Coffee Cards- wait till ship?

Hi @Riannan, welcome to the forums!

The included coffee is definitely not dark roast or strong. It’s at best “meh”, and very bitter within minutes of being poured and starting to cool. It can be OK if you drink it fast as soon as it’s poured, but if you want something to carry around the ship and sip for an hour or two, then I would strongly recommend the coffee card.

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

To me the included coffee quality is debatable. I HATED it on Adventure but it was good on Harmony and Anthem. I had already had a drink package and happen to enjoy my specialty coffees on the ship so I didn't drink a lot of it but had it almost every night in the MDR.

Maybe it's not the coffee, but the coffee "maker." Coffee starts to break down after about an hour, so if it's made and just sits around, that's no good. I don't know how my folks drank their coffee all those years, brewing a big pot in the Pyrex brewer, on the stove top and preceded to reheat it for a couple of days until it was gone! ?

Maybe that's all they knew?

25 minutes ago, FManke said:

Maybe it's not the coffee, but the coffee "maker." Coffee starts to break down after about an hour, so if it's made and just sits around, that's no good. I don't know how my folks drank their coffee all those years, brewing a big pot in the Pyrex brewer, on the stove top and preceded to reheat it for a couple of days until it was gone! ?

Maybe that's all they knew?

At home, we have a Cuisinart coffee maker that grinds the beans just before brewing. There is no warming element, only a water heater. This helps with keeping the coffee from going bitter. We also use espresso beans. If we have left over coffee, I put it in the refrigerator for later and have an iced coffee or two. My frugality and coffee addiction both satisfied! 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, Dolores said:

I've been researching the coffee card for our upcoming trip on Freedom of the Seas ... the tiny print (i.e. Additional Conditions apply) on the Cruise Planner says the card CANNOT be used at Starbucks (darn - I'm a Starbucks junkie).  So exactly where IS the card used?  Are the specialty coffees offered on board better than Starbucks?

Oasis class ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not been on any) have free standing Starbucks, and none of the beverage packages (DBP/Refreshment package) will work there.  From the terms & conditions: Specialty Coffees do not include any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores/cafes

The other ships have "for sale" Cafes that have specialty coffee drinks that use Starbucks brand coffee -- and the packages are good there. If the coffee card is like the other packages, then it will be good on ships that DO NOT have a freestanding Starbucks.  I believe, if there is an actual Starbucks on the ship, you can use Starbucks gift cards, but again, I'm not positive about that

22 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Oasis class ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not been on any) have free standing Starbucks, and none of the beverage packages (DBP/Refreshment package) will work there.  From the terms & conditions: Specialty Coffees do not include any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores/cafes

The other ships have "for sale" Cafes that have specialty coffee drinks that use Starbucks brand coffee -- and the packages are good there. If the coffee card is like the other packages, then it will be good on ships that DO NOT have a freestanding Starbucks.  I believe, if there is an actual Starbucks on the ship, you can use Starbucks gift cards, but again, I'm not positive about that

Correct

• 2 years later...

i think if you are a coffee lover like me the complimentary coffee will not be what you are looking for. Its ok but not great. i usually get an americano from cafe promenade. If you are not buying the deluxe beverage package i would recommend buying the refreshment package so you get all the great coffee you want.