Voom on full ship

I’m booked on a “code red” cruise which means Overfull+++ Yes, a cruise from England during school holiday.  That’s cool, I love kids.  And I’ll hang out in the Solarium, hopefully.  But I just bought the Voom daily internet package and I’m thinking “was that dumb?”  Will the ship be so full that it really won’t work that well?

Voom won't go boom. More likely than not, slower than it currently is. The latency will increase as more individuals are logged in at the same time. Royal will most likely start logging people off if their system detects idleness for more than 30 mins. I'll let you in on a little secret, the man sitting behind the desk at the Internet Center, he starts logging people off, even though he and Royal will deny it, but I have friend let me in on this tidbit. Either way, you're on vacation, you're there to enjoy yourself. Have fun and be merry!! First round of Margarita's on Me!!

image.png.00567dea53f40155f3d35b4df17fe9b0.png

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

Voom won't go boom. More likely than not, slower than it currently is. The latency will increase as more individuals are logged in at the same time.

And because the wireless is provided over a large number of access points, the slowness will likely be isolated to the access points with the heaviest crowds trying to access them. As Matt noted in a couple of his Periscopes and live blog posts, part of the challenge with VOOM can be finding a part of the ship that's less crowded so you can get on an access point with lower load. Just doing that can significantly improve your experience with VOOM.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

And because the wireless is provided over a large number of access points, the slowness will likely be isolated to the access points with the heaviest crowds trying to access them. As Matt noted in a couple of his Periscopes and live blog posts, part of the challenge with VOOM can be finding a part of the ship that's less crowded so you can get on an access point with lower load. Just doing that can significantly improve your experience with VOOM.

This has been my experience as well - I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

I’m thinking the pool deck, though, might not be one of those low-load spots.  Ha!  Maybe they’ll have more access points there though.  I never had trouble before on the pool deck, but much less crowded. That’s really the only time I’m using it.  

5 hours ago, cruise-y said:

I’m thinking the pool deck, though, might not be one of those low-load spots.  Ha!  Maybe they’ll have more access points there though.  I never had trouble before on the pool deck, but much less crowded. That’s really the only time I’m using it.  

Not so sure about the pool deck. Usually those access points are ceiling mounted so they don't risk being damaged by passers-by and so they can get a decent "spread" on the signal they send out. Since the pool area is wide open to the sky, there's not a lot of places to put access points. Pool bar / Solarium bar ceiling, probably a few spots along the parts of the pool deck on each side that are covered, and that's about it.

Where you can definitely expect to find a high density of access points is the ship's centrum / royal promenade / royal esplanade area. Much easier there to put in more access points to manage the crowds better, although there's still an upper limit on just how many you can put in a given area. Too much signal overlap is just as bad as not enough signal...