Online Check in

The first person you will be greeted by when arriving at the cruise terminal is someone trying to direct you to the proper security lane.  They will ask to see your SetSail Pass so they can point you to the correct line.

The second person you will meet is the security person.  They will ask to see your passport and SetSail Pass, similar to going through TSA security at the airport.

The next person will be someone trying to direct you to the proper check-in line.  They will ask to see your SetSail Pass in order to point you to the proper line based on your Crown & Anchor status, Suite guest, etc.

The next person will be the check-in person behind the counter.  If you don't have your SetSail Pass I suppose they can help you fill out the paperwork at that point.  However by that time you have already met at least two other people who need to see your SetSail Pass in order to help you, and a security person who needs to ensure you have the proper documentation (similar to TSA at the airport).

Do yourself a favor and check in online and print out your SetSail pass.  Your experience on embarkation day will be much less stressful.

Definitely online-check in. Just do a selfie against a plain color wall--get that to a computer somehow and then upload. 

I would recommended to use a good printer with full-ink (color or b&w) and that your SetSail Pass barcode is clear. They had an issue with scanning mine (due to ink) --and they had to print me out another...which took some precious time.

Also from personal experience...if you decide last minute at the Port that you want to change the credit card you want to use attached to the SeaPass card----it's better to do that at Guest Services on the ship (when it's not busy) rather than the check-in desk.

Thank you for your reply!! I have another newbie question.  I have done “on-line check in” without pictures so far.  where is luggage tug ??  Some one mention that luggage tug must printed out. I can’t find ... Would you help me ?!

18 minutes ago, J. Woody said:

Thank you for your reply!! I have another newbie question.  I have done “on-line check in” without pictures so far.  where is luggage tug ??  Some one mention that luggage tug must printed out. I can’t find ... Would you help me ?!

About 45 days before your cruise, after you've completed the online check-in, you'll receive an email with final cruise documentation (usually a link to a PDF document, or the PDF may be directly attached in the email). Towards the end of that document will be a page with printable luggage tags that specify your cabin number, ship section (color coded), and a few other bits of information. You need to print these out and attach them to your luggage before you get to the port, as the porters and ship crew use these tags to know where to load the bags onto the ship, which storage area to hold them in for scanning, and ultimately where to take them for drop-off at the cabins.

Key thing to note is that these are separate from the luggage tags you use at the airport. If you're flying to the port, don't attach these ship-specific tags until after your flight is done and you're at the destination airport or your hotel (you did fly in the night before, right? ?). If you attach them before your flight, they may well get torn off by the airport staff so they don't get confused about which tag to read.

Also, since these are just paper printouts, you may want to invest in a set of tag holders. They give a much more secure attachment to your luggage and also protect the printed tag from getting torn or wet.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

About 45 days before your cruise, after you've completed the online check-in, you'll receive an email with final cruise documentation (usually a link to a PDF document, or the PDF may be directly attached in the email). Towards the end of that document will be a page with printable luggage tags that specify your cabin number, ship section (color coded), and a few other bits of information. You need to print these out and attach them to your luggage before you get to the port, as the porters and ship crew use these tags to know where to load the bags onto the ship, which storage area to hold them in for scanning, and ultimately where to take them for drop-off at the cabins.

Key thing to note is that these are separate from the luggage tags you use at the airport. If you're flying to the port, don't attach these ship-specific tags until after your flight is done and you're at the destination airport or your hotel (you did fly in the night before, right? ?). If you attach them before your flight, they may well get torn off by the airport staff so they don't get confused about which tag to read.

Also, since these are just paper printouts, you may want to invest in a set of tag holders. They give a much more secure attachment to your luggage and also protect the printed tag from getting torn or wet.

Thank you so much for explanation.  It is great help !!? Yes we fly in the night before.  We will stay Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise. Never been in Fort Lauderdale. Do you know this hotel ?? Some one??

8 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

We sailing on Radiance on 6/22. I have my SetSail pass but have not seen the spot or been requested to upload photos? We did submit passport numbers. Did I miss something?

Uploading photos is something currently limited to Quantum class ships and some of the Oasis class ships. All others just take your photo at the port terminal checkin desk.

1 hour ago, J. Woody said:

Thank you so much for explanation.  It is great help !!? Yes we fly in the night before.  We will stay Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise. Never been in Fort Lauderdale. Do you know this hotel ?? Some one??

Tagging @tonyfsu21, he lives there.  He can give you lots of info about Fort Lauderdale.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Uploading photos is something currently limited to Quantum class ships and some of the Oasis class ships. All others just take your photo at the port terminal checkin desk.

FYI, we sailed Adventure (Voyager class) out of Cape Liberty 2 weeks ago and had uploaded our pictures when we did the online check-in. That was not the case when we sailed her last year out of San Juan.

2 hours ago, Skid said:

FYI, we sailed Adventure (Voyager class) out of Cape Liberty 2 weeks ago and had uploaded our pictures when we did the online check-in. That was not the case when we sailed her last year out of San Juan.

Interesting. So maybe it has less to do with the specific ship class and more to do with the cruise port you’re leaving from.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 1:53 PM, J. Woody said:

I have stay at that hotel before..it's not a bad hotel...if memory serves me correctly the price for transport to port was $10 per person.

59 minutes ago, trarenee said:

Today is the 27th and my cruise leaves on the 30th and I FORGOT to do online check in. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? The agent told me he can't do it for me either. Does anyone have any advice to offer or am I stuck standing in line??? UUUggghhh!!!

@Galveston Steve @Lovetocruise2002 @JLMoran

Thanks!

You will be stuck standing in line.  It is a Homeland Security rule.    Good luck and have a fun cruise.

1 hour ago, trarenee said:

Today is the 27th and my cruise leaves on the 30th and I FORGOT to do online check in. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? The agent told me he can't do it for me either. Does anyone have any advice to offer or am I stuck standing in line??? UUUggghhh!!!

Thanks!

Hi,

Although I understand your dismay please realize that this will be just a blip on your entire cruise experience. There is so much expertise on this board I am sure that you will get plenty of advice. I would just arrive early to the port and let the staff guide you through the process. 

Happy cruising!!

1 hour ago, trarenee said:

Thanks!

Yes, I've heard of this before and as @melski94 said, you will just have to spend a bit more time at the check in counter.  Not a big deal.

19 hours ago, trarenee said:

Thanks!

There was a large group of us in July and ONE person didn't check in online. In under 10 minutes we were all on our way. Saying that- we were at port before 11am and there were no lines.

39 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

OK, so between that and Adventure also allowing upload, they must be expanding that feature. Function of the port of embarkation, or just part of Royal's IT changes I wonder?

Part of the streamlined check in process for all ships.  By EOY 2019 they'll all be like that. 

Boarding Enchantment I had my printed SetSail pass but I kept that in my pocket and flashed the app boarding pass everywhere just to see.  Outside, Security, Upstairs before check in queues, at check in.  No issues, just comments like "Oh, you have the app".  It was new to them and I was the odd ball (nothing new) but it worked.  

In this case the check in folks in Canaveral don't have cameras, ship security took my photo while stepping on to the ship.   

• 3 weeks later...

So checking in for Marnier and its giving me the option to do the photo thing......does this allow me to skip the whole waiting in line for the agent thing and just proceed right on board once I arrive at the terminal.

As I wont be arriving as early as I normally do at the terminal this time.....I would like to do everything I can to get on the ship as quickly as possible.

And if this is the case...how picky are they about the picture you upload to your sail pass?!

41 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

And if this is the case...how picky are they about the picture you upload to your sail pass?!

25 minutes ago, Susie said:

I was thinking of taking my picture for the pass. Now I just leave it blank then.

Not sure if you two are using the new app but I tried to do my Indy check in without uploading a pic (I usually don't and just let them take one at the port) and the new app would not let me continue without uploading a pic.  

I am not using the app...doing it online like old school way....lol..but it gives me the option to upload a pic from my computer...

I don't really care to do that...UNLESS I know its going to let me avoid lining up for the agents and just board the ship directly with my setsail pass and passport in hand?!

24 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I am not using the app...doing it online like old school way....lol..but it gives me the option to upload a pic from my computer...

That was the problem I also came across.  The app would not let me past the picture point so I tried to use my computer.  Same thing....I wonder if Mariner will have the same problem since it is also supported by the new app.

We've had mixed results with the photo.  One time we both got through without retaking our pix and the second time they retook both of ours.  I don't see it saving a lot of time even if they o not retake the photo.  I will probably not bother with it anymore unless the online checkin process is disrupted b/c I do not have a photo.  I have not had this happen yet.

Last yr on Anthem we tried to download our pics, but it would not take it.  My brother and sister in law were traveling and able to do it.  We traveled together to the port.   They entered a different line than us due to the fact they downloaded their pics.  We both got cleared the exact same time, even though they had to take both of our pics.  My brother laughed...soo much for saving time!  We laughed and hubby said YEP, bc your line was longer than ours since everybody downloaded their pics!