Snorkeling

AngieS1966

Unlike SCUBA, snorkeling doesn't really have any formal training behind it or any requirements for training. Most excursions that offer snorkeling as part of the activity should offer a brief bit of instruction to people who are new to it so they understand things like how to tell if their mask is fitting correctly, how to clear the snorkel tube after diving and resurfacing, etc. Good excursions will help the newcomers with checking the mask fit and fin sizing so they have as good an experience as possible, and will recommend the excursion to their friends and family.

FWIW, I'm probably the world's worst swimmer and I was able to figure it out my very first trip to the Caribbean maybe 25 years ago now, with no lessons besides the 15 minutes we got on the beach at the start of our excursion. Hardest part for me was getting used to the feeling while breathing through the tube, as it's easier than you think; once I realized I didn't have to breathe so hard or so quickly, I relaxed and was able to enjoy it fully.

The hardest part is convincing yourself it ain't hard!  People have a tendency to "compensate" for the breathing tube when there is no need.  Just breath normal!!  One way to help is to start breathing thru the tube before you even go under so you settle into it.

I will never forget my first snorkeling experience. I had gone with a sorority sister (alumnae, we were not kids) and in Mexico, thought it would be fun. We got on the excursion boat, they gave us instructions and me in my anxiety filled mind about swimming freely and alone in the open ocean with all sorts of sea monsters and no one to drag my lifeless body to safety once I couldn’t breath took over. I went over the process over and over and over. My sister was laughing at me. Once it was time to get out of the boat, I was the last person and in tears. I wouldn’t get fully in the water. To this day, my sister mimicks the tour guide; “Senorita, you must let go of the laaaadder! You must let go of the ladder!!” So I did... then, “Senorita, you must let go of the rope!” Oh, the agony! I let go, began swimming, crying, hyperventilating and swallowing water. Then, it all clicked together and I was 100% fine. It was super easy, didn’t die, and actually loved it. So yes, the toughest part is getting over it and realizing it is easy. I am usually pretty darn well put together and don’t lose it, so for that to happen, it was really scary. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. Go for it, you will love it!