Chair hogs? Nooooooooooo!

This is  one of the  things that made me reluctant to take another cruise.   I don't want to stress over getting a chair. I realize it happens at popular resorts too. There needs to be a system where if you are away from your seat for an  extended period of time, they can remove your belongings!  Someone needs to develop some type of check in technology for checking in!

On 7/5/2018 at 7:05 AM, monctonguy said:

Well there seems to be many more chairs not taken then taken..so not really an issue I don't think.

Any of my cruises its been WAY worst than that.

Yes, there was chairs available because it was raining. Maybe the picture isn't as clear as I would like it but for example the magazines left were soaked, and there was no other towels on any other chairs because of the weather so it was pretty obvious who were the chair hogs, the only ones left. Probably they even forgot they left their towels there.

1 minute ago, Paml514 said:

This is  one of the  things that made me reluctant to take another cruise.   I don't want to stress over getting a chair. I realize it happens at popular resorts too. There needs to be a system where if you are away from your seat for an  extended period of time, they can remove your belongings!  Someone needs to develop some type of check in technology for checking in!

Even Harmony is a ship with more than 6000 passengers I was able to find a lounger whenever I need it. You shouldn't be stressed for it. ?

45 minutes ago, Paml514 said:

There is a system. If I see an unattended lounger for 30 minutes while I am waiting for one, the stuff gets moved, by me. They can take it up with me when they return. SImple. ?

2 hours ago, FloridaPhil said:

There is a system. If I see an unattended lounger for 30 minutes while I am waiting for one, the stuff gets moved, by me. They can take it up with me when they return. SImple. ?

I do the same thing. Besides, usually I'm done with the chair by the time the original occupant has returned.

2 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

Even Harmony is a ship with more than 6000 passengers I was able to find a lounger whenever I need it. You shouldn't be stressed for it. ?

I had the same experience on Allure, it gets busier at peak times but not terrible. There are enough considerate people out there who don't hog chairs.

8 hours ago, FloridaPhil said:

Does moving their stuff include turning in the towels for credit on YOUR account (so you can keep the set you checked out)?

8 hours ago, FloridaPhil said:

There are signs that explicitly mention the 30 minutes.

On my last cruise on Harmony, I was at the pool at around 8 am on a sea day and planned on staying at the pool most of the day.  I had my laptop to get some work done, my headphones, a book, and my drink package.  So I was set for the long haul.  I found a decent spot for my wife and I, although there were not many available at 8 am.  The two chairs next to us had towels and sandals on them, much like the pictures above.  Other than a few trips to the bathroom, I never left my area (I skipped lunch).  At around 3 pm two older people finally showed up to those chairs, picked up their towels and shoes, and left.  They didn't even sit in the chairs.  These were in a shaded area, so pretty prime real estate.  I wanted to say something to them, but I was so stunned that by the time I got over my shock they were gone.  I do not understand how people can be that rude.  I pray that karma comes around on people like that.      

22 hours ago, JBC said:

On my last cruise on Harmony, I was at the pool at around 8 am on a sea day and planned on staying at the pool most of the day.  I had my laptop to get some work done, my headphones, a book, and my drink package.  So I was set for the long haul.  I found a decent spot for my wife and I, although there were not many available at 8 am.  The two chairs next to us had towels and sandals on them, much like the pictures above.  Other than a few trips to the bathroom, I never left my area (I skipped lunch).  At around 3 pm two older people finally showed up to those chairs, picked up their towels and shoes, and left.  They didn't even sit in the chairs.  These were in a shaded area, so pretty prime real estate.  I wanted to say something to them, but I was so stunned that by the time I got over my shock they were gone.  I do not understand how people can be that rude.  I pray that karma comes around on people like that.      

I'm with you -- Karma will take care of them .... have faith.

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

Come to think of it, instead of signing out a towel at all, I could just swing by the pool deck in the morning where there are unused towels available presumably laid out by the ship for any guest to use.

And free Footware too by the looks of it.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

That would be funny.  Sit on their towel.  Put on their flip flops.  Read their magazine.  Wait for them to return. 

That might be scope worthy. 

It would be a really funny scope if you lounged on a recliner in your swim gear ...... in January...... in Baltimore......on a snowy Grandeur.  You could even ask a passerby if they would help you apply sunscreen

IMG_4751.JPG

7 hours ago, coneyraven said:

It would be a really funny scope if you lounged on a recliner in your swim gear ...... in January...... in Baltimore......on a snowy Grandeur.  You could even ask a passerby if they would help you apply sunscreen

You pay for our cabins and be the odd stranger walking past on the snow covered pool deck...  in your swim gear.   Deal?

You won't have to actually apply any sunscreen, we'll just catch your response before ending the scope. 

In Missouri (and I'm sure other states), the highway patrol puts tow notice stickers on "dead" cars on the highway shoulder if they've been there say over 24 hrs or so. I'd like to have an equivalent system for pool decks. First and only notice attached with it's own clip (or use the occupants own clip) that says if you are not back in this lounger to turn in the slip and it's clip to the ticket dude in 45 minutes, he/she/it will remove your items to the deck lost and found pile and all unclaimed items by debarkation will be given away to port charities.

12 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

In Missouri (and I'm sure other states), the highway patrol puts tow notice stickers on "dead" cars on the highway shoulder if they've been there say over 24 hrs or so. I'd like to have an equivalent system for pool decks. First and only notice attached with it's own clip (or use the occupants own clip) that says if you are not back in this lounger to turn in the slip and it's clip to the ticket dude in 45 minutes, he/she/it will remove your items to the deck lost and found pile and all unclaimed items by debarkation will be given away to port charities.

RC technically has a program in that place, but I've rarely seen it enforced. 

While clearly not the case in the original photo of this post, one challenge is that people will place towels on a lounger and then jump in a pool or hot tub.  On a hot day floating in the pool for a while is quite normal.

This isn't meant to defend the chair hogs of the world.  Clearly dropping towels at 7am or when pools aren't even open yet is not an example of someone who is actively using the pool deck while also consuming a lounger.  

It's easy to just say "Royal should do X" but Royal isn't in the business of alienating guests and aggressively enforcing the rules will likely catch some innocent people in that net.  Royal publishes many rules for guests to follow on board and they hope guests will follow them.   This isn't the only example of guests ignoring the rules at the expense of those guests that do.   Unsupervised children who are misbehaving is another rule breaking item that irritates me.  Well behaved children are always welcome.

At the end of the day we all have to get along onboard and be aware of our impact to other guests in the actions we take.  Like in all things in life, some people are more considerate than others.  Just ask anyone who commutes the same drive everyday. 

On 7/13/2018 at 9:45 AM, twangster said:

While clearly not the case in the original photo of this post, one challenge is that people will place towels on a lounger and then jump in a pool or hot tub.  On a hot day floating in the pool for a while is quite normal.

This isn't meant to defend the chair hogs of the world.  Clearly dropping towels at 7am or when pools aren't even open yet is not an example of someone who is actively using the pool deck while also consuming a lounger.  

It's easy to just say "Royal should do X" but Royal isn't in the business of alienating guests and aggressively enforcing the rules will likely catch some innocent people in that net.  Royal publishes many rules for guests to follow on board and they hope guests will follow them.   This isn't the only example of guests ignoring the rules at the expense of those guests that do.   Unsupervised children who are misbehaving is another rule breaking item that irritates me.  Well behaved children are always welcome.

At the end of the day we all have to get along onboard and be aware of our impact to other guests in the actions we take.  Like in all things in life, some people are more considerate than others.  Just ask anyone who commutes the same drive everyday. 

I totally agree. 

As for the misbehaving unsupervised children I just don't get it. I was on Harmony a week ago, on Grease show you are supposed to have a reservation, that means that the kids inside should be with their parents. There were like 5 kids in the front row throwing popcorn to each other... Ok, that is a normal behavior for a kid, but when they ran out of popcorn the started to throw their beverages each other spilling all over the chairs, other passengers and the floor.

At this point I was expecting a parent to show up and put some order. Nothing happened, not even a RC staff did anything, they kept screaming, running, and hassling each other and other passengers until they got bored (obviously) and got out. ?