Recap: Grandeur 9 Night Bermuda & Bahamas August 2017

twangster

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What?! You have a Carnival cruise booked??

You knew that, I had it booked when I booked the Grandeur. In fact I think you talked me out of it! LOL  I have till March 2020 to use it. I really don't want to sail on them! LOL

I might consider the Horizon, although the Pride is going into major drydock Feb 2019, how bad can it be? Probably really bad! LOL 

2 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

You knew that, I had it booked when I booked the Grandeur. In fact I think you talked me out of it! LOL  I have till March 2020 to use it. I really don't want to sail on them! LOL

I might consider the Horizon, although the Pride is going into major drydock Feb 2019, how bad can it be? Probably really bad! LOL 

Yes, that I do remember and I did talk you out of it.  I didn't realize you had a credit from it.  I thought you just cancelled it.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

The dilemma RCI faces is trying to find a buyer that won't turn around and offer dirt cheap Bahamas cruises impacting their strategy to Wow! the short cruise market with Mariner, Navigator, Indy and the Perfect Day at Cococay strategy.   

They can always sell it to Pullmantur as they're the parent company. And I hear Thomson (Marella Cruises) is short a ship as TUI Cruises kept the old Mein Schiff 2... 

5 hours ago, Neaxan said:

They can always sell it to Pullmantur as they're the parent company. And I hear Thomson (Marella Cruises) is short a ship as TUI Cruises kept the old Mein Schiff 2... 

They have but you gotta know the senior executives of Pullmantur are building a case for new ships, not hand-me-downs.

I may be an old fossil but I prefer the older well kept up ships freedom indy liberty are my idea of a mega ship I have sailed oasis class and did not like the feeling I got we seemed to be herded everywhere we went staff was mostly tired and stressed I hated the inside balconies everytime I opened my blinds it seemed like I had an audience I love the feeling of knowing the staff on the small ship if I had my choice for favorite ship in the fleet it would be enchantment so cozy personal for the most part it has always said welcome so happy for you to be here I am on the brilliance in oct and adventure in nov this year and I am absolutely thrilled at the thought I would book the enchantment but lately she has been mired in the craziness that is the port of Miami bring her to Canaveral and I'm there I am not saying the tech on board the monster ships is not fascinating but not for me oh maybe for 3 nights just to see what its like I like to cruise traditionally and focus my activities on the port stops I love the smiling welcoming faces of customer service on the monster class I have run into the o no what does this jerk want face once to many times I love the serenity areas on the smaller ships in my experience on monster class your lucky to get a seat and the hidden buffet they serve is great if you like standing long live the small personal ships and the great cruising experience Royal has perfected over the years leave the theme parks to Disney and universal I love to cruise period yes I am older but when I started cruising I was a younger man and felt the same way I do now ⚓

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the review! I will be sailing in her fir the first time in November and again in January. I, too have heard great things about her, particularly her loyal followers. You inspired me to possibly do some live blogging since I will be sailing solo on 4 cruises between September and January (once a month except October). 

37 minutes ago, Adriana said:

How did you feel about the complimentary dining? I am trying to decide if I should go for a dining package or not. Will try it for the two Anthem ones, but not sure about the Granduer. 

I was fine just doing MDR food each night for 9 nights.  Food is very personal though.  I'm not a foodie and I am easily pleased (because I didn't have to make it).  Certain items I've learned to avoid.  Steak Dianne is high on the avoid list for me, but maybe someone else loves it.  That's okay, to each their own. This applies to the whole fleet.  Overall fantastic service in Grandeur's My Time MDR for me. 

On 5/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What?! You have a Carnival cruise booked??

Source: Urban Dictionary  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pot Calling the Kettle Black

Pot Calling the Kettle Black

An expression that is said when one accuses another person of that which they are equally guilty of.

Just now, twangster said:

Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pot Calling the Kettle Black

Pot Calling the Kettle Black

An expression that is said when one accuses another person of that which they are equally guilty of.

@Boston Babe cancelled that one! lol

And yes, I have ventured into the dark Carnival side, once, and that was more than enough.

Or...are you still giving me hard time because in one day I'll be doing the single digit dance?!

21 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Or...are you still giving me hard time because in one day I'll be doing the single digit dance?!

I'm not sure @twangster is giving you a hard time, if I read correctly somewhere in the FB/Blog/Periscope world a certain someone has Double Digit cruises booked, so there is a strong possibility he's doing a single digit dance as well!  LOL!!!?!

Just now, Boston Babe said:

I'm not sure @twangster is giving you a hard time, if I read correctly somewhere in the FB/Blog/Periscope world a certain someone has Double Digit cruises booked, so there is a strong possibility he's doing a single digit dance as well!  LOL!!!?!

But my single digit dance is elsewhere....?...guilty...

• 4 weeks later...

@Sweety@coneyraven,  @twangster My husband, I and our next door neighbors will be going on the Grandeur 10/25/18. We tried the same cruise on same dates in 2012. That was Hurricane Sandy. We were disappointed that we never got out of the Chesapeake. We were anchored off shore for a week by Cape Charles, it was cold, not a ton to do but sit in a chilly solarium during the day. RCCL didn't even give us credit, refund. We would have gotten off before sailing, but the the Captain said that they would sail BEYOND the storm. We had already booked another cruise for that spring, but disappointed by their dismissiveness, cancelled. It has taken us 5 years to reconsider. The re-do dates called to us. So...we've decided to take the plunge, and treading trepidatiously. We live in Bmore. We are hoping that Mamacita nature decides to give us a break to see Bermuda. We looked into the Pride since RCCL was a "broken romance". The travel dates were not as conducive to my work schedule. This is not our first rodeo on cruises, but we've had some great vacations in all inclusives recently...Easy Peezy SW to DR and Mex. I am hoping that we can get back to loving cruises. We got the drink package but now I wonder if it is worth it? Thoughts?

You are going to live Lady G. I am not a drinker. We are diamond plus and my husband gets the three free drinks. I love to relax. Lady G doesn't have all the slides and activities. We were on a nine day cruise to Bermuda. We took the Royal excursion Bermuda tour. My family is still talking about it. I will be on the Lady G in two years. It's one of my favorite ships. I hope I answered some of your questions.

@crfqueen Welcome to the message boards!

Drink package value is always very personal.  How much do you consume?  Do you drink lots of special coffees and bottled water?  Each of us varies.

10/25/18 looks like a 7 night cruise with 3 days in Bermuda.  With 3 nights in Bermuda, if you plan to be off the ship most of the day will you drink enough to break even overall? 

Your question is a common one and Matt has written different blogs that might be able to help you answer that question:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/12/21/5-things-you-need-know-buying-royal-caribbean-drink-package

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-beverage-package-costs-info-tips

In reference to your past experiences, Royal has come a long way in how weather events are handled.  Did you know they are now the only cruise line with a full time Chief Meteorologist on their payroll?  In the past each Captain had to make their own decisions but now and since your last Royal cruise they have the resources of a full time and dedicated meteorologist to help them understand the bigger picture and make better decisions.  

While the default statement "you should have bought travel insurance" is technically correct I understand how disappointing mother nature can be and travel companies are the ones left holding the bag when weather happens.   Last year was a bad year for hurricanes and even more lessons were learned when ships had to divert and cruises had to be cancelled.

No one wants to hear about terms and conditions or legal contract verbiage during a disruption whether it's correct or not and they have grown over the years to deal with it better.  That doesn't change the need to consider travel insurance though, regardless which cruise line you sail with.  I buy insurance from a 3rd party, not from the cruise line.  

1 hour ago, crfqueen said:

@Sweety@coneyraven,  @twangster My husband, I and our next door neighbors will be going on the Grandeur 10/25/18. We tried the same cruise on same dates in 2012. That was Hurricane Sandy. We were disappointed that we never got out of the Chesapeake. We were anchored off shore for a week by Cape Charles, it was cold, not a ton to do but sit in a chilly solarium during the day. RCCL didn't even give us credit, refund. We would have gotten off before sailing, but the the Captain said that they would sail BEYOND the storm. We had already booked another cruise for that spring, but disappointed by their dismissiveness, cancelled. It has taken us 5 years to reconsider. The re-do dates called to us. So...we've decided to take the plunge, and treading trepidatiously. We live in Bmore. We are hoping that Mamacita nature decides to give us a break to see Bermuda. We looked into the Pride since RCCL was a "broken romance". The travel dates were not as conducive to my work schedule. This is not our first rodeo on cruises, but we've had some great vacations in all inclusives recently...Easy Peezy SW to DR and Mex. I am hoping that we can get back to loving cruises. We got the drink package but now I wonder if it is worth it? Thoughts?

Holy Crap --- My wife and I and several friends are on it with you ..... Be sure to join our Facebook group.  Search Grandeur of the Seas Howl at the Moon (don't forget your Halloween Costume.  80 Days to Go.

First of all ..... so sorry about Sandy ..... that was pure hell for everyone .... I live in FAR western Maryland and Sandy dealt us 3 feet of snow up here.

As for the drink package..... in this case, I feel it's worth it since we have 3+ sea days ...... If you drink 5-6 drinks a day each day, you broke even (keep in mind, this includes bottled water, specialty teas & coffee, and fresh squeezed OJ) --- we love the bottled water because it flushes the system after an evening of boozing. lol. We love the drink package .... It's nice not having to count your pennies and worry about how much you're spending ... plus, it gives you the ability to try new drinks with having to pay for them if you don't like them.

I seem to recall a similar experience in early October, 2016 with Hurricane Matthew -- they ended up going to NYC instead of Bermuda.

Last year, we dealt with Hurricane Jose during mid-September, but we still got to Bermuda, but it was a rough ride.  That's one reason why we're glad we're going in late October.  Hopefully hurricane season will be in the rear view mirror.

Mark

We bought it this time for sure, through the travel agency. We pre-bought the drink package, hoping to not have buyers remorse. I love my Starbucks, Gucci coffee. I am hoping they have something comparable. I am not a big alcohol drinker. Occ. Margarita/Pina Colada girlie drink. No wine. I am supposing that we will be off the ship in Bermuda and back for dinner and evening? Or am I short changing the experience and better to hand with the locals? My Hubby likes his beer and is thirsty 89% of the time. If it's not Beer on vacation, it's for sure diet soda. We will likely need water for the Beach. Praying for Beach time! I have read recently, not sure if current. I know that they had 5 years ago-Buckets of beer and 2 for 1 Margaritas specials. I don't understand the specialty restaurants. You used to be able to order steak every day, as some folks did years ago at dinner. Do they have singing waiters and theme nights anymore? I used to love getting dressed up in the evenings, Captain's dinner etc. Are they gone as well? 

I was just on Lady G in May to Bermuda.  I believe the cruise you are with @coneyraven is 7 nights. That gives you plenty of beach time.  I didn't see any singing waiters etc, I think that's gone (and I used to love that too).  Women were dressed for "formal/Chic/Best dress whatever they are calling it this minute all different.  Gowns to capris to dresses etc. You do what you want to do.  The ferry is right there you can take that to Hamilton in about 20 minutes versus the bus that will take almost an hour. Much to do right where the ship docks. I will say prayers for great weather, we are headed out Sept 2nd on sister cruise line so hoping to get out of NY harbor! LOL.  Sandy took it's toll on us in NY too. Hopefully not another one anytime soon.  

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, twangster said:

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, twangster said:

Cabin Tour! 

Inside cabin 2053, deck 2.  Booked as guarantee cabin.

Cruising solo a standard interior cabin works fine for me.

Grandeur-1.jpg.dfadfa323117ce1a043145b5015b87ff.jpg

A little tip...Get rid of that nightstand on the right...push the bed to the right... more accessible, walking room!!

OK Onto wifi. I have an aged parent that my kids will be looking after while we are away. What are your thoughts? Stream with or without zoom? We are used to FaceTime with the Grands. Yes its only a week...LOL Worth getting one, the combination? 

I have a phone that supports wifi calling and much of the time the plain Voom Surf level can be used for wifi phone calls.  Facetime video will need Surf and Stream.  

Grandeur wifi, like many older ships, works okay but there are some weak wifi locations on the ship.  Depending where your cabin is, wifi coverage in your cabin may not be perfect.  Satellite internet isn't like home internet but it works most of the time.  Heavy rain can weaken the satellite signal and slow down Voom.  Given all that, Voom works better compared to the internet on most other cruise lines, just understand it won't be the same as internet on land.

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

I have a phone that supports wifi calling and much of the time the plain Voom Surf level can be used for wifi phone calls.  Facetime video will need Surf and Stream.  

Grandeur wifi, like many older ships, works okay but there are some weak wifi locations on the ship.  Depending where your cabin is, wifi coverage in your cabin may not be perfect.  Satellite internet isn't like home internet but it works most of the time.  Heavy rain can weaken the satellite signal and slow down Voom.  Given all that, Voom works better compared to the internet on most other cruise lines, just understand it won't be the same as internet on land.

We are all over Grandeur and never have an issue with making wi-fi calls ..... From the Observatory on Deck 10 Forward to the Rock Climbing Wall Aft to our cabin on Deck 3..... Never a problem.

12 hours ago, crfqueen said:

FYI If you have already bought the drink package as I did...it went down to 42.00. I bought at 45. I canceled through somebody's great advise and saved like 50.00.

Well done .... Can you do me a HUGE favor ..... Share that info on the group page. 

Thanks,

Mark