Last Minute Packing Question

A few packing questions as we leave on Friday for our first cruise:

1. Can you bring a steamer with you? I see that there are no irons on board but was wondering if a portable electric steamer was okay?

2. What are you must pack items? I'm hoping I don't forget anything.

3. Bottles of wine - 750ml bottles only?

I would say no to the steamer.  No surge protectors, you might have two outlets available depending on your stateroom level. So I recommend that you make adjustments for what electronic you bring with you. As for wine, we like to arrive a day early and pick up ours up locally.  I have a fear of wine breaking in our suitcase, requiring us to wash all of our clothes on board or the night prior to getting on the ship.  Just pack to have fun!  Your on vacation....act like it and relax.  Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your cruise.

No to the steamer and/or irons. Must pack items.....passports. 2 x 750 ml bottles per stateroom. What ship , itinerary and port of embarkation? Also, are you getting to the port the day before you board (STRONGLY recommended)? :27_sunglasses:

7 minutes ago, rjac said:

No to the steamer and/or irons. Must pack items.....passports. 2 x 750 ml bottles per stateroom. What ship , itinerary and port of embarkation? Also, are you getting to the port the day before you board (STRONGLY recommended)? :27_sunglasses:

We are on Adventure leaving from Bayonne to Canaveral, Cococay and Nassau. We are driving up the morning of since we are less than 2 hours away. 

13 hours ago, mworkman said:

As for wine, we like to arrive a day early and pick up ours up locally.  I have a fear of wine breaking in our suitcase, requiring us to wash all of our clothes on board or the night prior to getting on the ship.  Just pack to have fun!  Your on vacation....act like it and relax.  Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your cruise.

Before your next cruise, try purchasing some wine skins from Amazon.  They work like a charm with carrying normal-shaped booze bottles in your luggage.

15 hours ago, smtwist said:

1. Can you bring a steamer with you? I see that there are no irons on board but was wondering if a portable electric steamer was okay?

No you may not

2. What are you must pack items? I'm hoping I don't forget anything.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/20/first-time-cruisers-the-most-important-things-pack-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

3. Bottles of wine - 750ml bottles only?

Correct

May want to pack Dramamine or Bonine if you have any concerns about motion sickness; much cheaper to buy on land than on ship, and the old adage about an ounce of prevention...

If you have a number of devices to charge, pack a USB charging hub. I have this model and it works very well / is compliant with the ship's safety requirements (i.e., no surge protector on it).

On 7/2/2018 at 7:31 AM, coneyraven said:

I know this isn't the first thing you think of ---- but we brought a First Aid Kit ..... you just never know when you're going to need it. 

I second this.   doesn't have to be a big expensive one.   something to cover you just "in case".  bandaids, tweezers, antiseptic, a few motrin a few ibuprofin,  maybe $7.00 at walgreens.    will not only save you money, but will save you TIME running around on the ship to buy this stuff.      

we always take some downey wrinkle release spray for any wrinkled clothes.    works pretty good considering you cant have an iron or steamer

travel sunscreen

ziplock bags. -  great for wet clothes or carrying snacks out to port

and it may seem like overkill but i always take copies of all health insurance stuff as well as a list of any meds with mg descriptions that my wife and I are taking.   i barely remember my own meds but have no clue what the mg's are and even more clueless on her stuff.       we had an instance on our first cruise where i had to go down to the sickbay and was glad i had that information.   made it much easier for the medical team to assist us.

17 minutes ago, SPS said:

As simple as it sounds, bring a HIGHLIGHTER. It comes in handy to mark the things you want to do/see in the Cruise Compass.

Yes!  I read on here last year to do this and it really helped us plan stuff.  I took several colors so that we knew who wanted to do what.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:43 AM, DunkelBierJay said:

I like to have magnetic hooks for hanging stuff like lanyards, hats, etc...

I second having magnetic hooks and also suggest bringing a magnetic clip or two.  These are great for hanging my fold-out dopp kit, hats, sunglasses, etc...and we like to use the clip for hanging cruise compasses and any messages for our room steward.

We made the mistake of bringing a short (3 ft) extension cord -- not a power strip -- on our last cruise (Oasis).  I figured it would be OK to bring because it does not generate heat and appears similar, at least conceptually, to a USB hub with a built-in extension cord that also splits power from one outlet into several USB ports.   But I learned the hard way, through a trip to the naughty room on deck 2 to access my luggage, that any extension cord is prohibited.  Probably because it would enable you to draw a potentially unacceptable/unsafe(?) amount of power from one stateroom outlet.

Great question -- we tapped into the brain trust of these boards ahead of our last cruise which greatly enhanced our cruising experience.

Great suggestions. I bought a USB port (non-surge protector) that I am planning to put in my carry on.

First Aid will definitely be a go. I already bought dramamine in case.

The magnetic hooks are smart too - going to pick some up at Target tomorrow!

18 hours ago, CGTLH said:

I've picked up one of these https://www.amazon.com/GPK-Systems-European-EU-Cord/dp/B00BR8EI84

Just make sure the device you plug in to it can support 240v. Works great with most USB hub style chargers and for laptop power bricks.

Or you could get one of these like i did...thanks to someone on here recommending it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

Or you could get one of these like i did...thanks to someone on here recommending it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please don't use that on a ship. Has a surge protector built in. 

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

17 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

I see that...looks like that won't be making the trip for cruises..will use it while abroad.

One of the best things that we pack is a clear shoe holder that fits over the bathroom door. We don't use them for shoes but put everything else in each compartment. They are under 10 bucks on Amazon.  You wont be able to completely close the bathroom door.  The other MUST HAVE's are an extension cord with multiple areas to plug in and an adapter that changes one outlet into 3 outlets and a small fan to help circulate the air in your cabin. We also like to bring extra $1 bills for a little extra tipping. Have a great time.  What ship and where are you going?

7 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

If you need an extension cord your room attendant will get you one.  Been there done that.  

Thanks for the suggestion to ask the room attendant for an extension cord -- we will use that on our next cruise!

• 9 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, JLMoran said:

May want to pack Dramamine or Bonine if you have any concerns about motion sickness; much cheaper to buy on land than on ship, and the old adage about an ounce of prevention...

If you have a number of devices to charge, pack a USB charging hub. I have this model and it works very well / is compliant with the ship's safety requirements (i.e., no surge protector on it).

awesome idea for the USB hub..got mine at "5 and below" lol winning ?