To move or not to move, that is the question ...

A cruise ship passenger demanded a full refund for his trip because his neighbors snored too loudly, even after Royal offered to move him. Seriously????? Royal Caribbean handled it great!! See the article below. Sometimes I can't believe what extent individuals would go. I wonder if someone passed gas on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, would someone file a lawsuit claiming they were "gassed out" !! ?

http://www.businessinsider.com/royal-caribbean-cruise-passenger-demands-refund-snoring-neighbor-2018-6

As well as loud talking and offensive language...which I think many people would complain about...wasn't just snoring.

That being said..how friggn loud was it? I have never heard anything in the next cabin on any cruise yet.

Royal offering him to go back to his original room.....I kinda get that he didn't want to do that as he was losing the upgrade because of someone else's noise?

I wonder what Royal would have done in the case of a sold out ship?

Having been in a balcony room with a connecting door and overhearing my kids getting into a somewhat heated argument one night, which was loud enough to wake my wife and I from light sleep, I can say that the conversation doesn't have to get that loud to be heard through the door. So if this person's upgraded cabin had one of those doors, I do see how this could possibly happen for the part about "...spoke loudly, argued and used offensive language."

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

As well as loud talking and offensive language...which I think many people would complain about...wasn't just snoring.

That being said..how friggn loud was it? I have never heard anything in the next cabin on any cruise yet.

Royal offering him to go back to his original room.....I kinda get that he didn't want to do that as he was losing the upgrade because of someone else's noise?

Good point! That never crossed my mind!!

I try to avoid connecting rooms.  Yes you can hear your neighbors.  On Freedom I heard cackling laughter or what at times sounded like noises an animal would make, like a random screech a large bird might make.  I was somewhat surprised to see a young couple exit the cabin one day as I was returning.  

I'm a sound sleeper so it never bothered me. 

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I've often wondered if they hold back a couple cabins from inventory to deal with issues on board, much like a large hotel would.

From the story I read, the main had accepted an upgrade before this. When he complained, they offered to move him back to the category that he originally had booked and paid for before embarkation. He refused and then made a claim for the refund. Thus, he could have avoided the snoring neighbor, but he would have needed to give up his upgrade, which he didn't want to do. Thus, he pursued a refund for his "ruined" cruise.

51 minutes ago, DocLC said:

From the story I read, the main had accepted an upgrade before this. When he complained, they offered to move him back to the category that he originally had booked and paid for before embarkation. He refused and then made a claim for the refund. Thus, he could have avoided the snoring neighbor, but he would have needed to give up his upgrade, which he didn't want to do. Thus, he pursued a refund for his "ruined" cruise.

Even more than this -- not only was his upgraded (due to a water leak), and then refused the downgrade, but they actually had another cabin become available the day after his first complaint, but he decided he would then wait and see (quote below, emphasis added):

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Ritson complained to cruise staff about his snoring neighbors twice on the night of December 18. 

The Royal Caribbean cruise ship management offered to move Ritson and his partner to an interior cabin that was equivalent to the one that the couple had originally booked, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. However, the tribunal heard that Ritson refused to accept the interior cabin, claiming that he "did not want to be downgraded." 

The next day, the cruise staff reportedly informed Ritson that another cabin was available for him. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Ritson told the management that he would let them know if he wanted to be moved.

It doesn't say whether this cabin was inside or balcony, but if he was willing to take a "wait and see" then I would assume it was equivalent to what he had at that point. Why on earth would he not just grab the newly offered cabin right then and there? That itself is fishy. And then one more cabin became available the final night of the cruise, but of course by this point the gent was on the full "my vacation is ruined" path and turned that down, too.

I really do have to agree with the outcome here. Royal gave this gent not one, not two, but three chances to relocate from the noisy neighbors. The first makes some certain sense to turn down, as does the last, but the second one he should have grabbed in a heartbeat if the noise and disruption was really that bad and the room was remotely equivalent to his upgraded one.

@JLMoran Royal did everything right and then some. There's simply no pleasing people.

The only time I wish I had the option to move rooms was on a sold-out New Year's Eve sailing on a Holland American ship. The room smelled so badly of smoke that they had to run an ionizer in the cabin and replace the shower curtain on drapes just to minimize the intense smell of cigarette smoke. I would have downgraded from the balcony we were booked in if I could have. Fortunately, it's the only time we really had any serious problems onboard or even with smoke when it was still allowed in staterooms.

On the Brilliance, we were on Deck 2 and had some toilet issues which our cabin steward said was an ongoing problem there. However, the office in charge of housekeeping tried to claim it was our fault and that we didn't know how to use the toilets. After a less than friendly conversation with him at the Top Tier C&A event, he changed his tone.

17 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I was thinking the same thing. I have never heard any noise from the adjacent cabins on any of our cruises.

Reading the article, it seemed as though Royal continually tried to remedy the situation and this guest just kept going on with a "wait and see" attitude.(It was EIGHT DAYS before he complained to the staff?!?!)

As for not wanting to be "downgraded", I'm sure Royal would have offered a refund and/or other compensation for the change in stateroom category.

3 hours ago, SPS said:

As for not wanting to be "downgraded", I'm sure Royal would have offered a refund and/or other compensation for the change in stateroom category.

Actually, he was originally booked in an inside cabin, and got bumped up to the balcony room because his cabin had a water leak. So his complaint about not wanting to be "downgraded" was already rather bogus since he would have just gone back to the cabin class he originally had.

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Actually, he was originally booked in an inside cabin, and got bumped up to the balcony room because his cabin had a water leak. So his complaint about not wanting to be "downgraded" was already rather bogus since he would have just gone back to the cabin class he originally had.

OH! That's right, I overlooked that. I'm gonna chalk this whole thing up to just not being able make some people happy. They NEED something to complain about.

"You know, you can't please all the people all the time... and last night, all those people were at my show." - Mitch Hedberg 1968-2005

On 6/12/2018 at 12:38 PM, monctonguy said:

Man Overboard perhaps????