Something to ponder!

Out of curiosity, at what point does the sailing booking belong to the cruise line and no longer to the TA?  I would think it would be the 90 day out mark, since that's when payment in full is required.  If that's the case, once Payment In Full has been made...(It is understood that TA's still hold leverage to some degree as the company still wants them to aid in selling rooms) can you deal with the cruise line if your TA no longer responds to you?

I'm not sure a TA is ever out of the picture.  

Approximately 3 days before sailing the cruise planner is locked and the passenger manifest is closed so that it can be be submitted to the appropriate governments, but even that point should an emergency arise and you needed help, a TA may still be a valuable resource as opposed to calling them directly.

Well after a cruise I wasn't getting my C&A points.  Royal said I didn't sail, like I had cancelled.  A simple call to my TA solved it.  She had all the right codes and used the right terminology to fight my battle on my behalf.  Somehow the reservation number became changed in the Royal system but she pointed out the error of their ways and I got my points.  I can't imagine what I would have had to do to prove to them their system was wrong. 

I just thought of another time I engaged my TA mid-cruise.  I had a deal that provided two specialty dinners.  Normally only one is offered on any given cruise.  On Allure they were refusing to recognize both dining certificates.  I emailed my TA (yay Voom!), went off to have another drink and see the aqua theater show.  An hour later it was resolved and I got both my specialty dinners. 

She contacted the ship and pointed out the error of their ways.  Again, I'm not sure what or how I could prove to them they were wrong.

I really do not follow this entire discussion. Nowadays, when any idiot can get on the internet and search for the best price to travel his own way, the major selling point of travel agents is the pull they have in dealing with the big companies. If you buy a ticket on your own and something goes wrong, who you gonna call? But if you went through a travel agent, they will fight tooth and nail for you, whether before during or after your trip.

5 hours ago, Keeves said:

If you buy a ticket on your own and something goes wrong, who you gonna call? But if you went through a travel agent, they will fight tooth and nail for you, whether before during or after your trip.

This is probably number one reason I use a TA.

@mworkman.  I can relate to your question.  On my hawaii repositioning cruise (Radiance),  I used a TA.  About 180days out, we decided to upgrade from a balcony to a GS once I saw the deals and availability on line.  My TA went dark for a week - no out of office or back up plan for service.  My knee jerk reaction was, never again.  In hindsight, I could have handled very differently - but I felt trapped at that time.  I can go on with the rest of the story - but if I had a problem, it wasn't that TA (nor agency) to resolve it.  After the endorsement posts here about MEI, I decided to go back.  Life is good, not checking daily Royal's website for sales and feel confident about my TA.