New Cruise Planner Sale

Just got an email that a new cruise planner sale for 30% off on-board prices has started. I'm seeing the following for my Anthem cruise in October:

• $42/night for the deluxe package (same as when I bought it last month)
  • $18/night for refreshment package (ditto)
  • $14.99/night for VOOM 1-device
  • $28.48/night for VOOM 2-devices (last I saw was $30.38 pre-sale)

Might grab the VOOM while it's on sale and I have the chance, since my new billing cycle starts on Sunday. On the other hand, I may wait. I'm sure there will be at least a July 4 and Labor Day sale between now and sail-away. VOOM is less critical to me this trip since it's so short; if needs be, will post-cruise blog instead of live blogging, and I didn't have any real intention of Periscoping this time around.

from what i read, looks like it only applies to cruises departing now through mid December.    Figured this out after failing to read @Mattwhole post and was getting red faced on RC's website because i couldnt find it for my April sailing lol

31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Just got an email that a new cruise planner sale for 30% off on-board prices has started. I'm seeing the following for my Anthem cruise in October:

Might grab the VOOM while it's on sale and I have the chance, since my new billing cycle starts on Sunday. On the other hand, I may wait. I'm sure there will be at least a July 4 and Labor Day sale between now and sail-away. VOOM is less critical to me this trip since it's so short; if needs be, will post-cruise blog instead of live blogging, and I didn't have any real intention of Periscoping this time around.

See if you can get an even better deal getting a Voom - Drink Combo Package ..... They don't advertise them too often, but trust me, this bundled package does exist.

1 minute ago, coneyraven said:

See if you can get an even better deal getting a Voom - Drink Combo Package ..... They don't advertise them too often, but trust me, this bundled package does exist.

It’s been offered on my Cruise Planner almost from day one, and so far it’s no bargain. Current price is $56, which with the current $42 price for deluxe means I’m paying $14 per night for 1 device. That’s not even a dollar less per night than getting them separately.

If I see ever that combo offered for a real sale price that discounts both by a good margin over the separate purchases, then I’ll grab it for sure.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Allure June 17 sailing:

• $47/night for the deluxe package (it was $50 last month)
  • $18/night for refreshment package (did not book before)
  • $37.77/night for VOOM 3-device (booked at $264.39/7 = $37.77/night -- no change)

17 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Good suggestion. I look for this every sailing. Even though it was "on sale" for Alaska GC it was less expensive to book each individually.

Just now, Wilson said:

Good suggestion. I look for this every sailing. Even though it was "on sale" for Alaska GC it was less expensive to book each individually.

Exactly.  It wasn’t being promoted, but we were able to snag it for our October cruise on Grandeur.  It never hurts to ask.  

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I am hoping there is some kinda sale like this in Sept for my Oct cruise...maybe a labor day sale?.....want to buy the drink package and maybe something else...fingers crossed they have a good one like this then!

You can almost bet on a Labor Day Weekend sale

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can almost bet on a Labor Day Weekend sale

Just be aware that not all sales apply to all cruises.  I'd avoid waiting and hoping for a big future sale event just in case it doesn't apply to your cruise.

Buy it now, you can always get a full refund and repurchase if a better sale comes along.  If a BBD doesn't happen (Bigger Better Deal) then you have at least acquired it cheaper than on board. 

Same with excursions.  They can sell out or the best times go first.  If you hold off waiting, you may lose out.  Canceling and repurchasing an excursion doesn't always give you the same time slot so be prepared to be flexible to save money if an excursion drops in price. 

Just now, twangster said:

Just be aware that not all sales apply to all cruises.  I'd avoid waiting and hoping for a big future sale event just in case it doesn't apply to your cruise.

Buy it now, you can always get a full refund and repurchase if a better sale comes along.  If a BBD doesn't happen (Bigger Better Deal) then you have at least acquired it cheaper than on board. 

Same with excursions.  They can sell out or the best times go first.  If you hold off waiting, you may lose out.  Canceling and repurchasing an excursion doesn't always give you the same time slot so be prepared to be flexible to save money if an excursion drops in price. 

This is always my thinking as well.  Especially with the excursions.  In addition, with the other packages, sometimes you hold out to wait for a better price and the price actually goes up.  For example, when I cruised on Harmony last August, I grabbed a Black Friday VOOM sale at $7.99/day!  Unheard of.  Have not seen it like that since that time.  With subsequent sales, it was always more, even though it was on sale.  I've noticed this has happened with the drink packages too.  @monctonguy, with the last sale, was everything still regular price for your October cruise?  I tried to post those screen shots from my cruise planner because I knew that you and a few others had sailings in the coming months.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Fabian said:

Good afternoon next October I will travel in the enchantment of the sea and I would like to ask if there is any way to eliminate the tips and not pay them, and give only to whom I consider. Thank you

Oh this is always a fun question , lots of emotional responses to come im sure.

The answer is yes, if you go to guest services and tell them you do not want to pay the daily charge they will stop it and refund any that have been charged. (This is assuming you did not prepay the gratuities in full ahead of time, I don't know the answer if you did that).

You can then tip who you want, how you want.

Of course I want to give tips but to my liking, not those imposed by the shipping company, and I will give them to the people who deserve it. Thank you very much for your reply. And just going to the counter and saying that annul the tips will nullify them?
10 minutes ago, Matt said:

To be clear, you are obliged to still tip.  You can take away the automatic gratuities for a variety of reasons (prefer to pay cash, pay different amount ,etc) but you are still obliged to tip under the current system. 

41 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

They actually cannot deny you from disembarking as the manifest must be cleared in order to proceed on following cruise. If you do not charge anything to your room, you will not have an account. As I said previously, I know someone who does this and has no issues whatsoever.

Odd, I see people stopped from leaving often.  They have to go inside and deal with it.  

I suppose a lawyer would argue you can't illegally detain someone for ever, but if you stiff them I'd imagine they could engage the local police much like a store would for a shoplifter,  but I'm not a lawyer. 

23 minutes ago, Fabian said:

Of course I want to give tips but to my liking, not those imposed by the shipping company, and I will give them to the people who deserve it. Thank you very much for your reply. And just going to the counter and saying that annul the tips will nullify them?

Just so you know.  Supposedly, if you remove gratuities and then tip on your own, the staff is required to turn those tips in to the "pool".  While you may think you are doing certain staff a favor, you really are not.  Staff may keep any additional tip on top of the daily gratuities.

If you really want to help the staff that deserve it, get their name and use their name on the post cruise survey or any compliment card you find.  This helps their long term career and they really appreciate it.

29 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Just so you know.  Supposedly, if you remove gratuities and then tip on your own, the staff is required to turn those tips in to the "pool".  While you may think you are doing certain staff a favor, you really are not. 

How is that different from paying the daily grats...those don't go into a "pool"?..sure they do.....that's the whole point......so its 6 of one, half dozen of another really.

We all have our opinions about this..but at the end of the day...whether your account is charged...or you drop tips along the way...it all goes to the same place at the end of the day right?!

12 hours ago, monctonguy said:

How is that different from paying the daily grats...those don't go into a "pool"?..sure they do.....that's the whole point......so its 6 of one, half dozen of another really.

We all have our opinions about this..but at the end of the day...whether your account is charged...or you drop tips along the way...it all goes to the same place at the end of the day right?!

The problem with doing the tips on your own is that there are lots of behind the scenes people you don’t see everyday that will not get their share. People like bus boys at the windjammer, people who clean and empty the garbage, etc. Yes people usually remember their stateroom attendant and the waiter but what about every else?

I wish the cruise lines would just pay them a decent wage without the tips so we wouldn’t have these tips discussions all the time but the system is the way it is. When you take the auto gratuities off you end up screwing people unfortunately.

yup..i agree.....the cost that they show and what it actually costs is not even close.....a $299 cruise ends up costing  over $500 with grats and port fees/taxes before you ever set foot on the ship.

But its such a grey area really...forcing people to pay tips...isn't really tipping..its more like a tax or a service fee really....but that's a whole nother discussion.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:24 AM, princevaliantus said:

Or just don't give them a credit card. You actually do not need to establish an onboard account. The ship can't send you a bill. I known someone who does this and gives the tips to whomever they feel deserves it.

You are obligated to establish an onboard account either when you complete online check in or fill out the check in papers at the port. Without an onboard account you can’t buy anything on the ship and you can not pay for excursions that you book onboard. Sure you don’t need to put a credit card on file and you could pay with cash on the morning of disembarking and can tip whatever amount that you want but then toward the end of your cruise you have to go to guest services and ask them to remove the automatic daily gratuity charge from your account. 

4 hours ago, Jess said:

You are obligated to establish an onboard account either when you complete online check in or fill out the check in papers at the port. Without an onboard account you can’t buy anything on the ship and you can not pay for excursions that you book onboard. Sure you don’t need to put a credit card on file and you could pay with cash on the morning of disembarking and can tip whatever amount that you want but then toward the end of your cruise you have to go to guest services and ask them to remove the automatic daily gratuity charge from your account. 

You are not obligated to establish an account as I know someone who never has an onboard account. It has to be written in the passenger contract which it is not. Hence, a contract becomes binding. If it's not in the contact, there is no obligation. Business Law 101. Great elderly couple I met onboard with cruise adventures they shared and they never had an onboard account, paid their own excursions and grats are given as they please, if applicable. They never had an issue with any cruise line. 

Whoohoo! Just got another $150 off of my 2019 cruise because of this promotion! Still have my $100 obc!

This is my second time calling in during a promotion to apply the offers and so far I have saved $405 since booking! I owe it all to Matt for his podcast and telling me just to put down the deposit and continue to check the sales!