Spectrum Booked!

Last night I got home late and saw @Matt's blog post about Spectrum of the Seas

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/06/11/royal-caribbean-reveals-first-look-spectrum-of-the-seas

YOLO!  Booked it!

Given that it is just released the website is acting strange.  I couldn't book a suite, it would return me to the main page as I stepped through the pages so I grabbed a studio balcony as plan B.   Steerage here I come.

The website would allow me to enter my C&A number for the balcony discount but when I tried to pay the deposit it reported my C&A number was invalid.  Given the website weirdness with Spectrum and the late hour I booked her without my C&A number.  A quick call to the C&A desk this morning solved that and they re-priced it with my C&A discount.  That saved me $56 for a 4 night studio balcony and $93 for a 9 night studio balcony on the B2B.

Booking are refundable so why not!  YOLO!

Looks like the current plan for her initial sailings is:

• April 18, 2019 - 16 Nights Barcelona to Dubai VIA the Suez Canal
  • May 4, 2019  - 14 Nights Dubai to Singapore
  • May 18, 2019 - 3 Nights Singapore to Malaysia
  • May 21, 2019 - 4 Nights Singapore to Malaysia
  • May 25, 2019 - 9 Nights to Vietnam, Hong Kong, Shanghai

By this point she has reached her home port of Shanghai where she begins regular service for several months.

I'm booked on the 4th and 5th sailings, May 21 and May 25. 

Deck plans are interesting.  While it is not immediately clear which areas are suite only, the forward areas of the higher decks are very different compare to other Quantum class ships.  Decks 14, 15 and 16.  The jogging track now wraps around NorthStar where on other Quantum ships the jogging tracks approaches the front of the ship around the indoor pool and the spa treatment rooms which now appear to be suite cabins.   

Several new areas on decks 14, 15 and 16 forward.  The big question is, which of these are suite only?

There appears to be at least two levels of suites.  Silver and Golden.  Each has their own dining areas.  Junior suites are available in both Silver and Golden. 

No Diamond or Concierge lounges that I can find on the deck plans.

539534410_spectrumupperdeckssuites.thumb.jpeg.46729ca6e7d51ad081706cba33e07279.jpeg

I knew you would!  I was looking through all this last night too wishing I could book it.  Those itineraries look amazing!  I am so jealous.  Looks like we will have to experience it vicariously through you as this ship is likely not a possibility for me period.

What I found really interesting was that all the aft cabins are JS and balconies.  And like you mentioned already, higher end suites are all up top on 15&16.  And there is zero info of what Silver/Golden entails. I didn't have time to do a count but it doesn't seem like there are as many GS and above cabins.  And in looking quickly last night, I couldn't even find GS on the deck plans.

I woke this morning to see Matt's post and we also booked it. However by the time we got to book it there were no Junior Suites available & all that was left in the Suite Class was Grand Suites and above.  A Grand Suite was coming in at €13,778.00 in total. We felt that was outside our budget so we booked a Ocean View Balcony

We booked April 18, 2019 - 16 Nights Barcelona to Dubai Via the Suez Canal

1 minute ago, accio7 said:

Oh wow, what an amazing adventure! Have you ever travelled to any of those port of calls before, twangster? 

And here I was thinking that you booked all 46 nights which would have been perfect for you! 

I've got some of them booked later in the year on other ships.  Hong Kong and Vietnam will be first time experiences.  I would have jumped on an earlier sailing but I'll be on the Oasis transatlantic then.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've got some of them booked later in the year on other ships.  Hong Kong and Vietnam will be first time experiences.  I would have jumped on an earlier sailing but I'll be on the Oasis transatlantic then.  

Have a blast, looking forward to following along with your live blog ? Thanks for the heads-up on Oasis, I wasn't aware that she is making a TA crossing next spring.

I have family in Japan (mother is Japanese), you just reminded me that I haven't returned there for a visit in almost 13 years. Family has been back plenty of times, most recently last month (Japan and destination wedding in Bali).

7 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

@twangster See those blue dots in the middle of some of the paths/lines. Hunch is everything on the other side will be suite only. From what I recall reading, yes that means the entire Solarium.

I saw those as well and that's what I am assuming. 

Silver Junior is three times the price of my current bookings.  I can't justify that when I'm solo.  If I didn't have all my other 2019 cruises I might.  Sticking with steerage.  Just call me Jack Dawson and maybe I'll get lucky.

Big congrats @twangster! Those are some nice itineraries to snag on that shiny new ship!

If I had to make a total SWAG, based on my horribly limited knowledge of Asian culture and the fact this ship is by all accounts going to serve only the Asian market, Silver Suites are going to be this ship's version of Sky Class, while Gold Suites will be the equivalent to Star Class. Reason I'm guessing this is the cultural significance of silver and gold (look how popular the gold iPhone was when it first was released in China), and that names like Sky and Star Class would not resonate on the same level there.

I guess part of what will make the "Plus Ultra" in Quantum Plus Ultra is these more exclusive suites. Seems like they're at least somewhat going into the "ship within a ship" concept, like The Haven on NCL and Yacht Club on MSC.

I recently read a thread here on the board about Quantum and the differences in culture there on cruises origin from China. Which crowed do you think Spectrum is catering towards? Will it be like Quantum or are they aiming on western crowed like Celebrity and Azamara? I would love to cruise in South East Asia but after reading the thread I'm worried...

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Big congrats @twangster! Those are some nice itineraries to snag on that shiny new ship!

If I had to make a total SWAG, based on my horribly limited knowledge of Asian culture and the fact this ship is by all accounts going to serve only the Asian market, Silver Suites are going to be this ship's version of Sky Class, while Gold Suites will be the equivalent to Star Class. Reason I'm guessing this is the cultural significance of silver and gold (look how popular the gold iPhone was when it first was released in China), and that names like Sky and Star Class would not resonate on the same level there.

I guess part of what will make the "Plus Ultra" in Quantum Plus Ultra is these more exclusive suites. Seems like they're at least somewhat going into the "ship within a ship" concept, like The Haven on NCL and Yacht Club on MSC.

Totally based on Asian culture I suspect.  Note that it's "Golden" not simply 'gold'.  A subtle difference but also cultural I suspect. 

46 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Interesting guess on the Silver/Gold. I was trying the make sense of that too and noticed that the normal Star class suites have a notation that SC amenities are not applicable to China and HK sailings.  Thought that was interesting and was trying to figure out how the Silver/Gold play into that. 

1 minute ago, Lud said:

I recently read a thread here on the board about Quantum and the differences in culture there on cruises origin from China. Which crowed do you think Spectrum is catering towards? Will it be like Quantum or are they aiming on western crowed like Celebrity and Azamara? I would love to cruise in South East Asia but after reading the thread I'm worried...

Just now, twangster said:

Totally based on Asian culture I suspect.  Note that it's "Golden" not simply 'gold'.  A subtle difference but also cultural I suspect. 

I suspect it is totally geared toward the Asian market.  More card rooms, a hot pot restaurant, the signage on the splashaway bay cafe...

9 minutes ago, Lud said:

I guess we'll have to wait to see how it plays out on board, but China is a developing cruise segment and given the population has the ability to become a significant cruise market.  I believe the intent is to create a ship designed for the Asian segment, not simply another western based ship visiting the area.  That I think is part of the marketing they intend to use in the region. "We built this ship for Asia and it's staying here, it belongs here".

My expectation is find it much more immersive compared to sailing a western ship that part-times in the region.   I'm hoping for that actually.

I have cruises booked on Voyager and Quantum later in 2019 so I'll see first hand eventually.

I noted no Diamond club on the deck plans.  I suspect Crown and Anchor doesn't have the same volume of Diamond and above members in the region so they've used that space for better purposes.  Pure speculation on my part. 

Just now, twangster said:

I guess we'll have to wait to see how it plays out on board, but China is a developing cruise segment and given the population has the ability to become a significant cruise market.  I believe the intent is to create a ship designed for the Asian segment, not simply another western based ship visiting the area.  That I think is part of the marketing they intend to use in the region. 

My expectation is find it much more immersive compared to sailing a western ship that part-times in the region. 

I guess you are absolutely right. China is the big aim for RCI, but in a way I feel a bit sad that she is going straight there and "disappears" like Quantum did.

Just now, Lud said:

I guess you are absolutely right. China is the big aim for RCI, but in a way I feel a bit sad that she is going straight there and "disappears" like Quantum did.

They could have created a new Cruise Line, marketed it under that brand and the same would be true - the ship would be locked into that region. 

There is a lot of effort moving a ship into or out of the Asia region.  Gambling is very big and more space is dedicated to that.  Signage, restaurants, etc.  If the booking support it, I wouldn't move ships into and out of the region either, it costs too much and to what end? 

There is another Quantum Ultra coming and Oasis #5 plus a whole new class of ship over the coming years.  Plenty of new ships for other regions but this move is designed to generate revenue and I suspect it will. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

They could have created a new Cruise Line, marketed it under that brand and the same would be true - the ship would be locked into that region. 

There is a lot of effort moving a ship into or out of the Asia region.  Gambling is very big and more space is dedicated to that.  Signage, restaurants, etc.  If the booking support it, I wouldn't move ships into and out of the region either, it costs too much and to what end? 

There is another Quantum Ultra coming and Oasis #5 plus a whole new class of ship over the coming years.  Plenty of new ships for other regions but this move is designed to generate revenue and I suspect it will. 

I think you are a 100 % right. It is a strategic move from RCI to generate revenue. It's just the cruise nerd in me that would like to visit the ship someday, maybe I've to do like you do and just book it! :12_slight_smile:

50 minutes ago, Lud said:

I have heard, recently, that the market in China had not been performing to the level that they had hoped.  I imagine, however, that this new ship for China had been LONG on the drawing board and that, at this point, there was no reversing it.  I guess we'll see if more ships are designated specifically for China, as we move forward.

Hi all, 

Could not help but be excited by Spectrum, having done a TA on Anthem just after she was launched. 

We were booked on Oasis in August 2019 in the med but the wedding that we were attending on board has been...... Cancelled !!! ?

Therefore took the opportunity to switch to a non school holiday 9 days on Spectrum from 25th May 19, Singapore - Shanghai and was able to change from central park balcony to exterior balcony and save a few £.

Again could not quite justify the current pricing for Silver/Gold Suites, but we will see how they sell. 

So looking forward to keeping up to date with announcements and hopefully enjoying this stunning ship.

Thanks for all the information so far, YOLO booked it :-)