Watching movies onboard

Hi! I’m new to the boards and fairly new to RCCL. I took my first RCCL cruise last May on Oasis. I really enjoyed it too!! Having been on oodles of DCL cruises, I did find a few differences that I didn’t think would bother me, but I think I could reconcile for the future. I’m sailing on Anthem for the Canada/ New England cruise on Aug 23. On my last cruise, I found that some nights I wanted to just chill and watch a movie. Unlike DCL where there is a theatre, I found movies on Oasis were shown outside at the Aqua Theatre. I found that very uncomfortable and extremely hard to hear. (Geez, I’m getting old. Lol). Am I missing other options? If not, do any of you bring movies to watch or just stream off Netflix? 

There are a few ships that have a dedicated theater (I don't remember which class) but others show them in the main theater.  But most show them outside on the pool deck in the evening.  I do agree, the aqua theater really isn't comfortable enough for 2 plus hour movie.

I've been on three of the four Reassurance class ships and they all had dedicated theaters and I haven't seen anything about them being removed. On a couple of occasions, movies have been shown in the main theater either midday on a see day or at night when the theater didn't have a performance. 

1 hour ago, mojodisney said:

Am I missing other options? If not, do any of you bring movies to watch or just stream off Netflix? 

Hi Mojo! On Anthem, they will show some movies in the Royal Theater.  I recall seeing Penguins of Madagascar there on Quantum of the Seas.

On a recent Anthem Cruise Compass, I found movies being shown in the Royal Theater and by the pool: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/anthem-of-the-seas/sat-2018-03-31-0000 

51 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The Radiance class ships still have a small theater, I believe.  I don't know if they are systematically removing these or not.  I hope they don't.  I always enjoyed going there to see a movie. 

Yes, I've seen a couple movies there.  Nice theater but small.

48 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The Radiance class ships still have a small theater, I believe.  I don't know if they are systematically removing these or not.  I hope they don't.  I always enjoyed going there to see a movie. 

I enjoy the theater very much I remember when they were on freedom class down in the conference area the brilliance has one and I will be using it pool side movies are ok but the little 29 seats theaters are the best

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hi Mojo! On Anthem, they will show some movies in the Royal Theater.  I recall seeing Penguins of Madagascar there on Quantum of the Seas.

On a recent Anthem Cruise Compass, I found movies being shown in the Royal Theater and by the pool: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/anthem-of-the-seas/sat-2018-03-31-0000 

Awesome! Thank you for all your responses! I’ll have to check the Royal Theater out. I’m learning...very slowly. ?

To my knowledge, Brilliance still has a theatre ..... as for other locations... we watched a couple of movies on the pool deck on Grandeur .... incredibly relaxing and there were no issues with being able to hear everything..... heck, there were several that were watching it from the hot tubs..... how's that for being spoiled?

I was on Hamrony last month and they showed movies in an indoor theater (I remember "Star Wars Last Jedi") as well as  outdoor/Aqua theater (BlackPanther was one being shown.) The times never seemed to work for us (although my 11 yr.old caught Star Wars.) Voom's connection was not reliable for us. We often had interruptions, loss of service, and buffering. Still glad I got it and we made it through Season 1 of a show but we're used to bad, rural internet. I'm sure those used to good internet would have given up!

On 6/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, mojodisney said:

Hi! I’m new to the boards and fairly new to RCCL. I took my first RCCL cruise last May on Oasis. I really enjoyed it too!! Having been on oodles of DCL cruises, I did find a few differences that I didn’t think would bother me, but I think I could reconcile for the future. I’m sailing on Anthem for the Canada/ New England cruise on Aug 23. On my last cruise, I found that some nights I wanted to just chill and watch a movie. Unlike DCL where there is a theatre, I found movies on Oasis were shown outside at the Aqua Theatre. I found that very uncomfortable and extremely hard to hear. (Geez, I’m getting old. Lol). Am I missing other options? If not, do any of you bring movies to watch or just stream off Netflix? 

Check past cruise compass for your upcoming cruise on Anthem.  They show movies in the Royal Theater during the daytime.  They played Dr Strange in 3D on Oasis April 2017.  

I always download a few movies/shows on Netflix from home on my mobile device in the event of flight/travel delays.  

2 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

There is nothing greater than sitting outdoors watching a flick and having the sea breeze.  Get a couple of towels for padding and your good to go.  Some pizza and cocktails.  And the rest is history.  Enjoyed Oasis outdoor movies and looking forward to sailing on her again.  

I'll second that!  Love outdoors movies at the Aqua theater!

On 6/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, fonemanbob said:

There is nothing greater than sitting outdoors watching a flick and having the sea breeze.  Get a couple of towels for padding and your good to go.  Some pizza and cocktails.  And the rest is history.  Enjoyed Oasis outdoor movies and looking forward to sailing on her again.  

I did try on my former cruise. I watched Moana at the Aqua Theatre about 3pm one day and OY was it hot. Then watched Fantastic Beasts late one evening and about froze. Haha. I sound pathetic?.

I’m gonna try again in August to prove I’m not as old as I’m acting. 

This is the only thing I have found where Carnival does a better job. They have a huge screen by the pool to show movies. 

They also have rocking chairs, popcorn, and they aren't blocking the movie screen with the water slides and kids play area like on Adventure of The Seas.  The one and only time we cruised on Carnival, we watch the movie by the pool every night. They also have movie blankets you can borrow for chilly nights.

On Adventure, the only seats that provided a good view of the screen were the "Suite Guest" pool chairs that are elevated, but those are roped off and  us mere mortals aren't allowed to mingle up there. ?

On 6/15/2018 at 9:39 AM, mojodisney said:

I did try on my former cruise. I watched Moana at the Aqua Theatre about 3pm one day and OY was it hot. Then watched Fantastic Beasts late one evening and about froze. Haha. I sound pathetic?.

I’m gonna try again in August to prove I’m not as old as I’m acting. 

I have been known to bring my big white bathrobe to cover up with when I watched the movie...

On 6/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, mojodisney said:

On the Independence it was movies by the pool,each evening, apart from the one night when they had a Dancing Under The Stars night, then they had the movie in the theatre. 

16 hours ago, Suzanne said:

On Adventure, the only seats that provided a good view of the screen were the "Suite Guest" pool chairs that are elevated, but those are roped off and  us mere mortals aren't allowed to mingle up there. ?

I had a similar experience on Freedom. We tried to watch The Greatest Showman (D17 absolutely loves that movie and its soundtrack), and by the time we got there a little after it started, the only available seats were ones where the view was partially to severely blocked by the massive pillars that rise up from the pool deck and just serve as decoration.  Had we arrived earlier we could have gotten a better view, but we had to settle for either a blocked view or standing next to the stairs on the upper sun deck to have anything resembling a clear view of the screen.