Global Entry port experiences?

KLA

So, I *finally* pulled the trigger and applied for Global Entry. I know that this is available at a limited amount of ports, and I wanted to find out what experiences have been like from others using Global Entry when returning from cruises. Any insight?

I'm kind of hoping this means we just get more time on the ship before leisurely walking off to make our noon flight ?

We just got ours and our next cruise is not until September so I'm also interested about the port.  One good thing is as soon as we got our  ID number we entered it into our airline profile.  This is supposed to get us TSA precheck automatically.  So at least maybe the pre and post cruise experience at the airport will be improved.

So far Global Entry (or GE) is not applicable to cruise ports, at least that I am aware of.  

The TSA Precheck that came with GE is why I did it years ago - for flying.  

Mobile Passport has no bearing or dependency on GE.  Anyone can use Mobile Passport.   

Having said that, in 2014 coming off a West coast cruise to MX, I decided to use my GE card at US Customs upon arriving back into Long Beach.  I had my actual passport book that I used to board the cruise so I figured what the heck?   

Guy looks at it curiously, swipes it, looks me in the eye,  says thank you and handed it back to me.  Done. No questions, nothing else.  Easiest return off a cruise ever. 

Had it for a while now. As mentioned above, TSA Precheck is great. At port of Miami, a worker was walking around the baggage claim calling out for "Global Entry". We responded and were led to the front of the same line as everybody else............it worked, but awkward.

Port Everglades had a dedicated line, but it is not always manned. One time last year at FLL(off the Indy T/A), there were workers calling for Global Entry to go to a specific line that was very short. It depends sometimes on which terminal you dock at(FLL)

So far(a year and a half or so) it has saved us a few hours of waiting here and there. I like it.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

So far Global Entry (or GE) is not applicable to cruise ports, at least that I am aware of.

It’s being honored at Port Miami (where my next two cruises depart from) as well as sometimes from PE from what I’ve heard. 

But, as you mentioned, mostly interested in the Pre Check thanks to some upcoming work travel. 

Used it at Canaveral twice ... both times no special line existed but I asked one of the staff and was walked past the line and directly to a customs agent ... yay Global Entry !!!

Tried to use it in Miami three times .... abundant signs on walls and a global entry line ... blocked and not open. Asked staff ... Global Entry not honored in Miami. Boooo Miami !!!

Have been told that Fort Lauderdale and Tampa honor it but haven't tried either one since I signed up ... Tampa next week though so look for a July update on Tampa.

• 10 months later...

sorry for digging up an old thread ... any updated information RE:  global entry at the Port of Miami?  

I'm returning Friday from a Navigator sailing, but haven't been through the port of Miami since Royal opened up their new Terminal A.  Would be nice if GE kiosks were operational here!

20 minutes ago, PurdueFlyer said:

sorry for digging up an old thread ... any updated information RE:  global entry at the Port of Miami?  

I'm returning Friday from a Navigator sailing, but haven't been through the port of Miami since Royal opened up their new Terminal A.  Would be nice if GE kiosks were operational here!

When I disembarked Mariner in Terminal A the only interaction with any people I had were the people who stopped me in front of some sort of monitor, scanned my face, and then waved me along - they actually didn't even talk to me, ask for my passport or any ID. I was fairly sure I'd be tackled going out the door for missing customs or something, but I guess that's how Terminal A is now (i.e. really fast!).

We used Global Entry while boarding Ovation in Vancouver yesterday and it was very nice to by-pass the much longer queue for standard screening.  At customs we were directed to a separate lane and done with the agent very quickly.  The whole thing probably took less than one minute after entering that area.  Not sure how many other ports have the customs on the front end but if the ease of this is any indication of how it is on the back end it is well worth it.

The bad part is customs screening was the last step before boarding the ship so it doesn’t change much until you get to that point.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to share some new information.

I began my renewal process for Global Entry in Feb. 2020.  I paid the fee and filled out the application....just to be told a few weeks later that the offices were shutting down.  IMO, I shouldn't have had to be re-interviewed since this is a renewal, but for whatever reason, they insisted that I must schedule an interview.  My application was conditionally approved, but I had to make an appointment for an interview to complete the process.  No appointments available since Feb.

I just happened to check the GE website today (https://ttp.dhs.gov) and it seems that they have started scheduling interview appointments.  Mine will be Jan 5, 2021.  YEP...5 months from now.  I have to go to Dulles Airport so it's not that big a deal for me.  At any rate, for those of you who have been in my <limbo> situation, check and see if you can now schedule an appointment.

19 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

Keep checking for appointments.  Mine and my husband’s were months out but I checked the web site every few days.  One night I found appointments for both of us the next day.   Same thing happened with my daughter.   

Thanks !  I don’t think I would have done this.  Appreciate the suggestion.

I'm not sure we will be renewing our GE. 5 years ago we got it because ports and facilities that recognize GE were supposed to be the coming "thing".

In all the flying and cruising we did, there were 2 times it helped. I would ask at every port we would embark or disembark about GE, almost nobody was participating, and they still don't.

Maybe stay with the Known Traveler or such to keep Pre TSA if it's less of a pain.

4 hours ago, L454S said:

I'm not sure we will be renewing our GE. 5 years ago we got it because ports and facilities that recognize GE were supposed to be the coming "thing".

In all the flying and cruising we did, there were 2 times it helped. I would ask at every port we would embark or disembark about GE, almost nobody was participating, and they still don't.

Maybe stay with the Known Traveler or such to keep Pre TSA if it's less of a pain.

I can certainly understand this.  I originally got GE b/c I was flying internationally so often.  It makes getting back into the US a LOT easier.  But now that I'm retired I don't expect I will be traveling internationally that much.  I will keep it for 1 more 5-year span and if I don't use it much I will probably just to Pre-Check the next time.  Frankly, I think Clear will turn out to be a much better investment that GE with all of the COVID mess (once we start flying again).  Clear has definitely saved me more time and frustration than GE ever did. 

18 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to share some new information.

I began my renewal process for Global Entry in Feb. 2020.  I paid the fee and filled out the application....just to be told a few weeks later that the offices were shutting down.  IMO, I shouldn't have had to be re-interviewed since this is a renewal, but for whatever reason, they insisted that I must schedule an interview.  My application was conditionally approved, but I had to make an appointment for an interview to complete the process.  No appointments available since Feb.

I just happened to check the GE website today (https://ttp.dhs.gov) and it seems that they have started scheduling interview appointments.  Mine will be Jan 5, 2021.  YEP...5 months from now.  I have to go to Dulles Airport so it's not that big a deal for me.  At any rate, for those of you who have been in my <limbo> situation, check and see if you can now schedule an appointment.

If it makes you feel any better I had to schedule an interview as the final step in my NEXUS renewal (which includes GE. If you cross the US/Canada border often NEXUS is absolutely worth the $50). I think they reserve the right to interview you but it seems like for all intents and purposes they're trying to make sure that you are who you say you are.

I thought at some airports they allowed "walk-ins." Like if you happened to already be at the airport you could stop by and see if they could take you. Of course that would only be convenient if you lived close to participating airport, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've stopped doing this with the pandemic happening.

24 minutes ago, KJones said:

I thought at some airports they allowed "walk-ins." Like if you happened to already be at the airport you could stop by and see if they could take you. Of course that would only be convenient if you lived close to participating airport, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've stopped doing this with the pandemic happening.

I wonder if that's true for Dulles.  Somehow, I don't think so.  No way am I going all the way over there just to be turned away.