It happened! I am on an upgrade wait list. Now what?

After all of these years, I got the golden ticket!  Well, not really but you should've seen the happy dance I did when I received the email from Royal asking if I wanted to be on the wait list for a Junior Suite!!!!  There was a small fee for the upgrade ($250).  So, I said clicked the "ADD TO WAIT LIST" button.  The message said something like - You are now on the wait list.  If this becomes available, we will call you.   

Now what?

Will they call me 5 days before the cruise to tell me I've got the upgrade?  Will I get an email?  What if I miss the call?  Please let me know your experience with this.  I am curious. 

Thanks!!!  

I got the same email (except mine said estimated upcharge will be $500 ? ). The fine print at the bottom said they will call once and if you don't answer you are marked off the list and they go to the next person. I clicked add to list because it's not set in stone. If they call and offer me the upgrade (even at a cheaper than stated price) I can still decline if its not in a location I am happy with. We are already in a midship, but slightly closer to front, oceanview balcony stateroom that we got for $1633 total for my wife and I on a 7 night Oasis cruise on Sept. 9, 2018 that we are very pleased with. 

I did read on cruise critic that when the junior suite upgrade is presented and you accept it you do NOT get double crown and anchor points. Which would be my only reason to consider paying more for the upgrade. The list of perks is pretty small for junior suites. Pretty much a slightly larger balcony room. We once had an oceanview balcony on independence of the seas that was on the hump so it had a larger balcony. They now sell that same room as a junior suite. I would not have paid extra for it. 

13 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

After all of these years, I got the golden ticket!  Well, not really but you should've seen the happy dance I did when I received the email from Royal asking if I wanted to be on the wait list for a Junior Suite!!!!  There was a small fee for the upgrade ($250).  So, I said clicked the "ADD TO WAIT LIST" button.  The message said something like - You are now on the wait list.  If this becomes available, we will call you.   

Now what?

Will they call me 5 days before the cruise to tell me I've got the upgrade?  Will I get an email?  What if I miss the call?  Please let me know your experience with this.  I am curious. 

Thanks!!!  

Please do not hate me for this?.  I got the same email, also did the happy dance but never got the call. I truly hope you are luckier than we were. 

It truly is not worth it as you don`t get the double points.  You do get the double points if you book a J.S. initially which we do so as to get points faster and move up the ladder.  We have not gotten the notice to move up to a  real suite.  We will welcome the opportunity if it arises tho.  Have a better chance at winning the lottery tho.  The key is not to miss the phone call.  Your caller i.d. won`t say RC and if you are like us and don`t answer an unknown number.  God bye upgrade.  We have had to change our habits because of these types of experiences.  

15 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

I got the same email (except mine said estimated upcharge will be $500 ? ). The fine print at the bottom said they will call once and if you don't answer you are marked off the list and they go to the next person. I clicked add to list because it's not set in stone. If they call and offer me the upgrade (even at a cheaper than stated price) I can still decline if its not in a location I am happy with. We are already in a midship, but slightly closer to front, oceanview balcony stateroom that we got for $1633 total for my wife and I on a 7 night Oasis cruise on Sept. 9, 2018 that we are very pleased with. 

I did read on cruise critic that when the junior suite upgrade is presented and you accept it you do NOT get double crown and anchor points. Which would be my only reason to consider paying more for the upgrade. The list of perks is pretty small for junior suites. Pretty much a slightly larger balcony room. We once had an oceanview balcony on independence of the seas that was on the hump so it had a larger balcony. They now sell that same room as a junior suite. I would not have paid extra for it. 

You are on a bigger ship that I will be on so that explains why yours is $500 and mine $250.  I hope I don't miss this call!  I often don't answer calls when they come from a weird # on my cell.  

I didn't realize that about the C&A points.  Oh well.  We are okay with the Junior Suite and know it doesn't come with the better Grand Suite and up perks.  But it would be nice to have a little more room.  

My fingers are crossed that we do get this upgrade!!!  Good luck to you too!!!!!  ?

38 minutes ago, SPS said:

FYI: Keep in mind that the call might come from a number you don't recognize in OREGON instead of Miami, Florida. So don't hit "ignore" on it!

I've received calls about my reservations from their call center there. 

Good to know!  Thank you!  Guess I will be answering ALL of my calls for the next 70+ days!  UGH.

21 hours ago, MDJ said:

We got an upgrade to an Owners Suite from a JS on indi the other week for £60!!

And there are NO normal oceanview balconies on the hump which are charged as JS. it's either a JS or a balcony, a larger balcony doesn't make a room a JS

That is awesome! I am sorry, must have misread or maybe they since upgraded the room I was in on Indy to make it an actual JS. It was quite a few years ago when we were on Indy.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, Jason.H. said:

Can someone please let me know how to get on the list? I'm a diamond Plus member and never got a call or email regarding An upgrade possibility. Please and Thank you. 

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Can someone please let me know how to get on the list? I'm a diamond Plus member and never got a call or email regarding An upgrade possibility. Please and Thank you. 

From what I understand it kind of just happens. Randomly.

Sort of like the Wheel Of Fortune. Luck of the draw.  Magic.    And then you get home and their is a  message on the answer machine:  Hi its RC we were calling to upgrade you. Sorry you missed our call. W e are calling the next guest on our upgrade list.  That is the scenario we try to avoid so the cordless and cell phone go everywhere when we are home or the landline is call forwarded to the cell phone when we are outdoors.   

I'm curious -- has anyone who has gotten these upgrade offers booked through a TA, or only direct booking with Royal? I'd imagine that Royal prefers to go with direct bookings since they have the direct phone line to the passenger, but I could see where they'd allow it to be "proxied" via the TA as long as the actual passenger gave written approval via email or whatever.

5 hours ago, JudiKenn1 said:

Wow!! How does one go about getting on an upgrade list?  Every time we call to see if upgrades are available we’re told no. 

Unfortunately, you cannot place yourself on the upgrade list. Either the cruise line will call you and offer the potential for an upgrade or they won’t.  It’s a crap shoot.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Blender41 said:

I just got an email today regarding the upgrade opportunity.  I am currently on the wait list.  We are already in a Jr Suite (hump room) and set sail on the Freedom in 2 days.  I guess we wait and see what happens!

Seems like today was the day that that tease, the upgrade fairy, was spreading the love. We got one too, to go from Interior to Oceanview Balcony on Enchantment for $100. Fingers crossed...

I got the upgrade email shortly after making final payment.  Funny though it was addressed to my daughter who is listed as the 3rd person in our GS.  But there was no mention of the price of said potential upgrade.  Guess we will wait & see.  74 days out currently.

2 hours ago, garrymorere said:

I did get “the call” and upgraded from interior to CP Balcony on Oasis for $50. Seemed like a steal! 

I agree - you got quite a good deal there! Event better (IMO) since on the Oasis class, you don't get a ton of ocean views unless you have an outward facing room. 

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

So how far out should I start answering every phone call?  And a little help for the newbie - what might I expect (I know, expect nothing!) as an upgrade from a GS and what would you consider a reasonable charge for it?

No idea. I've never gotten the call or the email, so cannot offer any advice.  Any call from 305 area code (Miami) would be a good starting point.  

I am the original poster of this post and I received the email and clicked it and was told I was on the "wait list".  I am STILL waiting for the call.  I've answered ALL calls and it's been SOOOOOO annoying.  Since June 25th, I've listened to 10 seconds of the following recordings:

1. Have you found Jesus...
  2. You've won a cruise...
  3. This is Audi calling from the warranty department...
  4. Do you have outstanding student loans...
  5. This is the IRS...

And last but not least, no one there after I say hello 3 times!!!!!

It's been oh so much fun answering all of these calls pre-recorded sales and fake/fraudulent calls.  I only have 23 more days until sailing so I will continue with the answering until then.  IF I get the call, the agent better hold on to their hat because I will flip out/scream/yell when I get the actual call from RC!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No idea. I've never gotten the call or the email, so cannot offer any advice.  Any call from 305 area code (Miami) would be a good starting point.  

Thanks Matt --- Good idea --- I generally don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize ..... At least it narrows it down a little.

18 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I am the original poster of this post and I received the email and clicked it and was told I was on the "wait list".  I am STILL waiting for the call.  I've answered ALL calls and it's been SOOOOOO annoying.  Since June 25th, I've listened to 10 seconds of the following recordings:

1. Have you found Jesus...
  2. You've won a cruise...
  3. This is Audi calling from the warranty department...
  4. Do you have outstanding student loans...
  5. This is the IRS...

And last but not least, no one there after I say hello 3 times!!!!!

It's been oh so much fun answering all of these calls pre-recorded sales and fake/fraudulent calls.  I only have 23 more days until sailing so I will continue with the answering until then.  IF I get the call, the agent better hold on to their hat because I will flip out/scream/yell when I get the actual call from RC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I happened to miss my call a couple weeks ago when I was in a show at Busch Gardens.  When I saw the number I reverse-searched on Google and saw a few results showing Royal Caribbean.  It was with that I determined the number was them, called back, said I was hoping it was an upgrade call I missed and am returning.  They had to do some research since they are so big but ultimately was transferred and assisted with my upgrade!

With that being said, I can't guarantee you'll have the same results, but if you do miss the call/ignore unknown numbers and get back pretty quickly, it is not impossible to get the upgrade if you were indeed called.  Good luck!!