Symphony LIVE with Joe - B2B around the Med!

Joe01

9 hours ago, Ray said:

Just remember joe in your own words on CC while on harmony cruise you actually liked BB , it was only after watching videos on YouTube after returning home you got a dislike for him. So may be same again here!!! 

If you are going to make such comments throughout the rest of my review, please unsubscribe. I'm trying to enjoy my vacation alongside providing something constructive to the boards. Mind your own business and don't drag up comments from a year ago.

FYI - I had BB twice and didn't care for him the first time either.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

How are you enjoying the room? Do you find the Abyss to get in the way of your view? Your comment about the noise is not the first I've heard of. I've never been brave enough to book one of these for that reason. 

It's a great room. Nice view. I don't mind the Abyss, but it is an obstruction on the view of the AquaTheater. I can still watch the Aqua Shows from the balcony though. There is some noise, but that's OK. However, Playmakers is loud when there is a world cup match.

7 hours ago, Joe01 said:

If you are going to make such comments throughout the rest of my review, please unsubscribe. I'm trying to enjoy my vacation alongside providing something constructive to the boards. Mind your own business and don't drag up comments from a year ago.

FYI - I had BB twice and didn't care for him the first time either.

Your constant critism of a certain person is not constructive in fact it could be classed as harassment or if in a place of work bullying. 

You've made your point you don't like him you don't have to bring it up every chance you get, and as stated I was only going by your comments, let other people make up their own minds without your constant barrage of abuse at BB

17 minutes ago, Ray said:

Your constant critism of a certain person is not constructive in fact it could be classed as harassment or if in a place of work bullying. 

You've made your point you don't like him you don't have to bring it up every chance you get, and as stated I was only going by your comments, let other people make up their own minds without your constant barrage of abuse at BB

I don't believe the OP has done anything but express a dislike for a certain Cruise Director's style/approach.  There's nothing wrong with mentioning that, so long as there is no use of profanity, personal insults or anything else abusive.

Based on what I've read in this thread, there's nothing abusive going on here.  

If you feel there is an issue, please feel free to reach out to me or another admin and we can look into it. Thanks.

In all my years of following live blogs, I have never, here or anywhere else, come across a disruption such as this, in someone's live blog.  A live blog is one's personal account of their vacation.  It takes time, effort, commitment, funds (for VOOM) to put one together.  We all have differing viewpoints.  That's what makes the world go around.  However, let's show @Joe01 some respect by allowing him to continue his live blog without whatever this is.    

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In all my years of following live blogs, I have never, here or anywhere else, come across a disruption such as this in someone's live blog.  A live blog is one's personal account of their vacation.  It takes time, effort, commitment, funds (for VOOM) to put one together.  We all have differing viewpoints.  That's what makes the world go around.  However, let's show @Joe01 some respect by allowing him to continue his live blog without whatever this is.    

Thanks @Lovetocruise2002. I would like to think that I am providing something constructive to this forum by doing this live blog. People who don't like it can read another thread. I'm giving up my vacation time to do this.

Let's get back on track. All are welcome to join provided that interactions are kept friendly, as this blog usually is. Much appreciated, Joe! :95_v:

Just been to the gym. I guess that is where forever single people like myself spend a lot of their day. I am not used to working out on a ship. Symphony has a fantastic gym facility though. I recommend it if you are not looking to gain a stone over a cruise.

Captain Rob is doing his Welcome Aboard reception tonight. I don't do formal on cruises, but will try to come along so I can see him in person. I've heard that he is a great Captain. I've had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Johnny on Allure and he set the bar high in terms of Captains. Captain Gus on Harmony was also very jovial. It will be cool to have an American Captain. I wonder if we will ever see one from the UK. 

Dinner at Windjammer as usual. Not sure what else I will do tonight. Planning to stay up as late as possible. Getting off ship tomorrow in Marseilles as I am in need of practicing my French. 

As Michele says, Ciao Ciao for now!

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Are you planning to see any shows?  I would love to hear some feedback on Flight as there has not been much out there for that show.  I know it was not ready when the ship first started sailing.

I am definitely going to see the Aqua Show from my balcony. I've also heard great things about 1977 (Ice Show) but may wait for that on the 2nd cruise. I can't remember what one Flight is. Will check for you.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Flight is the Royal Caribbean created theater show.

Thanks. It hasn't appeared in the Compass yet. I might tag along although will probably walk in. Not wanting to make reservations. I probably won't do Hairspray though. At least it isn't Cats. I hope Royal are binning that when Oasis goes to drydock.

I'm just back from the whirlpools. Went to the cantilevered whirlpool, which is excellent, but given that it is for over 16's only, I wish that the lifeguards would send the children away. They were loud and playing around as if it were the outdoor pools. I was under the permitted age to use the Solarium when I first cruised, but I at least respected the rules. Why aren't these children doing the same? 

It never seems to be a huge issue in the main whirlpools, but seems to be with the Solarium. Ironically, they hate if there is a well behaved child using the Solarium facilities. The blatant lack of parenting gets on my nerve as well.

Kids - you have Splashaway Bay to scream and splash to your heart's desire. I wouldn't enter that space, please don't enter the adult's space either. 

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

On Anthem in the solarium I saw a child around 10 yo say to their father:

"Dad, am I suppose to be in here? it says over 16".

If they were simply walking through on their way to another part of the ship, isn't that allowed? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Matt say on a podcast episode that children can pass through the Solarium without issues as often it's a necessary step to reach some other area like the main pool or one of the restaurants. They just can't stay there for any meaningful length of time.

I know the Solarium on Anthem is all the way forward on its deck, so the likelihood of it being used as a "walkthrough" is a lot lower, but it is possible -- someone in a cabin all the way forward on Deck 13, even most of the way forward, could use the "hidden entrance" to the Solarium's lower level, then go up through the Solarium to Deck 14 and out onto the main pool area. You also have the outdoor observation wings on the Deck 13 portion of the Solarium, just to the side of those "secret entrance" doors, that AFAIK are open to everyone. So I'd like to give this 10-year old and his dad the benefit of the doubt, especially since the kid was clearly aware and trying to do the right thing.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If they were simply walking through on their way to another part of the ship, isn't that allowed? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Matt say on a podcast episode that children can pass through the Solarium without issues as often it's a necessary step to reach some other area like the main pool or one of the restaurants. They just can't stay there for any meaningful length of time.

I know the Solarium on Anthem is all the way forward on its deck, so the likelihood of it being used as a "walkthrough" is a lot lower, but it is possible -- someone in a cabin all the way forward on Deck 13, even most of the way forward, could use the "hidden entrance" to the Solarium's lower level, then go up through the Solarium to Deck 14 and out onto the main pool area. You also have the outdoor observation wings on the Deck 13 portion of the Solarium, just to the side of those "secret entrance" doors, that AFAIK are open to everyone. So I'd like to give this 10-year old and his dad the benefit of the doubt, especially since the kid was clearly aware and trying to do the right thing.

My girls are going to have to cut through the Solarium on Mariner next month.  Our room is on Deck 11 and to get to pool and WJ they would have to cut through unless they go down to Deck 10 and then back up the other way.  But they know not to stay and to walk the perimeter only.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Where they were was not a transit area.  Note dad's response was not  "it's okay, we're just passing through". 

About to go to 80's night. Summary of today will come soon after.

Is it just me or is the World Cup becoming extremely annoying? Maybe I am biased as I am the only male in Scotland that hates football, but it is just so loud on the whole of the Boardwalk and I can hear a lot of it even with the balcony door closed. If they really want to show it, why not in the theater?

Sorry to sound like a moaner, but living in a city like Glasgow where there are football fans everywhere, I would appreciate not dealing with them on vacation.

80's Party:

Just returned. It is a great event. I highly recommend it if you sail on Symphony. CD Michele was excellent hosting it and the staff were very fun and high energy.

It starts with about 30 mins where the DJ plays some songs to get the crowd in the mood. The Entertainment team then arrive although the first proper event of the show is a number by the Royal Caribbean Dancers. I always love watching them (although often for eye-candy ). 

Following the dancers, Michele, Margot and the Entertainment team (aka Youth, Sports and CD Staff) arrive and the official party begins. They do it for around 30-40 mins. It is great fun. Mostly rock music. There was also a number with the male members of the entertainment team and a few occasions where the staff tried to get people to dance.

Definitely on par with 70's night, although I think that the CD can make or break this and we were lucky with the CD.

Summary of today coming later. Ciao Ciao for now!

50 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Sounds like your having a great time! Only another 24 days before I will be stepping through the same areas as you on another B2B SY. Enjoying the live blog and can't wait to see where your adventures take you this week and next.

Thanks! I'm loving it. Hopefully Michele will still be here for you as well. I don't know how 80's night would work when he leaves. Margot will still be there though and she is great.

Sorry all - I've been a bit light on the blogging the last few days.

Went to the 4th of July celebrations last night. It was just a bit too crowded in the Royal Promenade, however that was not the main issue. The worst thing about it was the Royal Caribbean singers. I admit to being someone who has no patience for singers who think that they are better than they are, but I just found them very irritating and even when Michele was speaking, they were trying to take the limelight. It was like watching John Blair do the Neil Diamond act all over again. It's a shame though as Michele and the entertainment team tried their best, but those singers were enough for me to leave. I'm sure it was the same singers who did the 50's and 60's party on Harmony last year and were the exact same there. I felt that they tried to take over the limelight from the CD & team there as well. Luckily at HM's 4th of July, they had the guy playing Danny Zuko in Grease do it. He was much better and could actually sing well (and was easy on the eye).

7 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Does anyone have any questions about what I have been doing or about any events?

Would like to hear about how Marseilles was when you get some time, along with the other ports you had decided to visit instead of staying on the ship. But not a rush! Please enjoy your trip and don't feel pressure to post here every single day, never mind multiple times a day. As @CraftyCat05 said, you're on vacation and that's the priority!

Hello all. For this sailing, we are in a Deck 7 forward Virtual Balcony cabin. 

There is a lot more motion on the ocean on SY than her 3 sisters, however I am feeling slightly unsafe in this cabin. The ceiling seems to bang quite loudly at regular intervals. Is it just the location that makes it feel so much more rocky?

4 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Hello all. For this sailing, we are in a Deck 7 forward Virtual Balcony cabin. 

There is a lot more motion on the ocean on SY than her 3 sisters, however I am feeling slightly unsafe in this cabin. The ceiling seems to bang quite loudly at regular intervals. Is it just the location that makes it feel so much more rocky?

Ocean conditions vary.  The engineer in me very much doubts Symphony is any different in design from a hull perspective compared to Harmony.

I'm on the transatlantic in October so I'll let you know ?

I've been a bit light on the reviewing, but I have seen both ice shows this week and can provide some thoughts.

1977 was fantastic. Great theming and some great uses of technology to enhance the show. I really liked it.

iSkate 2.0 was also good. It really showcased the excellent abilities of the skaters, however my one criticism of this show is that it didn't flow very well. It felt like several 1m30 numbers one after the other, some of which were completely different (e.g. Total Eclipse of the Heart followed by Heavy rock music). It just seemed to lack an easy to follow storyline. Not the fault of the skaters though - a very talented cast.

Also a bit annoyed at the inclusion of a song from the Greatest Showman. That movie seems to be shoved down people's throats these days. My favorite ever movie came out this year and has a soundtrack with a few songs that would have worked for an ice routine, but it is less well known than TGS. 

19 hours ago, Joe01 said:

iSkate 2.0 was also good. It really showcased the excellent abilities of the skaters, however my one criticism of this show is that it didn't flow very well. It felt like several 1m30 numbers one after the other, some of which were completely different (e.g. Total Eclipse of the Heart followed by Heavy rock music). It just seemed to lack an easy to follow storyline. Not the fault of the skaters though - a very talented cast.

Interesting. I want to say that this was the name of the ice show that was presented on Freedom back in April, and I had the exact same feelings about it. No real coherent storyline, just the word "Freedom" over and over at the start of each segment, with different themes around the idea of freedom (flight, liberation, equal rights, etc.) set to totally different styles of music in each set. I'm assuming your showing didn't say "Freedom" for each set since that wasn't your ship, but was it a similar kind of idea?