Unexpected Heart Attack

Well to say that we are extremely grateful is an understatement!  Hubby had a heart attack this past Thursday, heart cath on Friday to find what the doctors call the "widow maker" with the main artery in his heart 99% blocked.  They were able to fix it with a balloon and stint.  We came home on Saturday and other than being very sore is feeling pretty good. He has to take it easy for a few weeks.  I asked the doctor about flying for our Alaska cruise and he said he could fly in 4 weeks.  We were 2 days shy of the 4 weeks and the doctor gave his blessing.  I did have trip insurance but thankful that he is still here and to be able to still go.  Hubby is very active and that was in his favor too. 

8 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Great news on the recovery front. Good thing that an Alaska cruise can be wonderful just watching the scenery - it's one way to help assure that sufficient relaxation time takes place.

Yes it will be!  We have some excursions planned but nothing strenuous.

9 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Happy to hear that he is doing well. Enjoy Alaska it is beautiful.  If you are sea food lovers Copper River Salmon season is about to start.  It as most sea food is heart healthy.  Enjoy the cruise.  The scenery is breath taking.  

We both love Salmon!

Just now, henrysea13 said:

I am so very happy to hear of your great fortune life is so precious I hope you have many many more sailings together and enjoy every precious moment sail on my friends ?️

Very blessed and grateful for sure.  With only 2-5% even survive to get to the hospital.  We are high school sweethearts, married for 42 years and our plans are to grow old together!

May I ask what were his symptoms that lead him to get treatment? The reason I ask is that type of blockage is normally fatal, as you indicated, and most of us may not even know it is an issue until its too late. I hope you don't mind the question but most of us are too stoic to get treatment if we feel the pains so having an understanding of what it is like can help others.

What normal symptoms may be for one person will not always hold true for others.   Like the saying goes you know your own body.  Never blow off something as oh I`m OK or I will be fine or its just gas.    Five  years ago I was having stomach pains;  nothing intense.   I went to my Gastro.  Dr. and he said I was fine.  I knew I was not fine  so  I went to a 2nd Gastro Dr. who ordered an M.R.I.  with dye contrast and they found an aneurysm  and a dissection of my Iliac  artery.  Two stents later all is well.   So you just never know.   

2 hours ago, Tim B. said:

May I ask what were his symptoms that lead him to get treatment? The reason I ask is that type of blockage is normally fatal, as you indicated, and most of us may not even know it is an issue until its too late. I hope you don't mind the question but most of us are too stoic to get treatment if we feel the pains so having an understanding of what it is like can help others.

For the past 2 weeks he had a few chest pains that only lasted about a minute or so.  Then Thursday morning at 2:30 am, he had chest pain that went thru to his back and wouldn't go away.  I gave him 4 baby aspirins (equals 1 whole one) and took him to the ER (I wanted to call 911 and he wouldn't let me).  ER got in straight back and did blood work checking for the "t" enzyme.  He did have the enzyme show up but only slight. 2nd blood draw in 3 hours was up a little more so they admitted him.  At 3 pm same day, he had very strong chest pains and the nurses gave my nitroglycerin and aspirin and called the doctor.  More blood work was done and enzyme was up a good bit.  Having him already in the hospital is was saved him because treatment was done immediately.  For what it's worth, every EKG the normal (even immediately after this bad attack), his blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen rates were all good.  So being already at the hospital with our early warning signs is all that saved him.  If he had been out working or even at home, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

20 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

For the past 2 weeks he had a few chest pains that only lasted about a minute or so.  Then Thursday morning at 2:30 am, he had chest pain that went thru to his back and wouldn't go away.  I gave him 4 baby aspirins (equals 1 whole one) and took him to the ER (I wanted to call 911 and he wouldn't let me).  ER got in straight back and did blood work checking for the "t" enzyme.  He did have the enzyme show up but only slight. 2nd blood draw in 3 hours was up a little more so they admitted him.  At 3 pm same day, he had very strong chest pains and the nurses gave my nitroglycerin and aspirin and called the doctor.  More blood work was done and enzyme was up a good bit.  Having him already in the hospital is was saved him because treatment was done immediately.  For what it's worth, every EKG the normal (even immediately after this bad attack), his blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen rates were all good.  So being already at the hospital with our early warning signs is all that saved him.  If he had been out working or even at home, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Wow thanks for taking the time to explain. Glad all ended well.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:19 AM, whitsmom said:

Very blessed and grateful for sure.  With only 2-5% even survive to get to the hospital.  We are high school sweethearts, married for 42 years and our plans are to grow old together!

I am so so happy for you and your hubby.  Blessed is right and I want you to make sure you both relax and just enjoy the beautiful scenery.  Many many more anniversaries!!