RCCL and failure to disclose deposit program appropriately ... in the news ??

An interesting predicament on the RotS occured. At the end of the Next Cruise presentation, the Next Cruise staff, who was giving the presentation, was asked as to why the non-refundable and refundable deposit program were not explained in detail in the presentation. The staff member replied, and I quote, "That is covered under the terms and conditions, which refers to the pricing structure and OBC."  My brain said, "WTF!?!?" (excuse my french). The cruiser replied by stating that the staffers and RCCL's attempt in not disclosing certain information publically or circumventing the disclosure of such information is not appropriate and such sales tactics on the staffers and/or RCCL's part won't go un-noticed.  At this point, other cruisers became curious as to why the staffer could not provide an answer or explain the deposit programs. Apparently, we were all told that this would be explained once we were in "the process of booking". Of course this didn't sit well with many and cruisers started to leave BUT not till the initial cruiser who posed the question got up and before he left stated, "Thanks, but no thanks. We all received AN answer, but I'll make sure that this disclosure is made public."  Long story short, curiousity got the best of me and I found out that this cruiser is a news corespondent on a major news network!!  I guess RCCL is going to get bad press after certain individuals on this cruise, whom were at the presentation, will be validating and voicing their concerns through the media !! Talk about the WOW factor!!  

Blind siding someone giving a presentation compared to conducting a proper media interview are two different things.  No wonder you can't believe anything the media says.

If you book through NextCruise they explain during the booking process what the terms and conditions are, including that you have 30 days to change your mind penalty free. 

I still make refundable booking through a travel agent.  This is an option not available on certain other cruise lines who only offer non-refundable. 

If you seek to find a conspiracy you will. 

I used to book with Next Cruise.  Not anymore.  I was given false information, by the manager,  regarding obc and transferring to a TA.  I absolutely believe he knew it too.  Just wanted to close a deal.  So,  I’m not at all shocked at the response from the Next Cruise staffer.  

Just now, Hutcherl said:

I used to book with Next Cruise.  Not anymore.  I was given false information, by the manager,  regarding obc and transferring to a TA.  I absolutely believe he knew it too.  Just wanted to close a deal.  So,  I’m not at all shocked at the response from the Next Cruise staffer.  

I don't use NextCruise anymore either for a number of reasons including they will say anything to obtain a booking.  However they've never misled me about NRDB (non-nonrefundable deposits).

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Blind siding someone giving a presentation compared to conducting a proper media interview are two different things.  No one wonder you can't believe anything the media says.

If you book through NextCruise they explain during the booking process what the terms and conditions are, including that you have 30 days to change your mind penalty free. 

I still make refundable booking through a travel agent.  This is an option not available on certain other cruise lines who only offer non-refundable. 

If you seek to find a conspiracy you will. 

OK twangster.. I believe you have and are totally missing the point as :

a) no one was blind sided as the presentation was completed when the question of the deposit program was presented.

b) what is the issue of explaining the deposit program to everyone present rather than individually ? 

c) the answer to "B" above is that RCCL is trying to get you to that Next Cruise desk and pitch you a gimick. 

The issue on hand is why "tell half a story and keep the plot a secret", unless there is a motive?

The media has no knowledge of this, yet, and there is no difference between the media and posting on this blog. Same destinations taking different avenues (media, fb, blogs, twitter, etc.). 

By the way, before anyone asks, I was present when all this occurred. I'm currently on the sailing!! Woohoo!!

3 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@twangster You've got me confused ?, which isn't hard to do. ? Your stating that the NextCruise rep lays out the booking process and @princevaliantus is saying that it's the NextCruise was presenting a briefing and failed to do so and was called out for not disclosing this info....did I miss something?

You got it right @mworkman !!  I thought I needed to provide visuals!! ?

2 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@twangster You've got me confused ?, which isn't hard to do. ? Your stating that the NextCruise rep lays out the booking process and @princevaliantus is saying that it's the NextCruise was presenting a briefing and failed to do so and was called out for not disclosing this info....did I miss something?

The presentation is series of powerpoint slides they step through. 

Do they have a slide with 96 point font in bold stating "NextCruise booking are non-refundable"?  - NO.

It's intended to be a general information session with the goal of informing people that they exist and to highlight different types of cruises available.  .  New or inexperienced cruisers don't know there is such a thing as the NextCruise desk. 

Is it a sales pitch?  Yes!  That is the goal - get people to visit the NextCruise desk.

I do not believe it is designed to be a technical session explaining the intricacies of every detail in the terms and conditions.  

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You reap what you sow.

I would also add...caveat emptor, and never lose your posture or ability to walk away at any point in a sales presentation...

At the same time, it doesn't look like (and it is not surprising) that any of the players there were completely altruistic...RC wants to close the sale, the questioner thinks they have a gotcha scoop which is characteristic of the vultures in the press who are as despised as the government. The difference is that if you don't like it, you can cancel with no penalty, so the winner is RC 2-1 in my opinion.

Just now, twangster said:

The presentation is series of powerpoint slides they step through. 

Do they have a slide with 96 point font in bold stating "NextCruise booking are non-refundable"?  - NO.

It's intended to be a general information session with the goal of informing people that they exist and to highlight different types of cruises available.  .  New or inexperienced cruisers don't know there is such a thing as the NextCruise desk. 

Is it a sales pitch?  Yes!  That is the goal - get people to visit the NextCruise desk.

I do not believe it is designed to be a technical session explaining the intricacies of every detail in the terms and conditions.  

I'm with you there, BUT, a question was presented to the staffer to answer and it wasn't.  Why? And try not to circumvent the issue. 

15 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

OK twangster.. I believe you have and are totally missing the point as :

a) no one was blind sided as the presentation was completed when the question of the deposit program was presented.

b) what is the issue of explaining the deposit program to everyone present rather than individually ? 

c) the answer to "B" above is that RCCL is trying to get you to that Next Cruise desk and pitch you a gimick. 

The issue on hand is why "tell half a story and keep the plot a secret", unless there is a motive?

The media has no knowledge of this, yet, and there is no difference between the media and posting on this blog. Same destinations taking different avenues (media, fb, blogs, twitter, etc.). 

By the way, before anyone asks, I was present when all this occurred. I'm currently on the sailing!! Woohoo!!

Experienced and long term cruisers have long enjoyed using refundable deposits as a means to book something, even something they knew they probably would never sail, to obtain NextCruise OBC they could retain after changing a booking a number of times and sailing years later.  That wasn't the intention of the NextCruise or refundable deposits program and it created instability in the ability to sell out a ship inventory of cabins. 

Royal had to respond and close the loop hole that people were abusing and they have done so by putting NRDB (Non Refundable Deposits) first and foremost across everything they do.  From the website to NextCruise, NRDB is king.

In doing so they aligned themselves with other cruise lines.

At the same time Royal now has dozens of marketing or sales campaigns where as in the past they never did.  Now there is new sale event every few weeks. 

Quite honestly in my opinion NextCruise has become obsolete.  You can do better taking advantage of the weekly sale events and book a cruise without having to wait to be on board to visit NextCruise.

Some people are bitter they've lost the perceived benefit that NextCruise used to be and the loop hole to abuse the refundable deposit has been closed. 

Aggressively attacking a presenter then storming out mid-way is immature and boorish.  If you don't like something, vote with your wallet and go book with that other cruise line that offers the loop hole.  Oh wait, you can't because it doesn't exist.  So instead of behaving like a mature adult, become a drama queen and interrupt a presentation like a little child. 

I don't like it either.  I'd love to be able to abuse the system to my benefit.  i can't though, they closed the loop hole.

Having said all this, the NRDB is explained during the booking process at the NextCruise desk.   So what if they don't have a slide in the powerpoint deck that calls out and explains NRDB in detail?  It is not a technical presentation explaining all of the terms and conditions of a booking.

This post is FAKE NEWS!

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Experienced and long term cruisers have long enjoyed using refundable deposits as a means to book something, even something they knew they probably would never sail, to obtain NextCruise OBC they could retain after changing a booking a number of times and sailing years later.  That wasn't the intention of the NextCruise or refundable deposits program and it created instability in the ability to sell out a ship inventory of cabins. 

Royal had to respond and close the loop hole that people were abusing and they have done so by putting NRDB (Non Refundable Deposits) first and foremost across everything they do.  From the website to NextCruise, NRDB is king.

In doing so they aligned themselves with other cruise lines.

At the same time Royal now has dozens of marketing or sales campaigns where as in the past they never did.  Now there is new sale event every few weeks. 

Quite honestly in my opinion NextCruise has become obsolete.  You can do better taking advantage of the weekly sale events and book a cruise without having to wait to be on board to visit NextCruise.

Some people are bitter they've lost the perceived benefit that NextCruise used to be and the loop hole to abuse the refundable deposit has been closed. 

Aggressively attacking a presenter then storming out mid-way is immature and boorish.  If you don't like something, vote with your wallet and go book with that other cruise line that offers the loop hole.  Oh wait, you can't because it doesn't exist.  So instead of behaving like a mature adult, become a drama queen and interrupt a presentation like a little child. 

I don't like it either.  I'd love to be able to abuse the system to my benefit.  i can't though, they closed the loop hole.

Having said all this, the NRDB is explained during the booking process at the NextCruise desk.   So what if they don't have a slide in the powerpoint deck that calls out and explains NRDB in detail?  It is not a technical presentation explaining all of the terms and conditions of a booking.

This post is FAKE NEWS!

Wow!! A simple answer would have suffice, such as "maybe the staffer was in training and didn't currently have all the info", but, circumventing seems to be a safe play. OK. Next topic. 

My advice, if you want the best price, book early and keep it refundable just in case you need to change/cancel your reservation. This way, you will get the flexibility without the Royal "CHECKMATE"! 

I've visited the NextCruise desk once and could not tell you if they did or did not explain what the difference options, refundable vs non refundable were.  However I asked what the best deal that I could get for a cruise that I was interested in.  They gave me their price and I knew I could bet that with my TA.  So I walked away thanking them for there time and went on to enjoy my vacation.

The key rule that I've learned long time ago was to get everything in writing before I agreed to anything. One you walk away it's too late then.

Research is the key to everything ?  Not all of us has big bucks like that LULU girl ?????

8 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Wow!! A simple answer would have suffice, such as "maybe the staffer was in training and didn't currently have all the info", but, circumventing seems to be a safe play. OK. Next topic. 

My advice, if you want the best price, book early and keep it refundable just in case you need to change/cancel your reservation. This way, you will get the flexibility without the Royal "CHECKMATE"! 

Simple answer - NRDB is the standard default deposit.  Why explain the default? 

19 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I've visited the NextCruise desk once and could not tell you if they did or did not explain what the difference options, refundable vs non refundable were.  However I asked what the best deal that I could get for a cruise that I was interested in.  They gave me their price and I knew I could bet that with my TA.  So I walked away thanking them for there time and went on to enjoy my vacation.

The key rule that I've learned long time ago was to get everything in writing before I agreed to anything. One you walk away it's too late then.

Research is the key to everything ?  Not all of us has big bucks like that LULU girl ?????

Luv it !!  ?

42 minutes ago, mworkman said:

this was my experience to the tee I went to the desk once never to return again the rep gave me a price so over the top that I questioned if there could have been a mistake this is when the whole experience went south the rep told me that's the price I thanked her and left nextcruise is apparently a sub business overseen by royal which seems to operate on commission I will go with AAA or my royal senior vaca planner for all future cruises

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

Who me?  I'm a teacher.  Teachers have no money.  ?

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Long story short, curiousity got the best of me and I found out that this cruiser is a news corespondent on a major news network!!  I guess RCCL is going to get bad press after certain individuals on this cruise, whom were at the presentation, will be validating and voicing their concerns through the media !! Talk about the WOW factor!!  

After reading through this thread, maybe I too am missing the point in that I don't see what the problem is??  The default now is the NRD option so why is it a big deal that the presenter left it out in a general info presentation?  That is not any more sneaky then it disappearing off the website (until the very end).  That being said, now my curiosity has got the better of me so I'm going to ask...Who is the news correspondent and the major news network??  Don't start at topic and move on and leave us hanging.  If it's not fake news, then it should make the news right?  That would be something I would want to keep my eye out for.

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Who me?  I'm a teacher.  Teachers have no money.  ?

After reading through this thread, maybe I too am missing the point in that I don't see what the problem is??  The default now is the NRD option so why is it a big deal that the presenter left it out in a general info presentation?  That is not anymore sneaky then it disappearing off the website (until the very end).  That being said, now my curiosity has got the better of me so I'm going to ask...Who is the news correspondent and the major news network??  Don't start at topic and move on and leave us hanging.  If it's not fake news, then it should make the news right?  That would be something I would want to keep my eye out for.

image.png

Don't use the term "Fake news" when it hasn't been broadcasted by the news media. Use it appropriately or don't use it at all. The issue was a question that was not addressed by a staff member on RCCL when asked. But now it is moot. 

9 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Don't use the term "Fake news" when it hasn't been broadcasted by the news media. Use it appropriately or don't use it at all. The issue was a question that was not addressed by a staff member on RCCL when asked. But now it is moot. 

Why is it moot?  It might be broadcasted right?  I would definitely be interested in reading an article/report like that.  

And sorry, I have no idea how that attachment got on.  I thought I had deleted it?

2 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

the questioner thinks they have a gotcha scoop which is characteristic of the vultures in the press who are as despised as the government.

C'mon, tell us how you really feel! ?   I'm sure there are some good ones, but many have certainly earned the title of vulture.

Bottom line - a guest is unhappy about NRDB becoming the only option on the website or at the NextCruise desk and uses the NextCruise presentation to vent his or her frustration.

They questioned the presenter, a member of the NextCruise team who is basically a travel agent, a policy question they know they can't answer.  In doing so they framed it incorrectly, suggesting there is no mention of the NRDB policy anywhere publicly which is false. 

The NextCruise travel agent correctly and appropriately responds "That is covered under the terms and conditions, which refers to the pricing structure and OBC." - which it is. 

The terms and conditions including NRDB is presented early in the process of booking a cruise on the website and having used NextCruise since NRDB became the standard I can verify they do disclose it during the NextCruise booking process.  On my NextCruise printed confirmation it is highlighted with a green highlighter that the NextCruise agent specifically pointed out including my ability to cancel within 30 days without penalty.  At no point was the NRDB policy hidden or kept from me and if I just had not listened and discovered it a week later I could still cancel without a fee.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

1305225807_rcpolicy.jpeg.50586b5cd2cae85fe0747d45ff1869d5.jpeg

Perhaps the reporter was expecting the policy to be hung on the wall of each cabin as a poster?  Possibly handed out on a sheet a paper as your board the ship?  Played on the TV system right after the "Wash your hands" jingle?

I get people are upset that Royal is matching other cruise lines now and they have made NRDB the standard or default deposit for new bookings.  However sticking to the facts, it is anything but hidden or a secret.