All access tour and dining package is it worth the money

DAVE(Darkcabbie)

I noticed that you can book a package that gives you a tour of the bridge , galley and engine room plus you get two specialty restaurants included which sounds cool but the price is $170.00 per person.

Considering that Chops & Giovanni's is $50.00 for the pair I am wondering if the the tour of the ship is worth the extra 120 bucks or is it well overpriced at $170.00 for the package.

Has anyone done this package and if so was it worth the money ? .

I noticed that you can book a package that gives you a tour of the bridge , galley and engine room plus you get two specialty restaurants included which sounds cool but the price is $170.00 per person.

Considering that Chops & Giovanni's is $50.00 for the pair I am wondering if the the tour of the ship is worth the extra 120 bucks or is it well overpriced at $170.00 for the package.

Has anyone done this package and if so was it worth the money ? .

When I did the tour, it did NOT include the two specialty restaurants. I did the tour on Oasis of the Seas in October.

If you're going with a family, it will get pretty costly.

It's up to you--if you're into technology, engineering, and behind-the-scenes, it's certainly a very neat experience. There's definitely no need to do it multiple times on different ships, but doing it once is certainly enjoyable.

Note that it'll certainly be more worth your money if you do it on a Freedom or Oasis Class ship, only because they're newer and the engine room, bridge, theatre, etc. are likely to be a lot more technologically-advanced and interesting.

If you're traveling with a companion, make sure that they're genuinely interested. If they're just neutral on the idea, tell them to go hang at the pool so you don't waste $150-$170 on them!

Hope that helps!

I wont spend that much money on a tour. Too rich for my blood

We are thinking that more & more now , it would help if RC gave more info of what you get for the money.

All they say is 2 specialty restaurants included plus tour of the bridge and engine room. Maybe if they explained in more detail what you get and maybe a souvenir I would go for it but at $340.00 they just don't sell it to us which is a shame because we would love to see the bridge.

We are thinking that more & more now , it would help if RC gave more info of what you get for the money.

All they say is 2 specialty restaurants included plus tour of the bridge and engine room. Maybe if they explained in more detail what you get and maybe a souvenir I would go for it but at $340.00 they just don't sell it to us which is a shame because we would love to see the bridge.

What ship are you going on where this tour *might* take place?

I'm sure the tour is very interesting and offers great insight into the operations of a ship.  I just would rather spend that kind of money in other places on my vacation, so I think it comes down to priorities.

I balked at the price when it was announced.  I'd love to see those parts of the ship but $340 for 2 people just isn't worth it to me.

For that price I want a very thorough tour of the ship. I want to see everything, not just a few areas. For a week onboard 1 fare sometimes is less than $700 and they want half that for just a behind the scenes tour? I agree, I would rather spend my money on something else. 

• 1 year later...

It was not worth the money for this all-access tour.They did not take us where they said they would. The tour guide was not the greatest. To be honest very boring!!

They did not offer any specialty restaurant for us just 175.00 per person, So save your money and do a trip on the islands.. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I guess if there is still anybody interested I will let you know. I booked the tour on Freedom of the seas. My son-in-law is a head of a electronics department where he works and was interested as I am. We did this tour on Carnival Freedom a few years ago and enjoyed all the behind the scenes excess stuff. We went from the bridge down where they store all the cargo to the coolers and freezers to the control room, engine room, laundry, galley and where the crew hangs out on their off hours, their own bars and play areas. INTERESTING for sure. Now, worth $150.00 ea. this time around, I hope so!!    

Also we got plenty of 8X10 pictures taken with the captain and different parts of the ship nobody else will see to add to our own taken though out the week . We also met with the dancers and actors that performed while we were there.

I guess if there is still anybody interested I will let you know. I booked the tour on Freedom of the seas. My son-in-law is a head of a electronics department where he works and was interested as I am. We did this tour on Carnival Freedom a few years ago and enjoyed all the behind the scenes excess stuff. We went from the bridge down where they store all the cargo to the coolers and freezers to the control room, engine room, laundry, galley and where the crew hangs out on their off hours, their own bars and play areas. INTERESTING for sure. Now, worth $150.00 ea. this time around, I hope so!!    

Also we got plenty of 8X10 pictures taken with the captain and different parts of the ship nobody else will see to add to our own taken though out the week . We also met with the dancers and actors that performed while we were there.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Back before we became D+ my husband and I took the All Access Tour (as D+ we now get some selected ship tours but trust me, they are nothing like the All Access Tour). I cannot remember how much we paid but it was pricey.

It was a very good tour and I felt it was worth the money but I can understand some thinking it is too much.

We got 2 chef's aprons and 2 nice totes as gifts. I use those aprons CONSTANTLY.

We were on the Radiance of the Seas. I will tell you one thing...they took us ALL OVER that ship. We even got a tour of the Captain's quarters which isn't part of the tour (more about that below). We went on a very extensive tour of the galley (it's a miracle how they feed all of those people at all hours of every day !!!), the theater, the crew area, including their dining room and "recreation" area, the bridge, the forward area of the ship where they stow and deploy the anchors, the laundry, the garbage and recycling area and the engine control room. The only place they did NOT let us physically enter was the actual engine room...but we did get to look in through a port hole.

How did we get into the Captain's quarters ? Prior to our cruise, the Radiance had been on a New England cruise out of Boston. Coming out of Boston harbor the ship ran smack dab into a Nor'easter (the same thing happened to us on the Explorer last year coming out of Bayonne on her repositioning cruise). The Radiance encountered a very large wave that broke over the 5th deck and the Captain had mentioned (during the Captain's corner talk) that he had photos of that wave. Since the All Access Tour consisted of exactly 2 people (my husband and me !...obviously the only 2 too stupid to pay that kind of money for a ship's tour !) the Captain took us to his quarters to show us that photo. The Captain has some NICE digs...but surprisingly, no balcony...at least on the Radiance. They told us that it is tradition that the Captain must enter the bridge from the starboard bridge entrance and the Chief Engineer must enter using the Port side entrance. It is bad luck if they enter the bridge from the other's side. Who knows how THAT got started. Therefore, the Captain's Quarters are always on the Starboard side of the Ship and those of the Chief Engineer are always on the Port side. Maritime traditions and superstitions are very interesting....

I will always remember that tour. I learned SO much about how the ship works and how they do so much with so little space (the laundry was amazing !). I know it was expensive but I think it was worth it.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

We went on the All-Access tour on Freedom of the Seas. DISAPPOINTED. It was not near as good as the one on Carnival Freedom. It was okay for $20.00, NOT $150.00. Pass if you are thinking about doing this. I believe you will be disappointing as we all were. 

I would rather put that type of money towards a dozen drinks of the day or 5 specialty restaurant dinners.   The discovery channel and the travel documentaries  have very extensive behind the scenes filming of the ships as they are being  built or refurbished. And those are free to watch over and over.

We did it on Oasis and really enjoyed it, but my husband and I are operational nerds.

We had a really in depth look at the aquatheater, the galley, the laundry, the engine control room, provisions (where they store all the food), crew hang out areas, and the bridge. Each stop had the person in charge speaking to the group. We were encouraged to take pictures.

I don't think I would do it on a smaller ship.