Dunn’s river falls injuries! Call me crazy, Mon!

Blondie511

On the Harmony of the Seas all week, and my family was in Falmouth, Jamaica, and we did Dunn’s River Falls.  I had no idea what a challenging experience that would be, and I do not remember reading anywhere that it would be hard to do???  I am 40 years old and VERY athletic- I run 30 miles a week and do CrossFit and lift weights, in other words I am NOT a wimp!  What surprised me was how hard it is - very steep in some places, very slippery in some places, sometimes the water is rushing down so fiercely that it is like swimming out to the ocean when a strong tide is forcing you inwards!  Some places you can not see where to place you foot or how deep it is!  The guides are GREAT, but one guide for a group of 30 some people means holding hands is critical and advising the person beside you!  I have a bunch of bruises, as well as my hubby, my Dad ( who is 69 years ) broke two toes!  One nice lady in our group,  in her 40s perhaps, tore her ACL!  She screamed and they had to get a board to lift her out!  ( she had an X-ray and an MRI on board the Harmony, if that makes you feel more confident about medical care onboard).  Has anyone else ever heard of injuries on Dunn’s river falls, or was my group just very unlucky????

You are most definitely not the only one.  I did it years ago too, more like way over a decade ago.  Hubby and I were in our mid-20s.  Group cruise, went with a bunch of friends, all around the same age, all relatively healthy people.  Anyway, that excursion was so difficult, I found it exactly as you described.  I did not even make it all the way.  A few friends and I backed out half way up, and that was already after numerous bruises.  I have not been back since, and I could not even imagine taking my kids now on that excursion.

Once was enough for us with our kids 10 years ago.  Very slippery.  Sign states no glasses.  Two people wore glasses and both lost them. There is no Lenscrafter`s on the ship so now you have no glasses.     We now do Jamaica  for the rum and the Blue Mountain Coffee.  Our advice to others would be save your money unless you enjoy getting beaten up. And that is an understatement.  Why spend thousands of dollars to get beaten up by a water fall. Go for the coffee and rum. 

2 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

We now do Jamaica  for the rum and the Blue Mountain Coffee

and my advice is after 2 cruises where I saw people receive fairly bad injuries at the falls one broken leg in 3 places he remained on the cruise in a wheelchair the other something to do with the spine she was taken off the ship I think this looks like an awesome excursion but don't try it unless you are in top physical condition heed the warnings and most of all buy the insurance the cost of treating an injury on a ship I'm sure would be financially disastrous oh and have a passport 

Wow, I am very sad for your experience.  The day we went was the July 4th equivalent in Jamaica so it was extremely crowded.  That being said, I knew of no injuries in our group or surrounding groups.  My father-in-law, (68yrs) was with us as were three kids (11, 13 and 14 years).  Slippery, yes, treacherous, yes, fun, yes.  Maybe a beach excursion for you and your group next time.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:16 AM, fonemanbob said:

Once was enough for us with our kids 10 years ago.  Very slippery.  Sign states no glasses.  Two people wore glasses and both lost them. There is no Lenscrafter`s on the ship so now you have no glasses.     We now do Jamaica  for the rum and the Blue Mountain Coffee.  Our advice to others would be save your money unless you enjoy getting beaten up. And that is an understatement.  Why spend thousands of dollars to get beaten up by a water fall  when you can stay home and get beaten up for free if you on the wrong side of the tracks.  If you know what I mean.  

I am Jamaican and I stock up on my rum and coffee.

• 5 years later...

Wildly dangerous. It would not be allowed in most civilised countries. Avoid avoid avoid. If you get hurt or lose a loved one don’t expect compensation. Beautiful but a health and safety nightmare. There are no safety measures in place. Strong current, slippery rocks, dangerous heights and no safety handrail. Protect your family and stay away. Remember “people have died here”

On 12/24/2023 at 4:37 AM, Rodders999 said:

Wildly dangerous. It would not be allowed in most civilised countries. Avoid avoid avoid. If you get hurt or lose a loved one don’t expect compensation. Beautiful but a health and safety nightmare. There are no safety measures in place. Strong current, slippery rocks, dangerous heights and no safety handrail. Protect your family and stay away. Remember “people have died here”

People have also died walking down the manicured & palm lined streets of Beverly Hills. I have done this excursion several times w/o incident. I certainly wouldn’t take a child but an able bodied adult with some common sense should have no problems completing the climb and meeting the donkey butt lady at the top (iykyk).