Free or cheap Bahamas shore activities

Megan_Rae

Hi Megan_Rae, Bahamas is really, really expensive; especially food. You can walk to Junkaroo Beach, it's a free public beach about a 15 - 20 minute walk from the port.  It gets really crowded later in the day so if you can get off the ship early and get there early, you'll be okay. You can rent chairs and umbrellas, or obviously skip that and bring towels from the ship.  If you are really on a budget, I'd suggest bringing some Ziploc baggies and saving some emptied water bottles (or get each kiddo one from the dollar store) and pack yourself some lunch and snacks because like I said food is really expensive; for a family of four you could easily spend $100 on burgers, fries, and sodas for lunch. When my kids were younger, I would bring new blow up floaty toys (like rafts, rings, or balls) and stuff like that from the dollar store, then just leave them at the beach with the porters.  As long as you plan, you can pull off a free (or relatively free) beach day in the Bahamas.  Just google Junkaroo Beach.

As far as Cococay, it's another beach day, so again, plan on bringing sand toys, floaty things for your kids, etc, and you'll be good to go.  Chairs, umbrellas, food, and drinks are free there, and there is lots to just walk around and look at! 

Hope you have fun!

Our group of 9 including 5 kids walked from the port to Junkaroo Beach at the end of April. Not the best beach we've seen but free, convenient and the kids were kept happy. An umbrella and 2 chairs was $30. We didn't find alcohol to be terribly expensive if you don't mind local beer. We didn't buy food but brought some muffins from the ship and headed back after about 3 hours.

Junkanoo Beach is free so that's as cheap as it gets! There used to be some good deals on drinks(not that you would care about that with kids) but now the drinks and umbrella's all seem to be more expensive since they updated the bar area there. But I am sure you could still haggle on the chairs and umbrellas at least.

There are still cheap options there for eating if you don't mind getting Burger King or McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts.....but at anything local or chain name like Senor Frogs etc...

And your close enough to easily get back on the ship for lunch and even get back off again in the afternoon if you wanted to..

Coco Cay is pretty much all free for now.....soon though that is changing and it wont be a budget stop for a family if the kids want to take advantage and enjoy the pool and slides etc...