When the ship is a rocking.....

Just back from my first cruise, a week on the Harmony, a VERY BIG ship.  Only our second to last night did we feel any motion on the ship, the rest of the time we never felt any movement, even when pulling in and out of ports!  That was awesome, so it makes me wonder about my next cruise on Adventure of the Seas, a much smaller ship by comparison - will I feel more motion?  Could it be bad?  Any times of the year that can be worse, or locations?  Thanks! 

I was just on Freedom a few months ago. She's very slightly larger than Adventure, so I'd say comparable. The only time we felt any motion was on the first two days, when the ship was going full-tilt at 17 or 18 knots and we also had some really strong headwinds. Then we'd feel the ship rocking ever so slightly, mostly at night when we went to bed as we were in a center-of-forward cabin on deck 8. It was a little disconcerting at first, but we got used to it quickly. Once the ship slowed down for port days, the rocking went away entirely.

Only my younger daughter got any seasickness, and that was after going to the Windjammer for lunch on our second sea day and sitting all the way aft, where the motion was the most pronounced. That required some Bonine to clear it out, but otherwise she was fine and the rest of us never even got to that point.

Since you're sailing in the summer months, the seas in the NJ area should be OK. No guarantees, of course, but definitely calmer than what you could find in the fall or winter months when Anthem is still making the rounds.

it can be more on the smaller ships and when I was on the oasis one of the officers made me aware of an interesting fact of the mega ships t6he felt motion is not necessarily caused by rough water alone the ships are so big that the wind blowing against broad side of the ship is like a giant sail pushing the ship back and forth causing felt motion but no matter what motion is felt in my experience from majesty to oasis and in between 2 bonine once a day will prevent any problems at least this has been my families experience sail on my friend  

@Blondie511 My daughter and I are sensitive to motion on ships.  I have found Oasis class ships to be the best.  My experiences on them are exactly as you describe, little to no motion, even with waves.  When we sailed the smaller ships, motion was more noticeable but not to a point where I felt ill.  My last cruise on Anthem, out of Bayonne, was the one and only time I actually felt ill some days.  I am still not sure if that was due to the make of that ship, being taller and more narrow, or that we encountered some pretty high waves sailing south into Florida and then back north again to NJ.  Adventure is a bit smaller than Anthem so it makes me wonder. 

Not sure if this will be helpful to you but we are sailing Mariner (sister ship to Adventure) August 13th.  We picked a room that is forward and up on Deck 11.  Not sailing the same waters as your path on Adventure, but I'll be live blogging and will be making notes on the motion.

There are a lot of factors involved with feeling motion and even the mega ships can be impacted.

Wave height, pitch and direction.  Wind speed and direction.  Ship heading relative to wind and waves.  Subtle combinations of all those can create more feeling motion on any ship.  

Always be prepared and have some motion medication with you.  Research a bit, look for non-drowsy variations, try them on land well before your cruise so you understand the side effects.  Talk to your doctor about it well before sailing.  That applies to any cruise on any ship.

My wife is probably too motion sickness and we've hit rough seas in Alaska, the Caribbean, and the North Sea. However, she's always been fine with a low, midship cabin. Even when it's been uncomfortable elsewhere on the ship, she was fine once she went back to the cabin. 

Think of the ship like a teeter-totter. You're going to have the most moment at the ends and the least movement in the middle. 

Also, keep in mind that the Adventure of still a big ship and larger than the biggest ships most of the other cruise lines have in their fleets. 

It really depends on the weather.  In March, my cruise on Harmony was getting really big waves from the Nor'easters. Yes, waves all the way from the Northeast coast affected the Caribbean. We needed a day or 2 of Dramamine and we experienced the same on Liberty.  My 2 girls are the most sensitive to motion and only feel sick with the bigger waves. Not really a big deal as I just pack kids dramamine, the ginger dramamine and regular dramamine.  All of that doesn't stop us as we also have cruises booked on Indy and Adventure.  I think I worry the most on Adventure as our cabins are far aft and I think we'll get more motion based on where are cabins are located but I like the configuration of a balcony connecting to an interior.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

There are a lot of factors involved with feeling motion and even the mega ships can be impacted.

Agreed.  Ship size certainly plays a factor, but ultimately the weather is the primary means of which there is "motion in the ocean"

My family sailed on Jewel (which is definitely on the smaller side) this past January and my father and I are VERY prone to motion sickness... like even a long car ride in the back seat is too much without motion sickness medication. We followed the advice that's out there to book rooms on a lower deck and mid ship and aside from the first night we hardly felt any movement. We did feel some on our last day on board which was a sea day and the ship was going faster than it had the whole week, but even then it wasn't all that noticeable. I only ended up having to take ginger Gravol on a few of the days, and for someone who has to take it before any car ride that's longer than an hour, that was a pretty big deal! All this being said I'm pretty sure we were sailing in quite calm waters most of the time so i'm sure you'd feel it a bit more if there was rougher waters, but for your "typical" cruising weather (relatively calm water and relatively "normal" wind conditions) it was perfectly fine for someone who's prone to sea sickness.

4 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hey, my mind isn't always in the gutter. Every so often it has to come out to feed.

I'm paid to keep mine in the gutter. (i'm a tv censor)

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

??

@Blondie511 apologizing on behalf of @JLMoran, @ellcee,and I for completely taking this thread off topic.

all my fault!

That`s the beauty of cruising. Nothing like being rocked to sleep.  Its a crap shoot .  The time of year and where you are sailing too. You just don`t know.  Tropical storms, nor Easter winds in winter,  trade winds in the southern Caribbean.   Anything is possible.  In the Grand Cayman`s we are running at a 50% as to if  we tender or not. The best tip we can give is don`t wait to take something for motion sickness.  Like pain med`s if you wait to long you can`t catch up.  If the seas are rough it really does not matter what size ship you are on.    We can tell you tho from past experiences that the M.D.R. and Windjammer will be pretty empty if the seas are rough.