“Suite Lounge” ........

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What is this "IF" nonsense?  At the rate you are cruising, you will be there before I can even make D+!

I can't keep up this pace.  I really want 340 to get reduced single supplement.  With that achieved I can afford to cruise with Matt in peak season, plus take some more exotic cruises like Hawaii, Norway,  Transpacific, etc.  Right now those are too pricey when paying 200%.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I can't keep up this pace.  I really want 340 to get reduced single supplement.  With that achieved I can afford to cruise with Matt in peak season, plus take some more exotic cruises like Hawaii, Norway,  Transpacific, etc.  Right now those are too pricey when paying 200%.

This coming from the guy who was like, "What will I fill my time with between June - October so I can get my glass block on Symphony?  Oops, I just booked Mariner...Oops, I just booked another 8 cruises before that..."  It's the like boy who cried wolf lol ?

You know I'm just kidding right?   We all benefit from you cruising...

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This coming from the guy who was like, "What will I fill my time with between June - October so I can get my glass block on Symphony?  Oops, I just booked Mariner...Oops, I just booked another 8 cruises before that..."  It's the like boy who cried wolf lol ?

You know I'm just kidding right?   We all benefit from you cruising...

No Live blog for you!

53381554_poster210x230f8f8f8-pad210x230f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg.d127573230321fd7e2b38f06f7ccfb42.jpg

The problem lies with the Radiance class and below.  When we were on the Serenade, we decided to take a peak into the concierge club . Boy was it packed to the hilt. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a pinnacle member and the diamond club was the same, after several diamond members complained about it, management opened up the Viking Crown lounge as an overflow.

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

is this a change in policy or the way its always been?

Don't these people that pay lots of $$ for a suite get all kinds of perks for their money already? Surely sharing a lounge with some seasoned cruises doesn't ruin your experience or make you feel like you aren't getting what your entitled to? And I cant imagine they are over crowded.

I guess these are problems I will never have to worry about....staying in a suite and being waited on or reaching pinnacle.

There is lots that I don't like or agree with that Royal does...this doesn't even register as an issue for 95% of cruise passengers....just the elite ones I guess!..lol Sounds like those who sit in first class and complain about how NOT first class enough it is......first world problems eh?!....

Maybe cruise on a ship that doesn't have a suite lounge...then you wont have to deal with those pinnacle people that spent like 700 nights in a inside room to reach that status...haha

Now if your are pinnacle AND you can still afford to book a suite...then you deserve a whole lounge to yourself.....:4_joy:

Oh..and this thread should prob be under Discussion rather than News and Rumors?

To reach “ The Pinnacle” 700 nights in a regular room !!!!?  OH MY God.  These people is royal for Royal!

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, Tony....but couldn't this couple JUST as easily have been inconsiderate suite guests ?

Yes for sure. I am now back to my happy place playing the “Heidi the beer lady” slot machine in CR. I swear if I get side swiped by the disgruntled couple on their zoot scoots in CR I will be crafting another post! Lol 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

RCI needs to throw the JS people a bone.   

@twangster Don't forget on non Oasis and Quantum ships they get that silver seapass card that nobody else on the ship is entitled to. That's what you are paying for :10_wink:

I find the suite and concierge lounge an interesting place to people watch. We were on Ovation for a trans pacific crossing. This type of cruise seems to attract all the Diamond + and Pinnacles and there did seem to be an atmosphere of entitlement that was not present on other cruises we have done, It was also quite cliquey.

In my opinion RCI created these lounges for people to have one or two drinks before dinner in a relaxing environment but as time has gone by some people see it as a chance to get as much "free" alcohol as they can consume. It was not uncommon for people to turn up at the lounge and stay until 8pm when the lounge closed. I think this is taking advantage and is not what was intended for the lounges.

Given RCI's penchant for finding savings maybe in the future they will try to curtail this by limiting the number of drinks in the lounges.

In terms of concierge lounge overcrowding it was definitely an issue on Ovation and Explorer if you arrived when it opened but if you went after 6pm it was not so bad for finding a seat.

This obviously varies greatly ship to ship and sailing to sailing. In our lone Concierge Lounge experience to date, our family of six were often the only ones in the lounge other than the Concierge and the bartender. When it was "crowded" we encountered as many as 20 people at one time.

I don't care if all 14 others were Pinnacle (or even not really eligible to be in the lounge) - it's not as though our ability to enjoy the perks was compromised.

12 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Given RCI's penchant for finding savings maybe in the future they will try to curtail this by limiting the number of drinks in the lounges.

Great analysis.  I agree with everything you said and I suspect the above is coming very soon.  They have already experimented with requiring the servers to "swipe" cards during the happy hour; my guess is this was a test to see how much it slowed everything down and how much bitching resulted.  I foresee a time coming where those in the lounges will be restricted to the same 3 drinks that they permit outside of the clubs.

My lowly junior suite status got me one thing on Adventure; entry thru the Suites/Pinnacle entrance at the port.  Not even suite disembarkation!  Had to wait in the lowly C&A lounge.  LOL  

From the top tier party: 

Total: 1588

Gold: 846

Platinum: 291

Emerald: 130

Diamond: 235

D Plus: 94

Pinnacle: 9

Top Cruiser:  1491 pts

"Double pinnacle" honored at reaching 1400

14 hours ago, F1guynz said:

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree with everything you said and I suspect the above is coming very soon.  They have already experimented with requiring the servers to "swipe" cards during the happy hour; my guess is this was a test to see how much it slowed everything down and how much bitching resulted.  I foresee a time coming where those in the lounges will be restricted to the same 3 drinks that they permit outside of the clubs.

The cost of Diamond happy hour has got to be on someone's radar.  I've sat there and watched the drinks flow, people stuffing 6 soda's or beers in their purse or watched a drunk D/D+/P fall down drunk and crash into a table spilling everyone's drinks only to be hauled away in a wheelchair because of how much they consumed.

On Anthem in December a DL server told me "changes are coming".  In January they no longer consumed the entire upper level of the Music Hall as overflow each evening.  This year on Liberty, Serenade and Adventure they never consumed the VCL as overflow despite the DL busting at it's seams when happy hour began. 

So far the changes seem to include making the DL an uncomfortable place to be by not overflowing outside of the club.  They never seem to enforce the "drinks can't leave the DL" policy.  To some degree it has worked as I tend to visit bars using my drink coupons before dinner now because the DL is chaos and you can never find a seat until past 6:30pm when dinner has finally persuaded most to get out of their chair.

Putting on my "I own the company for a day" hat, I'd certainly be asking my team how to contain the Diamond happy hour extravaganza.  With the growing number of Diamonds they are going to need make additional changes or adjust the thresholds to achieve levels.  That is dangerous talk right there because of folks who have been working for years at achieving Diamond and alienating them or pushing them to the competition if they "move the goal posts during the game".

The elimination of the CL and converting them to SL is part of this effort leaving the DL alone... for now at least.  I suspect they are waiting to see how that plays out before making more changes.

No other line offers the type of happy hour elite benefit that RCI does.  Carnival's platinum level is achieved at roughly the Diamond level and the biggest benefit is priority boarding.  Once on board Carnival's platinum doesn't do much for you and there is no equivalent lounge or daily free happy hour at any Carnival level.    I've certainly felt like more changes are coming as RCI aligns itself with the industry more and more which is why I made a push for D+ hoping to be grandfathered in in case they make drastic changes.  

10 minutes ago, KathyC said:

My father-in-law was telling us about how on Celebrity he got free drinks each night after only 3 or 4 cruises.  He was really annoyed that his travel agent told him he couldn't get a status match on this RCCL cruise.  

What is his Captain's Club level?  

If you are a Captain’s Club Select or Le Club Voyage Explorer member, then you will receive Platinum benefits if you sail on a Royal Caribbean ship. If you are a Captain’s Club Elite or Discoverer in Le Club Voyage, then you will receive Diamond benefits for the Crown & Anchor Society.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=971&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown

21 hours ago, Matt said:

On paper, perhaps.  But Pinnacle members are often coddled by the crew onboard with special events and access.  Go to any C&A reception and/or suite event and there is more than meets the eye when it comes to their benefits.

Thanks Matt - that's very encouraging. I look forward to be able to confirm this from personal experience in about 20 months from now.

ah it is so nice to not have such worries we lowly emeralds which I finally achieve the first night of my oct sailing will have to do for now and I know for a fact I will never be able to enjoy the mysteries of the suite lounge my income has doomed me to this fate but my booked future cruises will get me to the diamond watering hole sometime in feb 2019 for now I will deal with the luxuries Jack experienced in steerage on the titanic maybe I can meet a rich spoiled girl as he did to show me the luxuries of the suite class if not for the cruise but for an hour or so but with the spectrum now going to segregated experiences this may never happen I love the cruise life and will always enjoy it whether I have to do it from below deck or above some of us have it and some of us don't being one of the don'ts is not so bad I'm still riding the seas and for now will have to be satisfied with my deluxe plush C+A robe happy cruising to all 

I had a vision.  Diamond 1 drink per day at a bar not in the lounge.  Diamond plus 2 drinks per day in lounge from 5 to 6 p.m standing room only.   Pinnacle 3 drinks per day and snacks in the lounge from 5 to 8 p.m. in the furnished section.    "Bonn  Appetit".     New Points categories  as follows:    Diamond = 150 points.   Diamond plus = 275 points.  Pinnacle = 1 Gazillion points.  Effective date  1-1-2018.  No exceptions.  Enjoy your cruise.  

3 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

ah it is so nice to not have such worries we lowly emeralds which I finally achieve the first night of my oct sailing will have to do for now and I know for a fact I will never be able to enjoy the mysteries of the suite lounge my income has doomed me to this fate but my booked future cruises will get me to the diamond watering hole sometime in feb 2019 for now I will deal with the luxuries Jack experienced in steerage on the titanic maybe I can meet a rich spoiled girl as he did to show me the luxuries of the suite class if not for the cruise but for an hour or so but with the spectrum now going to segregated experiences this may never happen I love the cruise life and will always enjoy it whether I have to do it from below deck or above some of us have it and some of us don't being one of the don'ts is not so bad I'm still riding the seas and for now will have to be satisfied with my deluxe plush C+A robe happy cruising to all 

I'm right there with you... Guess being in a suite is a rich mans problem.  Wow, someone who someone else think shouldn't be here even though they've spent about 100K to cruise on this line.  If thats the case maybe those who cruise in a suite shouldn't be allowed the the MDR or Windjammer, after all, we're just steerage...

On 5/25/2018 at 12:50 PM, twangster said:

What is his Captain's Club level?  

If you are a Captain’s Club Select or Le Club Voyage Explorer member, then you will receive Platinum benefits if you sail on a Royal Caribbean ship. If you are a Captain’s Club Elite or Discoverer in Le Club Voyage, then you will receive Diamond benefits for the Crown & Anchor Society.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=971&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown

I have no idea.  He didn't say.  He was super annoyed at his TA for a few things (one being he changed their dining reservation on them) and this was just one more thing to be mad about.  He didn't understand how a TA could not know something like this.  It came up when I was telling him that we're waiting until we hit Diamond next year to try a Celebrity cruise, so we get the elevated status match.

21 minutes ago, janza said:

I'm not sure I really care who's in the suite lounge.  I'm fortunate enough to be eligible to enjoy the SL or CL as is anyone else who is eligible.

As long as no one is trying to take my seat, why should I care what others are doing? It doesn't affect me.

The gist is that You won't have a seat due to the seats available being take by all those who aren't in a suite.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, twangster said:

The cost of Diamond happy hour has got to be on someone's radar.  I've sat there and watched the drinks flow, people stuffing 6 soda's or beers in their purse or watched a drunk D/D+/P fall down drunk and crash into a table spilling everyone's drinks only to be hauled away in a wheelchair because of how much they consumed.

On Anthem in December a DL server told me "changes are coming".  In January they no longer consumed the entire upper level of the Music Hall as overflow each evening.  This year on Liberty, Serenade and Adventure they never consumed the VCL as overflow despite the DL busting at it's seams when happy hour began. 

So far the changes seem to include making the DL an uncomfortable place to be by not overflowing outside of the club.  They never seem to enforce the "drinks can't leave the DL" policy.  To some degree it has worked as I tend to visit bars using my drink coupons before dinner now because the DL is chaos and you can never find a seat until past 6:30pm when dinner has finally persuaded most to get out of their chair.

Putting on my "I own the company for a day" hat, I'd certainly be asking my team how to contain the Diamond happy hour extravaganza.  With the growing number of Diamonds they are going to need make additional changes or adjust the thresholds to achieve levels.  That is dangerous talk right there because of folks who have been working for years at achieving Diamond and alienating them or pushing them to the competition if they "move the goal posts during the game".

The elimination of the CL and converting them to SL is part of this effort leaving the DL alone... for now at least.  I suspect they are waiting to see how that plays out before making more changes.

No other line offers the type of happy hour elite benefit that RCI does.  Carnival's platinum level is achieved at roughly the Diamond level and the biggest benefit is priority boarding.  Once on board Carnival's platinum doesn't do much for you and there is no equivalent lounge or daily free happy hour at any Carnival level.    I've certainly felt like more changes are coming as RCI aligns itself with the industry more and more which is why I made a push for D+ hoping to be grandfathered in in case they make drastic changes.  

I can tell you when royal will change there perks for diamond members it will be feb 2019 how do you know you may ask BECAUSE that's when I become diamond I hope they don't take away my plush crown and anchor robe my prediction before to long cruising with royal will be a total ala carte experience from boarding to disembark

1 hour ago, henrysea13 said:

I can tell you when royal will change there perks for diamond members it will be feb 2019 how do you know you may ask BECAUSE that's when I become diamond I hope they don't take away my plush crown and anchor robe my prediction before to long cruising with royal will be a total ala carte experience from boarding to disembark

See, it's posts like this where you need to be able to choose two reactions. Laugh for the first half, but sad for the second.

14 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

See, it's posts like this where you need to be able to choose two reactions. Laugh for the first half, but sad for the second.

I'm still waiting for the "shaking my head" reaction ?

@henrysea13 I'm going to reach Diamond very soon too so fingers crossed that nothing else gets taken...

On 5/24/2018 at 10:27 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

I’m certain this will not be a popular opinion on this forum but I’m gonna say it. I think the Suite Lounge should be reserved for suite guests who pay a premium for something special. I think people with RC Pinnacle Status should stick to the Diamond Lounge. It would be less crowded and offer a more special experience for those of us who pay. You could make the case that they got to Pinnacle by spending money, however, it’s not difficult for a person of means & time to cruise in inside cabins to obtain status. If I’m going to pay larger sums of money for a suite then I want an experience. Sorry Pinnacle folks

I completely agree with you!!!!!!

On 5/24/2018 at 11:15 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

I think any Suite level above JS should enjoy exclusive perks that are separate from what the Pinnacle folks receive. One is based on Ststus and the other is based on spending more money to have a more exclusive experience. It’s great that you have achieved Pinnacle but if you didn’t book a suite for a particular cruise then you shouldn’t have business in the Suite Lounge. Just my opinion. 

I agree!

Just now, Lindsay said:

I agree!

I’m glad at least the 2 of us are on the same page. Undoubtably on a Royal Caribbean forum there will be pushback from my statement by the folks with D+ or Pinnacle status but it’s good to know that I’m not alone in saying that if you pay more money then you deserve an experience that is above the average. I don’t prefer to share the suite lounge experience with people that did not pay the price to be there! 

40 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I’m glad at least the 2 of us are on the same page. Undoubtably on a Royal Caribbean forum there will be pushback from my statement by the folks with D+ or Pinnacle status but it’s good to know that I’m not alone in saying that if you pay more money then you deserve an experience that is above the average. I don’t prefer to share the suite lounge experience with people that did not pay the price to be there! 

D+ folks shouldn't be painted with your same brush.  They do not after all have access to the Suite Lounge.

On these same lines, do you think too that folks who use casino rates to slip into suites should be banned as well? 

On 5/24/2018 at 3:12 PM, twangster said:

I've seen plenty of annoying non-Pinnacle suite guests in the lounge.

I swear if I ever make it to Pinnacle I'm not going to wear the badge but do things to annoy the entitled Pinnacles.  When they complain I'll whip out my SeaPass card like a trump card ?

How do you even know who is Pinnacle or Diamond and who is just a suite-dweller?  Do they Pinnacle/Diamond people where signs?  LOL

27 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

How do you even know who is Pinnacle or Diamond and who is just a suite-dweller?  Do they Pinnacle/Diamond people where signs?  LOL

You can't always, but there are certain signs such as asking the concierge some very dumb question and taking 30 minutes of their time doing so that illustrates a complete lack of cruise history or applying some profiling techniques such as people in their 30s that are possibly pinnacle but unlikely. 

Like the guy in his early 20s looking like something that just spent 6 nights on the streets of NY on a formal night in the Suite Lounge.  There is after all a dress code suggestion.  I'm guessing it wasn't a pinnacle doing their best impression of a barefoot homeless person while everyone else was at least wearing long pants (and shoes). 

8 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I wouldn't wear a pin if I was Pinnacle but that's just me.  Seems tacky. 

Oh but they do, right out in front where everyone can see them.

My diamond is about the size of a dime, as was all previous pins, I have not gotten my D+ so I'm not sure if they are the same or not, but the Pinnacle is about the size of a quarter and has Ruby's mounted on it, I don't know if these change with different levels or not.

The stone on my Diamond pin you have to have a magnifying glass to see it.

And I agree with Matt, the attitude from the staff and the ships officers is completely different for Pinnacle verses other levels at the top tier events. On some sailings the officers and the Pinnacle are on a first name bases...

15 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I wouldn't wear a pin if I was Pinnacle but that's just me.  Seems tacky. 

I agree completely.   Generally speaking Pinnacles are (mostly) older people.  That's not to say there aren't younger pinnacles, but generally speaking they tend to look closer to retirement age and many of them love to wear that pin (and some do try to abuse it).  Most of them are the quiet older couple just enjoying each other's company in the corner.

That mid 30s entitled couple with a toddler watching cartoons on an iPad at full volume so the parents can drink in the Suite Lounge? - I may be wrong but I'm guessing they weren't pinnacles. 

We are not D+ or Pinnacle, but a few years ago we met a couple at muster around our age, early 50s.  Hit it off immediately  Great people.  Saw them later at Sabor sporting their Pinnacle pins.  We teased them about it.  They say they try not to wear them but staff actually instructs them to when they recognize them and see they don't have them on.  They don't want to wear them just because of the stereotype of Pinnacles 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

D+ folks shouldn't be painted with your same brush.  They do not after all have access to the Suite Lounge.

On these same lines, do you think too that folks who use casino rates to slip into suites should be banned as well? 

Nope. You don’t exactly “slip in” with the casino rate. To get a significant discount on a suite you need to spend ALOT of money in the casino! We’re not talking penny slots. Apples and oranges.