Staggered Check in times?

We're sailing on Oasis of the Seas on Saturday. I intended to go to the terminal around 11:30 or 12:00 based on what I've read  - arrive early or late to beat the crowds.

Today I got an e-mail and a robo call from Royal Caribbean telling me to check in at 1:30 (based on what deck our rooms are on). Is this normal? When I got the first notification from my TA I thought "Uh, oh... sounds like they have to disinfect three decks..."

Soooo..... should I show up early, or wait till 1:30?

Here's the salient part of the e-mail from RC:

-------

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on April 11, 2015, onboard Oasis of the Seas. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive to the terminal based on the following times.

Guests on decks 14, 10, & 3 should arrive for check-in at 1:30 P.M.
Guests on decks 9 & 7 should arrive for check-in at 2:00 P.M.
Guests on decks 12 & 11 should arrive for check-in at 2:30 P.M.
Guests on decks 8 & 6 should arrive for check-in at 2:45 P.M.

We invite our Suite guests, Pinnacle and Diamond Plus members, and guests with previously arranged transportation to arrive anytime between 12:30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Oasis of the Seas.

Go normal time. If port is open, you can still beat the crowds.  They are trying to control crowds but I'd still get there whenever you were planning.  You're either sitting around at your house/hotel or in the port.  May as well be closer to the ship!

Go normal time. If port is open, you can still beat the crowds.  They are trying to control crowds but I'd still get there whenever you were planning.  You're either sitting around at your house/hotel or in the port.  May as well be closer to the ship!

Thanks, Matt! I think we'll go the earliest we can - my kids might hate sitting in the terminal, but I want to get on the ship, maybe eat some lunch and just get as much a head start on this thing as possible! While I'm sure the Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel, you're right, might as well be closer to the ship!

• 6 months later...

I just got that email/vm for the first time ever for my Majesty of the Seas cruise next week.

For some reason, deck 5 is the last to board.

I don't think so..I paid for a drink package the first day and I am not going to miss lunch either.....

See what happens when I show up at 10:30am like I have for every cruise so far with  no issues.

Never follow instructions! :P We were sitting in the hot tub, sipping on pina coladas, and it wasn't even 11 am yet. :D Others were just getting on their shuttles, heading to the port. Suckas! ;) Better to ask forgiveness than permission! We plowed on and even knocked over a few old ladies in wheelchairs! Nothing was keeping my wife from the Windjammer for another second more! It's cruise time! All bets are off! :lol:

Yeah.I will do what I have always done in the past. I love being some of the first on the ship...great time to explore, take pics and get settled in before she gets full and busy.

I am usually a meal plus a few drinks in and I still see people just showing up on the pool deck with their suitcases looking lost and trying to find somewhere to eat usually....not me!