Perfect Day at Coco Cay = Nickle & Dime??

I just got an email today - "We are excited to share that our private destination, Coco Cay Bahamas, has been newly established as Perfect Day at CocoCay.  

The email then went on to say "You will be able to book your PerfectDay experiences on our Cruise Planner very soon."  To me, this says "sign up for $$$$$$".  

There will be a water slide, a wave pool, a balloon ride, etc.  My question is, are we going to be literally charged for EACH of those newly constructed "experiences" on the island separately??  This could end up being an expensive little stop for some people!!

15 minutes ago, NeonD7 said:

This could end up being an expensive little stop for some people!!

This is my thought exactly!  Which is why I was never overly excited about the Coco Cay news in the first place.  And going by how pricey some activities (aqua park, slides, coaster on labadee, etc.) I don't imagine these new things will be "cheap".  Add in a couple of kids and it will be very pricey!

looks to me as though the FULL Day pass covers everything except the balloon ride as best as i can tell.   i'm figuring possibly not the zip line either.    That being said, i found it funny that a half day pass was $39.00 and the full was $44 a mere $5 bucks more.   Seems to me as though it's almost forcing everyone to buy the day pass 

9 minutes ago, Todd W said:

looks to me as though the FULL Day pass covers everything except the balloon ride as best as i can tell.   i'm figuring possibly not the zip line either.    That being said, i found it funny that a half day pass was $39.00 and the full was $44 a mere $5 bucks more.   Seems to me as though it's almost forcing everyone to buy the day pass 

So for your typical family of 4, it will be $156 for a half day and $176 for a full!  If you're @melski94, then it's even more!

We'll be staying on the ship to enjoy the "free" pool. lol 

14 minutes ago, Todd W said:

I've seen this trend on other similar excursions like the dragon coaster at Labadee. One ride $26, all day pass $35.

The Labadee zip line has always been on its own so not surprised this one is as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the different between 1/2 day water park and full day water park become bigger.  However if there is an hour wait for a water slide and you only have a 1/2 day pass, there will be lots of complaints, bad social media coverage. 

Royal is famous for watching sales trends and adjusting prices.  If too many people gobble up the $44 pass, it will increase in price.  Basic supply and demand.  Demand goes up, prices go up.

Just check my upcoming Harmony sailings in 2019 and 2020. Not sure what it was before but the waterpark is showing up as $49 for the half day and $69 for the full day. (In port from 8am to 5pm)

pd-in-cc.PNG.1391df4cabd3fe7093c02ec26c454b15.PNG

Thrill Waterpark Cabana and Full Day Pass is at $629 for up to 6 people. Other two (Chill Island and Oasis Lagoon) cabanas are $399 for up to 8.

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So for your typical family of 4, it will be $156 for a half day and $176 for a full!  If you're @melski94, then it's even more!

We'll be staying on the ship to enjoy the "free" pool. lol 

IMHO I think that RC took the development of CC too far. I was excited for the new dock and not having to tender but not so much anymore. The Thanksgiving itinerary for Anthem is Bayonne, Port Canaveral, Nassau and Coco Cay. Canaveral/Cocoa Beach isn't a great port if you have been there more than once. Nassau is not worth getting off the ship for (discussed here many times in multiple threads) and with the changes at Coco Cay I don't think we will be getting off the ship for the whole cruise which is a bummer. I wonder how many more people will be staying on board.....so much for "quiet" days in port and being able to take advantage of the spa specials.....

Based on the pricing we've seen so far, I don't think its egregious at all. In fact, their prices are lower than I was expecting.  Look at how much Atlantis charges for its water park passes, as a good example.

At the end of the day, this represents choices.  There will still be plenty of beach to go to and plop down and enjoy like you always have.  If you want to spring for a cabana or water park pass or ride on the helium balloon, you can do that.  I think it's better to have those choices rather than RC roll the costs into everyone's cruise fare and then you pay for experiences you aren't going to be using.

I cannot wait to see what the finished product looks like

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Based on the pricing we've seen so far, I don't think its egregious at all. In fact, their prices are lower than I was expecting.  Look at how much Atlantis charges for its water park passes, as a good example.

At the end of the day, this represents choices.  There will still be plenty of beach to go to and plop down and enjoy like you always have.  If you want to spring for a cabana or water park pass or ride on the helium balloon, you can do that.  I think it's better to have those choices rather than RC roll the costs into everyone's cruise fare and then you pay for experiences you aren't going to be using.

I cannot wait to see what the finished product looks like

I agree.  I enjoy the laid back vibe and kinda do whatever I want of Coco Cay,  I more than likely wouldn't pay for the extras but for those who want that I don't have to pay for theirs.  Fine with me

I will be interested to see how many ppl get off the ship vs. who stays on. In my opinion a lot more will be staying on the ship...all these changes and costs will only  appeal to a small demographic.....I don't think Coco Cay will any longer be a relaxing or quiet beach day...even if you are staying at the "free" section of the island.

Guest toodle68
On 6/2/2018 at 11:25 AM, Matt said:

Totally agree.. as long as there is the option of a quiet beach (not near the floating bar) then I don't care too much what they do. Options are good. Being able to walk off & on the ship is great.

6 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

Totally agree.. as long as there is the option of a quiet beach (not near the floating bar) then I don't care too much what they do. Options are good. Being able to walk off & on the ship is great.

This is exactly how I feel - I love Coco Cay for being the easy beach day that it is and I personally dislike water parks, but I could see the appeal there for families with children. As long as I can still head to the beach and float in the water with a Corona, I'm a happy person.

Just now, mworkman said:

@Matt  It prompts you for the number of guest..then it totals it up for you.  Maybe they should fix that selection.

It says on the cabana details page that the price is per cabana, not per person.

So you just book it for yourself and then show up with whomever you'd like to bring.

I seen where it states price per cabana, not per person...I assumed that you had to select the guest so they would know who all was allowed.  It states: 

• Full-Day Rental: Up to 6 people can kick back and spread out across a lush sectional sofa and 2 resort-style chairs. Two outlets make it easy to charge up your devices.
  • Amenities: Your cabana attendant will keep your private cooler stocked with complimentary water bottles, and make sure you have all the complimentary towels you need.
  • Food & Drinks: Keep yourself fueled up for adventure with complimentary food, drinks and beverages from the nearby Snack Shack.

but doesn't stipulate that you couldn't have more that 6, just says up to 6 people can kick back and spread out....you could invite a dozen! LOL

Just now, mworkman said:

I seen where it states price per cabana, not per person...I assumed that you had to select the guest so they would know who all was allowed.  It states: 

• Full-Day Rental: Up to 6 people can kick back and spread out across a lush sectional sofa and 2 resort-style chairs. Two outlets make it easy to charge up your devices.
  • Amenities: Your cabana attendant will keep your private cooler stocked with complimentary water bottles, and make sure you have all the complimentary towels you need.
  • Food & Drinks: Keep yourself fueled up for adventure with complimentary food, drinks and beverages from the nearby Snack Shack.

but doesn't stipulate that you couldn't have more that 6, just says up to 6 people can kick back and spread out....you could invite a dozen! LOL

Nope! Just book the one cabana and bring whoever you'd like along. 

We have six adults and one child travelling with us to Coco Cay in January, and we plan to just book one beachfront cabana or bungalow for the seven of us so we have a central place to meet. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Matt said:

I completely agree. I was expecting the waterpark to be closer to $100 and didn't even think about them offering a half day. If I book a cruise there I would book that half day pass and feel like I'm getting a great deal. I love the idea of spending half the day at a waterpark and enjoying the rest of the day on the beach with food and drink included for $50. I think it is highly unlikely that I would be able to find that same quality of excursion anywhere else for $50.

Just now, cruiselife said:

I completely agree. I was expecting the waterpark to be closer to $100 and didn't even think about them offering a half day. If I book a cruise there I would book that half day pass and feel like I'm getting a great deal. I love the idea of spending half the day at a waterpark and enjoying the rest of the day on the beach with food and drink included for $50. I think it is highly unlikely that I would be able to find that same quality of excursion anywhere else for $50.

I agree - although I probably won't book the water park, it seems like a great reasonably priced option. 

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the price over time.

Oh it will be raised no doubt..I feel like this is an "introductory price(although I still wouldn't pay it)......and once they gage the interest and demand they will raise it to maximize profits...

Soda packages up almost 20% in 2019..i am sure alcoholic package's will be following soon...

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It is already higher on some sailings.  If you look at the post by @CGTLH for his sailing, that cabana is more the $500!  Not doubt it will increase.

It's not uncommon for prices to be higher on newer ships.  We see that already if you compare prices for activities and packages on a Radiance/Vision class ship to an Oasis/Quantum class ship.  You do pay more for the premium experience.

But isn't the island the same no matter what ship you sail on......so the experience should be the same. To charge higher just cause  you arrive on a newer ship doesn't seem fair at all. Its all about maximizing profits...they figure that people that are on the newer ship are paying more and willing to pay more.

I have to be honest...this whole Coco Cay thing makes me feel less excited about it than more. I am glad I am getting their one last time before all the changes take place...as I wont care to be there much after based on the cost alone....

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Nickel and dime? No, it's more like 50s and 100s.

Yet another reason to select itineraries that don't include this stop or to spend the day on the ship with minimized crowds.

With all due respect, I truly do not understand the logic you present.  I totally get you're disappointed that RC is adding things to CocoCay that cost extra.  I might point out that any island you visit has excursions that cost extra, and that the core "sit on a beach for free" option will still exist with Perfect Day. It's not like these options existed before and were complimentary and now they're charging for it.

I guess what I'm saying is why is it a problem for CocoCay to have additional options that costs extra when any other Caribbean port has free and not free excursions?

It's all still a lot cheaper than going to Atlantis in Nassau which I've never considered to be worth half of what that resort charges for it.  

The existing inflatable slide at CocoCay isn't free, the small existing water park in the ocean isn't free and sold in 1 hour blocks.  The snorkeling today isn't free.  I have yet to find a zip line anywhere that's free. 

If you don't want to participate in the existing or new optional activities, just go to the beach like we've always been able to.

18 hours ago, Matt said:

I guess what I'm saying is why is it a problem for CocoCay to have additional options that costs extra when any other Caribbean port has free and not free excursions?

What are the cultural and historical options on Coco Cay?

"Any other Caribbean port" has those options available.

11 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

None, but it's not to say all the activities cruise passengers engage in when visiting Cozumel, San Juan or Falmouth are exclusively of cultural or historical significance. 

9 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

While Coco Cay isn't maybe the most cultural or educational stop in the Caribbean, this counterargument to Coco Cay adding more paid options doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The point that I think Matt was trying to make is that no matter what port you go to, you're probably going to have to pay for something to do no matter what that something is. 

While I'm not a fan of water parks and I am personally bummed to see some of the natural beauty of the island covered up, there is still the option to go to the island for a "free" quiet beach day to float in the water with full drink package use and included lunch. Or, if not, enjoy the quietness of the ship (where you can still spend more money if you choose and have it go to the same place - ultimately). 

Still sounds like a win to me. 

Witholding judgment until I see it/try it but I cringe every time I see the pictures ... what used to be a beautiful peaceful island looks like a kids playground exploded all over it ... if it truly is peaceful and relaxing on the backside still then it probably wont ruin it for me to walk through it but I have a hard time envisioning the floating tiki bar area being the same after the redo.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, Matt said:

It says on the cabana details page that the price is per cabana, not per person.

So you just book it for yourself and then show up with whomever you'd like to bring.

Overall, it doesn't look like a bad deal.  the water park, zip line, etc.  are like regular excursion prices.  Yea, the private cabana will stick ya, but other than that, pretty reasonable.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Complete breakdown of Perfect Day at CocoCay prices, including what will be included and not included: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/06/05/royal-caribbean-officially-opens-perfect-day-island-experiences-bookings

I was just reading this!  Great blog that answers a lot of questions for me.

I'm excited!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Complete breakdown of Perfect Day at CocoCay prices, including what will be included and not included: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/06/05/royal-caribbean-officially-opens-perfect-day-island-experiences-bookings

Wonder how popular Coco Beach Club will end up being. Personally the prices seem a bit steep.

Do like the idea of Voom coverage on the island. Glad it will transfer over from the onboard purchase. Wonder if someday down the road Labadee will be the same.

One surprise is no Suite Beach.