What ships to try after Symphony?

Joe01

On July 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM, JLMoran said:

Might be time to explore doing a solo cruise and trying a new kind of adventure! ?

I wish! You would see me on a June 2019 Independence sailing if that were the case. As it stands, I can't do that in 2019 for a number of different reasons. 2020 possibly.

Should I just give cruising a miss for next year? I really want to do one as I am celebrating something in 2019, but no Royal cruise seems to fit. The ship that I want to do is the exact ship that they won't do. Other cruise lines and land vacations just can't compare.

28 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Should I just give cruising a miss for next year? I really want to do one as I am celebrating something in 2019, but no Royal cruise seems to fit. The ship that I want to do is the exact ship that they won't do. Other cruise lines and land vacations just can't compare.

Don't ever spend money on something that isn't right for you.  Wait until it will meet your desires.

2 minutes ago, henrysea13 said:

may I suggest that you try freedoms panoramic view rooms I was on it recently and she did not seem tired the pano rooms were added not to long ago they were fascinating and also you might try majesty  on a cuba itinerary 

How was the panoramic cabin? I am booked on Navigator and Marnier panoramic suites.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Joe01 said:

What should I do for next year if there is no viable Royal cruise? Don't like the idea of a 2 week land vacation. I guess that Harmony and Symphony have spoiled me and no other ship can compare.

The Norwegian Bliss is the only ship from another cruise line that even comes close to comparing with the Oasis class in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

How was the panoramic cabin? I am booked on Navigator and Marnier panoramic suites.

absolutely amazing so open the views are breathtaking the only down side still only 2 electrical outlets when I cruise I like to sit in the Viking crown lounge and watch the scenery these pics were taken from the room its like having a large balcony without the heat and humidity I have a pano booked on adventure in November 2018 I personally will book only these rooms whenever possible before Royal jacks up the fare on them

IMG_1745_(1).JPG

IMG_1727 (1).JPG

IMG_1767_(1).JPG

1 minute ago, henrysea13 said:

absolutely amazing so open the views are breathtaking the only down side still only 2 electrical outlets when I cruise I like to sit in the Viking crown lounge and watch the scenery these pics were taken from the room its like having a large balcony without the heat and humidity I have a pano booked on adventure in November 2018 I personally will book only these rooms whenever possible before Royal jacks up the fare on them

IMG_1745_(1).JPG

IMG_1727 (1).JPG

IMG_1767_(1).JPG

Breathtaking. I can't wait.

Debarking Symphony tomorrow :38_worried:. Immediately going to start planning for next year once home. The classes that I would consider are Oasis, Freedom or Voyager. Not Quantum or a small one. I wish that they went on better itineraries. Why on earth did they have to move Ovation to Alaska? If EX stayed, that would have been ideal.

15 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Why on earth did they have to move Ovation to Alaska? If EX stayed, that would have been ideal.

Likely because NCL debuted the Bliss in Alaska this year.  They can't let NCL grow to 'own' Alaska cruising or promote it as "the only cruise line with a modern ship in Alaska". 

57 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Why on earth did they have to move Ovation to Alaska? If EX stayed, that would have been ideal.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Likely because NCL debuted the Bliss in Alaska this year.  They can't let NCL grow to 'own' Alaska cruising or promote it as "the only cruise line with a modern ship in Alaska". 

And on top of that, Quantum Class ships were designed up front for cold weather and can offer far more on-board amenities regardless of the outside temperature. That enclosed Solarium will be killer on the sea days, with the panoramic views for everyone as they relax in the half-submerged loungers and the hot tubs. Never mind features like the Sea Plex.

I find Bliss intriguing (see my thread about NCL vs. Royal), but I don't see how even that ship could make the go karts appealing on a day that's in the 40s and raining nonstop.

42 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

And on top of that, Quantum Class ships were designed up front for cold weather and can offer far more on-board amenities regardless of the outside temperature. That enclosed Solarium will be killer on the sea days, with the panoramic views for everyone as they relax in the half-submerged loungers and the hot tubs. Never mind features like the Sea Plex.

Quantum Class doesn't offer as much activities as you think. SeaPlex is a multi-use venue and only one thing can go on at once. Not like Oasis Class where there is a lot of options at one time. The reservations are a pain as well. They seriously need to work on the Quantum Class product for me to go on another one.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I find Bliss intriguing (see my thread about NCL vs. Royal), but I don't see how even that ship could make the go karts appealing on a day that's in the 40s and raining nonstop.

With Spectrum entering the China market in the spring that freed up Ovation to leave the region as well, at least for the Alaska season.  If Spectrum wasn't available they likely would have repeated something similar to the 2018 Alaska season in 2019. 

Looks like Explorer is moving to Miami after it's summer in Southampton. 

Ovation brings another twist to Alaska. 

Since Ovation has so many balconies it bucks the trend in Alaska where you usually see distinct price jumps interior -> ocean view -> balcony.  Historically balconies have been two to three times interior, now they are separated by a few hundred.  On one Ovation sailing my C&A balcony discount made a balcony cheaper than ocean view to Alaska and that has never happened in the past.

When I shopped rates for the Explorer Alaska Group Cruise my C&A discount hardly had any impact.  Now on Ovation to Alaska the gap is small enough I'd pay the delta to have a balcony:

1719171087_ovtoaslaksacabincomaprison.jpeg.c72d73e5f2c0a27e0d1eda41a1060bda.jpeg

Looking back at my MEI quotes for a balcony on Explorer it was $4,300 for two, non-refundable.  Interior was roughly half that.  So from I'm seeing on Ovation to Alaska, the cheap interior rates are absent but balconies are more affordable. 

Suites are looking cheaper as well.  I've booked a JS for three on Ovation for what a JS for two was priced on Explorer.  All adults >21, no Kids Sail Free.

Radiance for the same week as Ovation next year above displays the traditional Alaska price trends I'm used to seeing.  Cheaper interior rates but more expensive balcony rates.

1692399049_RadianceAlaskaCabinComparison.jpeg.2c7b5d25aef0e8409ee082bf7074a59a.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Quantum Class doesn't offer as much activities as you think. SeaPlex is a multi-use venue and only one thing can go on at once. Not like Oasis Class where there is a lot of options at one time. The reservations are a pain as well. They seriously need to work on the Quantum Class product for me to go on another one.

I think that falls into the personal preferences category.  I think it offers more for kids and teens which helps to displace them and keep them out of adult areas.  The SeaPlex being multi-use works well towards this end.  All day bumper cars every day would get old and a waste of space after a few days although lines wouldn't be as long.  I rarely saw the SeaPlex empty so it's serving it purpose in terms of real estate consumed on a ship.  With 3 Quantum class sailings under my belt I've never had an issue securing reservations.  They do need to get rid of the kiosks in the middle of the Esplanade to reduce choke points.  They really hamper traffic flow in this area.  I love the sea views in Two70°.  For people who aren't sun worshipers it's a nice venue to use on sea days.

As much as I love Oasis class (which got me hooked on Royal), access to see the ocean is an issue.  They are great ships but you do become disconnected from the sea. No indoor bar or lounge where you can sit and see the ocean while having an afternoon drink.  Two70° is great for that purpose.

In the end it becomes what works best for each individual and I think that Royal having Quantum class in the portfolio is great for that exact reason.  No one ship design is best for all cruisers. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Voyager Class is a great choice.  Mariner and Adventure just got refurbished and Navigator is a favorite of mine (with another refurb for her next year).

I would love to give Navigator or Mariner a try but coming from the UK means that the 3/4 nighters don't really work. 

• 1 month later...

OK, this is a couple of months old but I was having this conversation with one of my group today and due to the potential change in pound/US dollar rate, we need book something relatively soon.

This makes me beyond frustrated. Not a single ship/itinerary in the fleet that will keep everyone happy and feel as if I am going around in circles. I have little interest in doing Liberty from Texas which seems to be their suggestion.

i dont think any of the opinions or suggestions posted originally will have changed since you last posted,  most of which  where for various reasons dismissed straight away.

Dont think it matters whats suggested there will be an issue somewhere, so maybe best getting your group together one night and just sorting it out 

1 hour ago, Ray said:

so maybe best getting your group together one night and just sorting it out 

That's what we did yesterday. Resulted in no decision being made. If only another new ship was coming out next year.

As it stands, I am not joining the Class of 2019 in their holiday next year (Magaluf :2_grimacing:) so I would rather have a great cruise to celebrate my graduation.

3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Well, just searched cruise prices and Liberty seems to be quite cheap. Maybe I'll go on there after all. Could get 2 weeks for significantly cheaper than Symphony this year.

Liberty off peak has great deals.  I think I paid $359 pp earlier this year.  However it is never fair to compare the newest ship where rates will always be highest in the fleet to an older ship from the previous class.  Virtually all ships are cheaper than Symphony right now.

What you have noticed for Liberty fares is the only factor in making me wonder if they truly will bring OA class to Galveston as speculated.  If they can't fill Liberty off-peak without lowering fares, how will they fill Oasis?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Liberty off peak has great deals.  I think I paid $359 pp earlier this year.  However it is never fair to compare the newest ship where rates will always be highest in the fleet to an older ship from the previous class.  Virtually all ships are cheaper than Symphony right now.

What you have noticed for Liberty fares is the only factor in making me wonder if they truly will bring OA class to Galveston as speculated.  If they can't fill Liberty off-peak without lowering fares, how will they fill Oasis?

I've never bought into the 'Oasis coming to Galveston' speculation. I completely agree with you that filling an Oasis Class would be near impossible if Liberty is showing major discounts. And this sailing is hardly off peak, it's the June 30th sailing.