Dining at muster drill time

Dennis M

I reserved MTD times online for our Alaskan cruise next week. After reading some of the cruise compass information posted for the same itinerary I saw that the first night has muster drill at the time I have reserved. Will we now be considered to have no reservation and need wait for an open table? Should I try to change the reservation online or wait until we embark? 

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Strange that they would let you make a reservation for that time in the first place.  Usually, everything shuts down 30 min prior to the drill.

The computer program is probably assuming that ships leave port on the first day around 4:00 p.m. The cruise we are on does not leave Seward until 8 p.m and according to the cruise compass schedules I have seen the muster drill is starting at 6 pm. I had reserved 5:45 as our MTD selection for that day.

Just now, Dennis M said:

The computer program is probably assuming that ships leave port on the first day around 4:00 p.m. The cruise we are on does not leave Seward until 8 p.m and according to the cruise compass schedules I have seen the muster drill is starting at 6 pm. I had reserved 5:45 as our MTD selection for that day.

I would make your change now if possible.  If the drill is at 6pm that day, you won't be able to do your 5:45pm time regardless so why not just change it now?  Embarkation day is busy enough as it is, might as well take care of this before hand.

Royal's website is notorious for screwups like this. We booked a specialty restaurant on our first night leaving San Juan. When we boarded, we found out that the restaurant only opened after muster at 8:30 even though the others were open from 5:30 to 8:00 and then again after the muster drill. Of course, no one onboard could explain why they would allow a reservation to be made.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on Radiance when she leaves Honolulu on this years transpacific to Sydney. While the system has allowed us to make reservations for MTD at 8.15pm, check-in is scheduled between 4.30pm and 8.30pm due to a departure at 10.00pm.  I'm guessing that muster will be at 9.15pm so dinner will either be rushed or interrupted.

On 6/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, twangster said:

@KJ1231 is on Radiance this week (just got off today).

Their live blog is here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6616-radiance-sailing-62218-alaska-southbound/&page=1

Maybe they can give some fresh insight.  It looks like they had a 6:15pm MTD reservation.

We had a 6:30 reservation so went to muster and then directly to the dining room as did many others. We waited in line but didn't take long. There were 2 lines - one for those with reservations and one for the rest of the folks. Since we had a reservation we moved quickly. Others had white cards and were getting plucked out of line to enter the dining room through the doors on the opposite side of the ship. Not sure what that was about....