Luggage delivery

Teresa

When we sail Disney, we always get our luggage before dinner on the first night. Is that true of RC? Anyone experience any problems with luggage delivery?

I am hoping to only have to carry on medications, bathing suits, and sunscreen. I do not look forward to carrying on dinner clothes.

With the single exception of the one time one of our bags was held in the "naughty room" because it had a bottle of wine in it that needed to be verified that it was, indeed, wine, our bags have been delivered to the cabin by 4:30 PM.

Now, that said, the official promise for delivery is 8 PM. 

The main dining room doesn't enforce their dress suggestion on the first night because they do expect that some people may not have received their luggage in time. Of course, it is just a "dress suggestion", so it's not enforced on other nights either. :)

On our last four cruises we have gotten our bags delivered very quickly.  Twice on the Allure we had all of them by 2:00PM and once on the Jewel they were in our room waiting for us when they opened access to the rooms at 1:00PM.  In all three of these occasions we were at the port early enough that we had to wait for boarding to begin, (10:30-10-45).  Our last cruise a couple of months ago on the Jewel we checked in about noon and had all our bags by about 3:00.  Everyone's experience may differ but we have had good luck the last few years.

Only once (from Bayonne where the longshoremen cut off our luggage tags...they did it to a lot of other cruisers on that cruise...ongoing labor disputes. Don't tell me that they didn't do it...they cut off not 1, not 2 but 3 luggage tags from one suitcase...one of them being a metal tag with metal straps. No way did they all just happen to "fall off"..and YES, we did tip the baggage handler at the pier very generously, as we always do) did we ever have any trouble getting luggage delivered in a very timely manner. On that particular trip we had to go down and claim our luggage from the lost and found. Other than that, luggage has always been delivered by early evening at the latest.

We have, more often, had luggage trouble on the other end. Sometimes we have found our luggage in a completely different end of the luggage area at the terminal. Once we had luggage in 3 separate areas of the terminal. That can be a nightmare...but usually luggage handling is pretty smooth considering the number of pieces of luggage that they handle day after day.

The end of our association with Car-ni-val was over a botched luggage issue. Too long a story to tell here but we had a nice personal "interview" with Port Security which easily could have produced a very bad ending to our otherwise rather enjoyable cruise..closest my husband has come to being arrested since his unfortunate brush with the air marshall on a flight to a Christmas cruise a number of years ago. Also a very long story. LOL

• 3 months later...

I'm paranoid about the treatment and prompt delivery of my luggage so I give 10 bucks in total. To me that's allot but they have me over a barrel, those are my bags!

I didn't even know you should tip until they asked for it, how can you say no? Knowing my luck they'd deliver it late or kick it down the hall.

What?  I'm confused.  So tips are prepaid.... except for the luggage handlers?  We need to pay them extra?

I'm not talking about guys at the parking and bus areas.  I'm talking about onboard delivery.  Usually once I arrive in my cabin the bags are already there - because I was out wandering around waiting for them.

I have a silly but related question. If one were to arrive at the ship after 2pm, presumably after cabins are available, are you permitted to just take your own luggage on board?

We have always been "first in line" folks, but we are considering a different approach next time.

Scratching my head a bit thinking about this one, but I think you are always allowed to carry your own luggage on board aren't you ?

I know we always have a carryon bag or two that we take through security with us, I don't recall ever seeing a sign saying you have to leave bags of a certain size with the porters, just did it for convenience and never thought about it. I don't know if at some point they would say "hey your carrying on too much, go back outside".

If it was a short cruise and you were able to pack everything in carryon style luggage I don't see how they could not let you carry it all on with you ... bigger suitcases could be a real pain going through security, lining up for seapass, etc. but I still suspect you could if you wanted to.

Scratching my head a bit thinking about this one, but I think you are always allowed to carry your own luggage on board aren't you ?

I know we always have a carryon bag or two that we take through security with us, I don't recall ever seeing a sign saying you have to leave bags of a certain size with the porters, just did it for convenience and never thought about it. I don't know if at some point they would say "hey your carrying on too much, go back outside".

If it was a short cruise and you were able to pack everything in carryon style luggage I don't see how they could not let you carry it all on with you ... bigger suitcases could be a real pain going through security, lining up for seapass, etc. but I still suspect you could if you wanted to.

I had never seen it done either? Gererally, for a seven day,We both have a 20" and 25" on 4 wheel spinners along with a back pack. They are easy enough to maneuver and it appears that by 2:30 the flow of people embarkig is sporadic. Just wondered if anyone else had done this. Although I am fully capable of relaxing, I just don't feel settled until the bags are unpacked.

What's considered a "generous tip" for the luggage handlers? I've heard $1-2 per bag. Would this be considered industry standard?

$1-2 per bag is normal.  Generous would be above that, in my opinion.

What?  I'm confused.  So tips are prepaid.... except for the luggage handlers?  We need to pay them extra?

Yes, it is customary to tip the porters that take your luggage on embarkation or disembarkation

You can carry on luggage with you but you will have to lug it around until your stateroom is ready.  Even just getting from the curb to check in and up to the ship is an ordeal with a lot of luggage.