Haven't cruised in 15 years. Questions!

Hello all,  I'm new to the site. I have learned quite a bit while perusing the boards. I haven't been on a cruise since 2003 and so much has changed it seems. I am booked on Adventure of the Seas at the end of October and I'm so excited! I have a few questions if you guys would be so kind to answer. Any tips and tricks would be welcome as well!

Do I buy the airport transfer from rcl or would taking an Uber or taxi be better?

Is buying airfare through air2sea worth it? I am flying in the day we depart.

I chose my time dining. If we decide we want to eat in the main dining, do I make a reservation? 

Can you freely walk around with alcoholic drinks? We are smokers, so just wondering if we can leave a bar with our drinks to go to a smoking area. (Sad you can't smoke on balconies anymore) 

Do you get cell service on the ship or are there wifi spots?

That's all I can think of. I had a couple other questions answered just by going through the boards. 

Don't know the answers to all of your questions but:

13 minutes ago, Rebecca Ann said:

I chose my time dining. If we decide we want to eat in the main dining, do I make a reservation? 

You can, or you can just turn up and wait to be seated. There might be a wait of about 20mins at peak times. If you want to make reservations, you can do so before your cruise via the cruise planner on RC's website or you can do it when you're on-board. 

13 minutes ago, Rebecca Ann said:

Can you freely walk around with alcoholic drinks? We are smokers, so just wondering if we can leave a bar with our drinks to go to a smoking area. (Sad you can't smoke on balconies anymore)

Yes, you can pretty much take your drinks anywhere. Only place we weren't allowed them was when we were in the pool on Navigator in 2016. 

4 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

Since you are flying same day.  i would look at Air2Sea that way if you have flight problems RCL is responsible for getting you to meet the ship.  Uber is probably cheaper then tranfers, but have them qoute you a price and compare. 

I was thinking the same thing with air2sea. I'm unable to fly in the day before like I would've liked to. Can you buy a transfer at the airport? I thought you had to do it ahead of time. Thank you for your input. 

4 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Yes, you can pretty much take your drinks anywhere. Only place we weren't allowed them was when we were in the pool on Navigator in 2016. 

I'm pretty sure you can have drinks in the Solarium (adults only pool).  At least we did when we were on Liberty in 2017.  

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ann said:

Do you get cell service on the ship or are there wifi spots?

Yes, the ship has both at a cost...

Cellular service cost will vary based on provider. Cost for internet access over wifi will vary based on desired "speed" and number of concurrent devices connected.

My Time Dining - You don't have to make reservations but like at any land based restaurant if you show up during peak dinner hours without a reservation you may have to wait for a table.   I often make reservations ahead of time (before sailing) then adjust them on board to suit the day.

Air2Sea - sometimes cheaper than direct, sometimes more than direct, but they have a limited safety net in the event of flight delays.  Read and ask questions to make sure you understand how it works.

Transfers - typically a ride share or even a taxi can be cheaper than the ship transfer service, especially for two or more people.  Adventure in October so Port Everglades right? (Fort Lauderdale)  Ride share is under $15 with tip, taxi ~ $22 from Fort Lauderdale airport. 

The ship has a cell tower on board they activate once away from land.  For most cell phone carriers it's pretty expensive, especially the data services which is where most people get surprise bills a few weeks after the cruise (from their cell phone provider).  If you understand how to turn of data roaming and avoid using it for voice calls the small charges for each text can be economical if you keep your texting to minimums. 

The general wisdom is to turn on airplane mode on board to avoid surprise charges from your cell phone company.

TMobile

$5.99 per minute for voice calls

$0.50 to send a text, $0 to receive text

Verizon

$2.99 per minute for voice calls

$0.50 to send a text, $0.05 to receive text

AT&T

$3.00 per minute for voice calls

$0.50 send/receive text

$6.14/MB data

ATT does have different cruise ships packages some with limited minutes for voice calls and some unlimited.  For example $100 for 200MB of data, unlimited voice calls and texting.

Wifi plans on board are typically cheapest if purchased before sailing.  On board the 24 hour pass rate is the most expensive way to go, buying "full voyage" plans are cheaper but not as cheap as pre-cruise. 

My phone and carrier support wifi calling so with a purchased wifi plan (called Voom) my phone works like at home in airplane mode and connected to the ship wifi.  Be aware ship internet is over satellite and not as fast as internet on land. 

Voom (wifi) is often put on sale in the cruise planner.  A recent July 4th sale saw many Voom discounts beyond the normal pre-cruise discounts.  

The mixed signals regarding the drinks around the pool is actually quite simple ..... If the drinks come from a place where they are served in a glass, like the R Bar (including a beer bottles), they would rather them not be on the pool deck for fear of breakage (transfer your drink to one of the plastic glasses they use at the pool bar and problem solved).  At least that's what we were told.

Make's sense to me.

37 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

The mixed signals regarding the drinks around the pool is actually quite simple ..... If the drinks come from a place where they are served in a glass, like the R Bar (including a beer bottles), they would rather them not be on the pool deck for fear of breakage (transfer your drink to one of the plastic glasses they use at the pool bar and problem solved).  At least that's what we were told.

Make's sense to me.

Even when in plastic 'glasses' from the pool bar, we weren't allowed drinks in the Solarium pool. And when I say 'in' , I mean sat on the side of the pool with our feet dangling in. Maybe we just got a fussy pool attendant though. 

3 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Hey Keeves!  Nice to see the face behind the posts!  How is the cruise going?

Going... gone. It was just four days, ended this past Friday. Our first cruise ever, and we'd do it again in a minute, if our finances allow. We'll see!

14 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Even when in plastic 'glasses' from the pool bar, we weren't allowed drinks in the Solarium pool. And when I say 'in' , I mean sat on the side of the pool with our feet dangling in. Maybe we just got a fussy pool attendant though. 

Really?  That was never an issue on Grandeur ..... There's even a SOLARIUM BAR!!  I can't imagine drinks not being allowed when there's a bar dedicated to the SOLARIUM.