Guaranteed & Overbooked = BUMPED

So I'm sitting in the Baltimore cruise terminal waiting for someone to cancel on the Grandeur which is overbooked so I'm assigned a cabin and allowed to board. We purchased 2 guaranteed cabins and a reserved cabin in a group. One guaranteed cabin assigned a room number weeks ago. The other wasn't assigned and confirmed still "guaranteed" as late as 2 days before sail date. During check in were notified of an overbooked cruise and we need to wait for a cancellation (not just a no show) in order to to get cabin. RC has our $ for months. There were dozens of avail cabins in all categories when we booked. Just tried to save couple bucks with "guarantee". 

To say we're frustrated is an amazing understatement. How often does this happen? What's the policy on guarantee and overbooked? Is this how RC treats passengers? New to this experience after a dozen cruises on other lines. 

SSSSSSSS

What Should You Do If You Get Bumped?

In the unlikely event that you do get bumped, here are a few tips for making the best of the situation:

Don't panic. When you get that fateful call or email, the best advice we can give is not to get too upset. Take a deep breath, and remember that you can still salvage your vacation.

Know your options. In most cases, you'll have to choose from the basic options of accepting a refund for the now-canceled cruise or rebooking a comparable sailing, whether that means on the same ship but a different date or a different ship on a similarly scheduled itinerary. (Other options may apply.) The line will often include incentives like onboard credit for those who rebook and, possibly, airline change fees.

Negotiate pleasantly and patiently. While the line will contact passengers or their travel agents outlining the proposed options, what you ultimately get may depend on your ability to negotiate. If not explicitly offered, ask about reimbursement for nonrefundable fees or cancellation penalties you may incur for things like prepaid hotel stays, car rentals or airfare. If you don't like the options for what the line deems a "comparable" cruise, come prepared with your own alternatives.

"If there's something that's truly reasonable, it certainly never hurts to ask," says one former head of corporate communications for a luxury line. "I think the key is to ask ... but also be nice," he adds. "That person that you're dealing with is probably under a lot of stress as the result of high call volume. They might well feel like they just messed up your vacation, so it's never ever a happy occasion."

Most important, ALWAYS make sure you have a backup plan at your port of embarkation, should the need arise AND get Travel Insurance!  A must have. Check with your credit cards to see if this is offered, usually it's free. If you don't have it, GET A CREDIT CARD THAT HAS IT!!  IT'S FREE!!!!

I was never aware that cruises could actually over book like airlines until a few weeks ago when I read about the same situation on another line.  @SSSSSSSS, I really hope this works out for you.  The situation I read about prior, the people were allowed to board (with their luggage in tow) and they found out just after muster drill what their room was.  Puts a new meaning in "last minute" but it did work out for them.  How incredibly frustrating though.  Perhaps make your feelings known once the dust has settled and you have a room and perhaps they can reimburse you with OBC or something.  I'm not sure about the fine print on guarantee bookings so I don't know for certain what grounds you can complain on but I would most definitely give it a try.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Never heard of this..airlines are notorious for it...but they have to "pay" up when this happens I believe or at least they usually do.

However, this is a little different..u cant just get the next ship in a cpl hours to the same port.

I would be losing my mind and cool right now to say the least...I hope even if they do get you on that your compensated!!!

I wonder if this is a risk that is tied to the fact its a "guaranteed cabin".......I have done that before with no issues but now would make me 2nd guess that choice in the future

46 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I wonder if this is a risk that is tied to the fact its a "guaranteed cabin".....

That's what I meant earlier by not knowing the fine print....definitely not a risk would want to take in the future if this is tied into the fine print...especially not after hearing about this and the other post I read from about two weeks ago.

Am I the only one that is suspicious of this post..... He says he's sitting in Baltimore at the port, saying he may get bumped (a situation many of us have never heard of - when it's a guarantee cabin, it means it's GUARANTEED --- yet, instead of trying to get it resolved, he has the time to ...

1) Register into this blog

2) Respond to the email to officially become a member

3) Write a single post complaining --- then never responding ---

It just seems suspicious to me --- I find this scenario very hard to believe

13 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Am I the only one that is suspicious of this post..... He says he's sitting in Baltimore at the port, saying he may get bumped (a situation many of us have never heard of - when it's a guarantee cabin, it means it's GUARANTEED --- yet, instead of trying to get it resolved, he has the time to ...

Must have gotten on board and is enjoying the cruise. 

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

So, it's not just me? Nice touch with the quick pounding out of 8 letter S's as a user name, too.

I was curious and looked it up, and there was a Grandeur sailing yesterday...LOL thought that may be a clue as to the authenticity of the post.  I jumped into the Cruise Critic roll call and no one there posting a complaint like this. 

8 minutes ago, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

I was curious and looked it up, and there was a Grandeur sailing yesterday.

LOL, I did the same thing!  If that were me, I believe the last thing I would do is sign into a Blog to complain and ask questions. I think I would be raising holy hell at the port! LOL 

34 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

LOL, I did the same thing!  If that were me, I believe the last thing I would do is sign into a Blog to complain and ask questions. I think I would be raising holy hell at the port! LOL 

Exactly ..... which makes me suspicious of the post to begin with.  I notice @SPS sort of got the same vibe. 

While I’m not saying the above scenario is impossible, I find it highly unlikely. Royal knows in advanced the bookings on their cruise.

Also, in a recent booking we spoke to a few royal Caribbean employees regarding the policy of Staterooms Guarntees, because one of our parties wanted to book it. The response was similar amongst the employees, if you book the guarantee and they don’t have the room in that category then they offer upgrades to members from the stateroom category you booked to higher staterooms (assuming starting with C&A then offering to others). If they are still not able to open a room, the upgrade then becomes the new guarantee stateroom.  Basically it was they offer upgrades to all the above category’s to free up your guarantee.