Facebook notifications?

Snoopsmom2

FB notifications are a little more tricky compared to Periscope to set up but a lot depends what else you do on FB. 

First make sure you are following the Royal Caribbean Blog on FB.  On an iPhone that looks like this:

IMG_0405.jpg.04325a33bf5d8a6c694da3c25330bbe4.jpg

Tap on the Following icon to edit your notifications options.  Make sure "Get Notifications" is on:

IMG_0406.jpg.15531c17d94f7199962e459fff5bb1ef.jpg

Then you can edit the notifications to get those that you want:

IMG_0407.jpg.07afa748cb542a4a3b118270cb438914.jpg

In your phone settings you need to make sure the Facebook app is allowed to provide notifications as well.

Thank you Twangster. Actually, all my settings look exactly like those you posted. I also have notifications set for Facebook proper. I guess I was hoping for something like the “whistle” you hear when a Periscope activates. No such luck, I guess.

I understand exactly what you are saying and I miss the majority of @Matt's FB live sessions due to missed notifications. 

The Periscope whistle works quite well, if only a lot of other Periscope things worked as well.  

Instagram (another FB app) has equally weak notifications and I've yet to be notified anytime he goes live on IG.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:39 PM, Snoopsmom2 said:

Thank you Twangster. Actually, all my settings look exactly like those you posted. I also have notifications set for Facebook proper. I guess I was hoping for something like the “whistle” you hear when a Periscope activates. No such luck, I guess.

think that feature is required for you to enable Push Notifications in the app's settings. Easiest way to ensure this is set correctly is to just delete the app and re-install it.  When you launch the app after installing, it should pop up with something like "Would you like to enable push notifications" and that's when you hit yes.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

think that feature is required for you to enable Push Notifications in the app's settings. Easiest way to ensure this is set correctly is to just delete the app and re-install it.  When you launch the app after installing, it should pop up with something like "Would you like to enable push notifications" and that's when you hit yes.

@Matt, I think the larger issue that I'm seeing reported here is that the Facebook / Instagram notifications appear on people's screens, but not with any accompanying sound (or vibration if the device is in silent mode), and as a result people miss those broadcasts. Whereas Periscope notifications display on screen and play a distinctive sound / vibrate when muted, so that it's much harder to miss if you don't have your phone out where you can see the notification appear.

54 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I think the larger issue that I'm seeing reported here is that the Facebook / Instagram notifications appear on people's screens, but not with any accompanying sound

I see what you mean.  I think ultimately this is an issue with how FB has designed their app. 

The in-FB settings that @twangster outlined are the basics, and what you ought to do to ensure FB itself notifies you when I go live.  

Periscope notifications works because it's a specific app for this function.  

FB Messenger is a separate app with a unique notification sound that is distinct and different than the FB app.

FB Live is contained within the FB app so you are dependent on the FB app notification framework which is the issue.  If FB Live was a separate app I think the problem would be solved.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Matt...just noticed you posted on the FB page that you plan to go live later at 1pm.  This is a great idea since those notifications don't always come around!

Thanks.  If I can help it, I try to use that option to give folks a heads up.