Walking around Old San Juan

Lovetocruise2002

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, J. Woody said:

I’ll be in San Juan for a day in Aug. Never been there before.  I booked “ Old & New San Juan” tour through Cruise Planner .  Only $25.00 for 2 1/2 hr. Any one tried this tour before ??

Big point will be a Air Condition bus !! 

We were so close to booking this type of tour.  In the end we did not because we felt that San Juan was best explore while walking.  @twangster...did you take this tour? 

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We were so close to booking this type of tour.  In the end we did not because we felt that San Juan was best explore while walking.  @twangster...did you take this tour? 

I did.  The details were buried in this live blog:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5195-independence-122117-9-night-christmas/&do=findComment&comment=51953

For the price it was a decent way to try something different.  On the bus ride the driver narrated and provided many tidbits of information.  That is why I will endure bus tours - because you can learn so much that can be used on future visits.  Tip - avoid the seats over the wheels.  The wheel wells curve up and into the rows of seats above the wheels making for zero leg room.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I did.  The details were buried in this live blog:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5195-independence-122117-9-night-christmas/&do=findComment&comment=51953

For the price it was a decent way to try something different.  On the bus ride the driver narrated and provided many tidbits of information.  That is why I will endure bus tours - because you can learn so much that can be used on future visits.  Tip - avoid the seats over the wheels.  The wheel wells curve up and into the rows of seats above the wheels making for zero leg room.

I read your blog. What a beautiful pictures !! Thank you for your post , twangster !!  Also thank you let me know Lovetocruise2002 !!

So you skip that tour half way of that ? Go back to the ship port is that easy ??

10 minutes ago, J. Woody said:

I read your blog. What a beautiful pictures !! Thank you for your post , twangster !!  Also thank you let me know Lovetocruise2002 !!

So you skip that tour half way of that ? Go back to the ship port is that easy ??

I like to walk.  Old San Juan isn't that big if you don't have any mobility challenges.  It's one of my favorite ports. 

I let my driver know so he could adjust head count and not waste time waiting for me but once the new San Juan portion was complete and we were back in Old San Juan I like to self explore a bit. 

If it's super hot outside or it's approaching back on board time staying with the bus might be smarter.

One possible caveat about taking a bus tour is that it will avoid the narrower roads, which in OSJ seem to the ones that are the most colorfully painted and decorated, and to me at least the most interesting to see. One of those narrower roads on the way to El Morro is where I got these two pics, and our guides told us it’s a pretty popular spot for tourists to check out:

IMG_8467.thumb.jpg.38c0022fd82e3efa256e41aa201dfb40.jpgIMG_8469.thumb.jpg.f607d7be5296dfcaf4ad76f33895f581.jpg

That street was barely wide enough for one car at a time to slowly go by, never mind a bus!