Working out on a ship...

Just back from a week on the Harmony.  I am a marathon runner, so I was excited to try out the running track.  It is completely out of the sun, and has some stellar views of the water, one water fountain, and some “secret” lounges hidden along the track for prime ocean viewing too.  We even found the small area for dogs to do their business, but that is a different story.....anyways, running was HARD!  After three laps, I called it quits, not sure if it was the humidity, the heat, or what but i could not get my laps in.  I ran into other marathon runners all week, and they all said the same thing, so it is not just me.  Some parents let their kids run the opposite direction on the track, which is just rude, dumb, and dangerous.  The gym opens at 6:00 am and will be half full within half an hour.  By 8:00, good luck finding equipment!  There are no gym showers, but decent music plays throughout the gym, great modern equipment, and it is about 80 degrees there, so a bit warm to me.  Kids under 12 are not allowed in the gym.  Kids 13-15 need a parent to sign a waiver allowing them to use it all week, and then they get a wristband to wear all week.  Hope this helps any gym rats!

We typically go mid afternoon or after an excursion and haven't experienced crowds. Mornings are always crazy whether at a gym on land or at sea.

I do half marathon with a goal to do a full marathon by 50, so you might enjoy this podcast of the Royal Caribbean Blog about a runner who ran marathons on each of the ships. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-171-marathon-royal-caribbean-runner

I found Harmony to be the hardest ship to work out on.  I did my laps (not a runner at all) at 8 as I found the gym to be too crowded.  There are lots of coves for me to stop and do some body weight training (lunges, squats, etc). Lucky for me, most of the people followed the posted signs when running on my cruise in March and the only people going the wrong way were trying to get to a door.  The temperature was probably better (still hot and humid but not June hot).    My DH and older kids tend to work out at lunch time/early afternoon on sea days and even then it was really crowded where Liberty was empty around the same time.  I think the Harmony gym is too small for the number of passengers especially as there are more people who are wanting to work out on a cruise.

Coming from Colorado and living at 5,300' I always find exercising at sea level much easier. 

Mixed use of any space on a ship is tough.  There are some folks walking, some folks running, some with strollers, some with toddlers, some with drinks, some with food, etc.  On ships with the jogging track on higher decks this is even more pronounced because the "jogging track" is part of the primary public deck space. 

2 hours ago, rjac said:

I always get a good workout on any cruise ship with my unlimited drink package! Seriously, The Allure gym is way to small for the number of passengers, but the outdoor track is really great!:27_sunglasses:

i agree ? lifting pints of beer all day does wonders for the biceps ? but not so much the stomach lol 

We saw a few dogs last week that were definitely NOT service dogs.  Ladies brought them into the Main Dining Room at dinner time in their open “purses”.  The dogs were obviously very very spoiled by their wealthy owners I would say.   My son asked one lady if he could pet her dog and she said that it is quite mean and bites strangers frequently!  

2 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

Dogs are allowed on Harmony????

Royal has to comply with the ADA and other laws governing service animals.  The intent of the law in the US is to ensure people with a disability who need a service animal are not treated differently from businesses such as restaurants and stores.  For example, a blind person who uses a properly trained guide dog is allowed by law to take that animal with them into a restaurant or on a cruise ship.  

Service animals has to do their stuff so all ships have a designated relief area.

I will admit that I hadn't thought of the service dogs which I fully understand. It's the  other dogs that @Blondie511 references. If we are going by US law ESA pets are not ADA approved and should not be allowed anywhere where animals are not typically allowed.

My apologies to the OP as this is going way off topic for this thread.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:43 AM, Blondie511 said:

running was HARD!  After three laps, I called it quits, not sure if it was the humidity, the heat, or what but i could not get my laps in.  I ran into other marathon runners all week, and they all said the same thing, so it is not just me.

Same here, although my half-marathon days are probably over. For me it's not the heat and humidity because I'm accustomed to Texas heat and humidity.  I think it just reminds me of being on a treadmill and seeing the same scenery over and over.  One of the great things about running is seeing the ever-changing scenery, especially on new routes.  I'd much rather run on land in the ports of call where there is new scenery to explore, but I wouldn't be comfortable running in ports like Falmouth, Roatan, or Belize. Plus we normally have other plans and things to explore when in port.  So running on the ship is the best option, but I find it boring after a couple of laps. 

P.T.S.D.  new meaning is post traumatic ship disorder.  Service dogs is one thing but purse dogs give me a break. I might as well bring my pet tarantula with.  He provides me with comfort and could create empty chairs by the pool.    We find the gym on every cruise we go on is hardly used. That is probably the reason for smaller gyms on the newer ships I would presume.   Space saved  is money earned.