Ocean conditions during New England/Canada cruise

I was up that way last week on the Grandeur (much smaller ship) and the seas were fine until we got up near Halifax.  It got really windy and there were pretty good sized waves.  They were putting out sea-sickness bags by the elevators.  Other than that one night, it wasn't bad at all.  I think it had more to do with the winds than anything else.

Adventure at 137,236 Gross Tons is a large ship.  To put that in perspective she is larger than any Carnival Cruise Line ship.

I've got one kid (now 20) who is very sensitive to motion and back seat car rides can be tough on her yet she has no issues on cruise ships. 

As an experienced cruiser who doesn't get sea sick I bring motion sickness medication with me.  I'd talk it over with their doctor and bring some over the counter medicine with you just in case.  There are some non-drowsy version I prefer. 

The ocean anywhere can have smooth days and not as smooth days.  I think most people worry too much about it and that itself can have stress effects on a vacation.  By bringing something and being prepared your mind can be at ease knowing you are prepared. 

I get motion sick easy too.  I take over the counter non-drowsy chew-able tablets.  I also have to take it when I fly along with having a window seat so that I can see out.  The big ships are better for the movement sensitive.  I will be on the Radiance in a few weeks so with it being smaller, I will use the tablets for sure.  As a note - I have never gotten sick on any cruise.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The ocean anywhere can have smooth days and not as smooth days.  I think most people worry too much about it and that itself can have stress effects on a vacation.  By bringing something and being prepared your mind can be at ease knowing you are prepared. 

Exactly!  Ocean waves are created by weather which is constantly changing and waves can travel hundreds of miles so the waves may or may not be created by your immediate weather.  

I have 4 kids: 2 never get sick but 2 are more prone to motion sickness (car, plane and only with bigger waves on a cruise).  I always pack over the counter medicine.  While they don't need it every day of the cruise, they usually need it for 1-2 days as we've always seen bigger waves at some point in the cruise.  Better to have it and not need it!

10 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Ocean waves are created by weather which is constantly changing and waves can travel hundreds of miles so the waves may or may not be created by your immediate weather.  

Bingo. It's like asking if it will rain in NYC in March.  Maybe? Maybe not.

Don't let weather, regardless of time of year, stop you from booking a cruise. Bad weather can happen throughout the year, and no one can predict it.  You should make plans that work for you and roll the dice. More than likely, it will be fine. ?