Cancelled without notice

Strange...my cruise was cancelled on me.   I never got an email warning me of anything!  Just all of a sudden, this email with all the cruise planner stuff refunded and lots of legaleze at the bottom.

not happy.

Dear George,

A change has been made to your reservation or guest status. Due to this new "cancelled" status in your reservation, we have cancelled all reservations made using our Cruise Planner pertaining to each guest listed below.

Reservation Number: ____
Cruise: 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
Ship Name: Liberty Of The Seas
Date of Departure: 23-Sep-2018
Departing From: Galveston, Texas

3 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Sorry you're having to go through this, but ......You won't get an email or a notice ..... it's on your reservation paperwork that you get when you first book the cruise.  Although, I am curious, did you book through RCCL or through a Travel Agent?

through the website.  now, the connecting room with my wife's sister is gone, and we are on the hook for 600 more than what we had planned.

you would think they would send out a reminder a day or two before they cancel your reservation.

this is some bulls**t.

carnival might be my cruise line from now on.

I definitely get the frustration ..... and you're right, you would think you would get a reminder email a few days before Final Payment is due - it's not like it would be that difficult to do. ...... from a business standpoint, I don't understand why they don't ....... But at the end of the day, it's the passengers responsibility.

I hope you get things worked out.

As for Carnival --- I have no desire to even attempt that.  But that's just a matter of opinion.

Just now, coneyraven said:

I definitely get the frustration ..... and you're right, you would think you would get a reminder email a few days before Final Payment is due - it's not like it would be that difficult to do. ...... from a business standpoint, I don't understand why they don't ....... But at the end of the day, it's the passengers responsibility.

I hope you get things worked out.

As for Carnival --- I have no desire to even attempt that.  But that's just a matter of opinion.

i'm going to keep calling them back until i get someone that will actually help me, and not read a script that says "sorry".  they claim they sent a reminder on the 11th, but I checked my email....NOPE.

Just now, georgeh said:

i'm going to keep calling them back until i get someone that will actually help me, and not read a script that says "sorry".  they claim they sent a reminder on the 11th, but I checked my email....NOPE.

That's exactly what I would do ..... keep going up the chain of command.....

sorry to hear about this, it sucks.   primarily why i put all of this in the hands of MEI because if there's something that can be forgotten, I'll forget it.      For what it's worth, i've never received notice for any other cruise line either.    It's always been on the paperwork they provide when you book as well,  X amount of days final payment is due.   best of luck on rebooking.   keep us posted.   

FIXED.  After calling back 3 more times, I finally got a nice representative named Carlo.  He put me on hold, worked some magic, and now i will have about 500 bucks coming back on my credit card.

Amazing how 3 different people can't do anything and just say "sorry".  apparently, they have the power to do anything...most of them just don't want to help.

whew.  now i really need a vacation trying to get my vacation sorted out.

3 minutes ago, georgeh said:

FIXED.  After calling back 3 more times, I finally got a nice representative named Carlo.  He put me on hold, worked some magic, and now i will have about 500 bucks coming back on my credit card.

Amazing how 3 different people can't do anything and just say "sorry".  apparently, they have the power to do anything...most of them just don't want to help.

whew.  now i really need a vacation trying to get my vacation sorted out.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.  Thanks again for sharing your experience.  It is worth it to call multiple times if you do not get the answer you want. 

the funny thing is, after talking to this guy...they had an INCORRECT email address when they sent me the payment reminder on the 11th. 

I pointed out to him, that it was odd they seemed to have the CORRECT email address to send the cancellation notice to me.   i think that inconsistency might have been enough to get him to fix this for me, or he was just the right guy to talk to.  i dunno.

crown and anchor login has the same email as the RCCL login, which is how i booked it.   so just weird all around.  but at least it is fixed now.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you book directly through Royal, they don't send reminders.  If you book through a TA, some will remind you.  Some won't.

I guess it depends on the individual at royal you book with I booked with one of there senior trip planners although I am now represented by MEI and the booking was taken over by them the royal rep sent me a nice long notice that my payoff date was coming up in june I often keep a small balance owed to the last minute so that it is easier to make changes in the event of better deals as it is much harder to make changes after the booking is finalized 

When we booked (via the website) the documents explicitly stated that there will be no reminder for final payment - fine with me, I just planned accordingly. If this information was included in your documents, I don't see Royal at fault. But happy you got your problems solved anyway.

With all due respect, I cannot imagine having the final payment date so out of mind that I miss it. I certainly can’t imagine finding fault with RC because you missed your final payment. But then again, this IS 2018 where everything is someone else’s fault. Enjoy your cruise ?

I had the same issue with the wrong e mail address.  Took 2 years to straighten out.  like you numerous phone calls and up the chain of command.   We now use a travel agent exclusively and she is excellent.  If we do RC we can tell if the person is good or not after a couple of questions. Otherwise we immediately ask for a supervisor and don`t accept  bogus comments of they are not available when in fact they are.  There are a few good RC agents but most are fairly lazy and useless.  Carnival is the bottom of the barrel in our estimation.  Steer clear they are cheap for a reason.  

Yes - use a good travel agent.  No - Carnival would come up short for you.  In the past, we had almost 300 nights with Carnival, but cutbacks are enormous.  For instance, no live band for the evening show.  A "game show" is supposed to pass for the evening show some nights.  Sometimes the same show runs twice during a cruise.  RCL has some shortcomings, but overall does a nice job.

7 hours ago, Michael Vitale said:

With all due respect, I cannot imagine having the final payment date so out of mind that I miss it. I certainly can’t imagine finding fault with RC because you missed your final payment. But then again, this IS 2018 where everything is someone else’s fault. Enjoy your cruise ?

Well,  I login with my email address to both the main RC website AND crown and anchor.   Then they tell me that a letter got dropped from my email address somehow for the system that sends confirmations and reminders.

So, it does actually seem like it is at least partially their fault.  But thanks for the insulting input.

If you are booking is held by Royal and not a TA I've found the automated system is a good way to check email address. When getting the confirmation it states the email address used on the booking for where the confirmation will be sent.

Reservation Number: 866-562-7625; opt 4; opt 2 or 3; opt 1.