Overcrowding on Indy - Should I Be Worried?

With just 13 days until my cruise on Independence of the Seas, I must admit I'm starting to get slightly concerned about the number of reviews I'm seeing saying that she is overcrowded since her refit. 

My question is,  does anyone have experience of being on either Indy or another ship post-refit with extra cabins? Am I unlikely to find anywhere to sit on sea days other than my balcony or to get value out of my drink package due to overly long queues at bars (as some reviews have stated)?

Initially I tried to ignore them and thought "some people just love to moan" "I'll make up my own mind" etc, But it's difficult not to give credit to this point of view when so many of the reviews I'm seeing state it is a problem. 

I've never been on Indy before so unable to compare to crowd levels before refit. I've been on Navigator in 2016 in UK summer holidays when it was pretty much full capacity - it was tricky to get table in WJ/bars at peak times or loungers around the pool if arriving late in the day, but this didn't bother us as we knew we were sailing at peak time and always managed to find a seat somewhere eventually. 

Sorry for the long post but I'm sure you all appreciate how much I've been looking forward to my 2nd cruise - I want to enjoy the final countdown not be worrying that we're going to have spent a lot of money on a mediocre cruise. 

I was on Liberty recently and she has received the new cabins in her last refit.  I stayed in one of them.  I didn't feel the crowds more than any other ship.  I was on Freedom (some new cabins), Indy (before refit) and Liberty (most new cabins) all within 3 months of each other.  I never noted one feeling more or less crowded.  

People were complaining about the new cabins even before the refit began.  With that seed planted people will notice it when as you have indicated even on other ships on sea days the best loungers are taken (often by chair hogs - an increasing problem) or the Windjammer can be busy at peak times.  Muster seems packed on any ship but with people looking for crowds they find them in places they have always been.

Some people are overstating the numbers suggesting 500 more people.  To reach that every new cabin would need almost 5 passengers per cabin.  That's the exception, not the average.

If I started a rumor that deck 8 smelled like popcorn all the time there would be some that would board the ship and confirm the "terrible presence of popcorn smell at all hours". 

Go with an open mind and decide for yourself.  I'll be booking Indy soon and look forward to the changes.  

Any cruise is what you make it.  My virtual balcony didn't work that great on Explorer.  I could dwell on that and let it ruin the cruise or I could choose to move past it and not let it get to me.  Stuff happens in life everyday, on a ship and on on land.  For almost everyone who has experienced a mediocre cruise they themselves have played a role in that outcome. 

I have also been on Liberty post-refit twice during prime spring break. During both cruises, the ship had seen some of the highest numbers of passengers than normal due to the number of families onboard.  Were there crowds?  Sure but I can't say it would be different than any other ship. Windjammer was crowded but that is every ship and I just learned to eat breakfast or lunch in the MDR if I don't want to deal with the crowds.  Crowds were worst after muster drill and after shows.  Once again, I think that is typical on any ship.  Don't try to use the elevators then if you can manage the stairs. I am always very surprised by the packed crowds on the promenade during the "sales".  

We'll be on Independence in November and so look forward to hearing what you say about it!

2019 prices are up for a number of things including Voom.

I think its a safety measure.  Price them high for now and as it gets closer see how it plays out then adjust accordingly.  There will be sales between now and Feb. 2019 so lots of opportunity to best those prices for those that know how the game works.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:17 AM, twangster said:

People were complaining about the new cabins even before the refit began.  With that seed planted people will notice it when as you have indicated even on other ships on sea days the best loungers are taken (often by chair hogs - an increasing problem) or the Windjammer can be busy at peak times.  Muster seems packed on any ship but with people looking for crowds they find them in places they have always been.

Exactly! This is very much a "glass is half empty" type of scenario.

You'll have a great time on the cruise!