Canada/New England

Sweety

When I did Anthem last year

Bar Harbor: Tour with "At Your Service Taxi and Tours". Charge was $80 a hour for a group of 6. Park entrance was $25. If going to Cadillac Mountain, do it first. Was a virtual parking lot heading up when we left.

Saint John: Rented a car with Budget. Then just drove around.

Halifax: Tour with "Halifax Titanic Historical Tours". Was around 4 hours, $67 USD/$79 CAD per person.

I'm sure prices have gone up since..

@Adriana Rest of what I did on Anthem...

Boston: Walked the Freedom Trail

Portland: Did a food tour (booked outside of Royal)

Also in Portland, be sure to stop by The Holy Donut. Did a donut run the first thing in the morning once we had docked.

Helps any give a quick glance at the live blog I had done... Just don't look at it if hungry.

Thank you!! I def want to do the Freedom Walk.... and donuts!! Sadly, I have a horrible aversion to any and all seafood. I have tried to retrain my palate, but have been incredibly unsuccessful, I have an unfortunate visceral reaction to it. Still, I try to do mind over matter and try it in certain places like New Orieans, so will try a tiny sample of lobster or something.

1 hour ago, Adriana said:

Sadly, I have a horrible aversion to any and all seafood. I have tried to retrain my palate, but have been incredibly unsuccessful, I have an unfortunate visceral reaction to it. Still, I try to do mind over matter and try it in certain places like New Orieans, so will try a tiny sample of lobster or something.

I'm not a fan of seafood.  I'll eat a shrimp but it's not elevated experience it is for some.  Same with crab, lobster, etc.  Sushi is meh.  I wouldn't pay for it beyond a California Roll with friends that crave it.

My son is confirmed allergic to shellfish.  Maybe he got it from my dislike of such things.  In my case it isn't anaphylactic like it is with him.

I'm the opposite of Matt.  I'll swim and dive with fishes all day but hate seafood.  He will eat them any day but refuse to swim with them. 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm the opposite of Matt.  I'll swim and dive with fishes all day but hate seafood.  He will eat them any day but refuse to swim with them. 

Haha! I am sooo with you on that!! Besides, after swimming with them, I CAN’T eat them! They will be my friends!

Hahaha!! Okay, so it really is just my excuse. I have no moral objection to it, I just tend to get squeamish. It all started at about age 7/8; after a day of deep sea fishing, my parents cooked the fish we caught. My Dad, God rest his soul, said grace and including thanking God for this great dinner. He thought injecting humor would be a positive; “We thank You for this dinner. This morning he was in school with his friends and now he is ...” Yeah, didn’t go over so well with me. Ever since, haven’t been able to stomach it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still pondering if I should go with Best of Acadia and Cadillac Mountain or the Intimate tour of Acadia. Frankly, all I want is to see and walk around the cool spots like Thunder Hole and Cadillac Mountain. I don’t want to drive past it, but rather get out and see it. It is also an excuse to buy new shoes as I def don’t have Mountain gear...if needed. I don’t care about the included lobster lunch in the Best of tour thanks to my seafood aversion (but will force a try of lobster, recommendations are more than appreciated). Any thoughts? Oh, and the Intimate tour does not stop for shopping (that hurts, but perhaps shopping elsewhere). I am a solo-er, so no real barriers.  Thanks! ?

I second the recommendation to try a "propah lobstah" if you get the chance. It's funny, the further north you go on the Atlantic coast, the tastier the lobster gets. Newport, RI lobster is good. Boston or Cape Cod, MA lobsters are better. But nothing beats a fresh lobster roll made just about anywhere in Maine. I spent four years there for college and never had better or tastier lobster.

4 hours ago, Adriana said:

Oh, and the Intimate tour does not stop for shopping (that hurts, but perhaps shopping elsewhere).

The area where the tenders drop off/pick up is just a quick walk away from the shopping area. Shouldn't be an issue if the tour ends with plenty of time to spare.

This is the spot where the tenders operate from: https://goo.gl/maps/g8dnFrZKiMU2

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I second the recommendation to try a "propah lobstah" if you get the chance. It's funny, the further north you go on the Atlantic coast, the tastier the lobster gets. Newport, RI lobster is good. Boston or Cape Cod, MA lobsters are better. But nothing beats a fresh lobster roll made just about anywhere in Maine. I spent four years there for college and never had better or tastier lobster.

Using this logic, try the lobster in Canada, eh?

On 7/27/2018 at 9:56 AM, twangster said:

Using this logic, try the lobster in Canada, eh?

Hahaha!! Excellent point!! The Best of Acadia & Cadillac Mountain that I have booked does include a lobster lunch. Who knows the quality or if any good, but is an option. I suppose I always hear of Maine lobster and for Canada, it is beer, maple syrup and cheddar soup. 

On 7/27/2018 at 12:32 AM, CGTLH said:

The area where the tenders drop off/pick up is just a quick walk away from the shopping area. Shouldn't be an issue if the tour ends with plenty of time to spare.

This is the spot where the tenders operate from: https://goo.gl/maps/g8dnFrZKiMU2

Thank you!! Good to know there is other shopping. There will be time for it if I take the shorter one, the Intimate look. I was just not sure if the other one stopped in a special place for shopping pertaining to that site, like to get Acadia items. If I am doing nature stuff and scaling a mountain (okay, so sitting in a tour bus then walking atop it), I want to commemorate it. That and if I have lobster. ?

11 hours ago, Adriana said:

Hahaha!! Excellent point!! The Best of Acadia & Cadillac Mountain that I have booked does include a lobster lunch. Who knows the quality or if any good, but is an option. I suppose I always hear of Maine lobster and for Canada, it is beer, maple syrup and cheddar soup. 

Then try lobster in both and let us which is better!