Sail in 3 days - cabin number still not assigned

We are due to sail on Harmony on Saturday and are still waiting on our cabin number to be assigned. We booked a GTY Junior Suite. For those that have booked a GTY in the past , have you ever waited this close to sailing date for your cabin number.

I haven't seen or heard of it being that late to be assigned..but I suppose that depending ion how full the ship is that you could only find out at time of check in at the peir?

Although...I would think they would need to print a room# off for your luggage tags etc for you to do the online check in that you are required to do.....

Someone here with more knowledge should be able to give you more....worst case is I would call to check and see what the status is....

We didn’t use an agent this time round & booked direct with Royal. We have checked in online but can’t print set sail passes & can only print blank luggage tags.

i think I’m going to have to call them today to see what they say. 

1 hour ago, MoBrien said:

Spoke to Royal and there is nothing available as of yet. He said we will have to wait until we are at port on Saturday for our cabin to be assigned

If it wasn't for that word "Guarantee" in the room category name, I'd be wigging out right now. At least you can 100% rest assured that you won't find yourself being told there is no room at all for you when you get to the terminal. Cruise ships, AFAIK, don't (can't?) intentionally oversell their cabins the way airlines oversell their seats, so there will definitely be *something* for you.

My complete SWAG on this, being a cynic and having seen enough threads here about how Royal is working harder and harder to maximize revenue -- they have indeed sold out all JS-level rooms, and they're in the process of offering upgrades to full suites to the non-GTY occupants and waiting on that to be settled out first. The goal being to gain some revenue from upgrade charges, rather than bumping you and other GTY-rate purchasers into a higher-category room at no extra charge. You'll still get your JS-level room, and maybe even get bumped after all if they don't get enough people taking upgrade offers, but Royal wants to get as much income out of the sailing as possible rather than leaving money on the table.

Spoke to Royal and there is nothing available as of yet. He said we will have to wait until we are at port on Saturday for our cabin to be assigned

I would be wiggin out right now especially coming all the way from Ireland, but I am keeping fingers crossed, you get UPGRADED!!

Thanks all for your replies. I did ring back and asked was there anything available for us to upgrade so we could get a cabin assigned but they said there was nothing available. Looks like we will just have to get to the port super early on Saturday morning. 

42 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I would be wiggin out right now especially coming all the way from Ireland, but I am keeping fingers crossed, you get UPGRADED!!

Yep I am indeed wiggin out. I like to be organised & this has me nervous.   Our first time booking a GTY room but that was all that was available in the suite class when we booked this in early April so we took a gamble with it. 

I will keep  ye all posted with what happens on Saturday

We have not  done a  guarantee room.  We have been tempted.  I now know that we certainly will never attempt that.  What are you supposed to do with your luggage when you get to the pier.  I would be on the phone asking for a supervisor and not dealing with one of the so called  agents that answers the phone.  I stopped dealing with them 4 years ago and we are so glad.  

42 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

We have not  done a  guarantee room.  We have been tempted.  I now know that we certainly will never attempt that.  What are you supposed to do with your luggage when you get to the pier.  I would be on the phone asking for a supervisor and not dealing with one of the so called  agents that answers the phone.  I stopped dealing with them 4 years ago and we are so glad.  

The porters are supposed to have a manifest, with the cabin numbers on the morning of the sail date so you will know your cabin number before check in.

I also have a XB-GTY reserved for June 30 and I don't know why but I have the feeling that something similar is going to happen to me. 

9 hours ago, J. Woody said:

I never see GTY rate before final payment.

My October 2018 Anthem cruise to Bermuda is showing GTY rooms for Jr. Suites, has had that for about a month now and it's still about 6 weeks away from final payment. That said, this is the first itinerary I've looked at that had any GTY rooms available.

I think it partly depends on how well a given sailing is filling up; they may only make GTY rooms available if the class hasn't sold well enough.

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I think it partly depends on how well a given sailing is filling up; they may only make GTY rooms available if the class hasn't sold well enough.

Not necessarily, although I don't understand the logic myself.  Up until a few months ago, I assumed that was the case too.  However, my March 2019 cruise on Harmony (should be a pretty popular sailing because it's March Break) there was a Star class GTY offered in January 2018!  The goes against that theory of not selling well enough as it is way before the sail date and there were no other star class cabins even available.  I don't understand how they decide these things....

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not necessarily, although I don't understand the logic myself.  Up until a few months ago, I assumed that was the case too.  However, my March 2019 cruise on Harmony (should be a pretty popular sailing because it's March Break) there was a Star class GTY offered in January 2018!  The goes against that theory of not selling well enough as it is way before the sail date and there were no other star class cabins even available.  I don't understand how they decide these things....

WOW !  Star Class GTY ?  I've never heard of that !  Any kind of reasonable discount ?

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

And the price was about $3400pp for 4 in a room.

SMH

I just can't wrap my head around spending the full price of a good used car, or half the price of a good new one, on a room that you will only be in for a week. Or to put it in cruise habit parlance -- that's 2, maybe even 3 Caribbean cruises in a pair of Ocean View Balcony rooms!

Just now, JLMoran said:

that's 2, maybe even 3 Caribbean cruises in a pair of Ocean View Balcony rooms!

Yes, I can see this part of the argument but someone (like me) who can't cruise that many times a year, then dumping lots into one cruise is no different than someone who takes multiple cruises per year.  See...I've got it all justified in my head. lol

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Well it was the 2BDR ATS GTY.  And the price was about $3400pp for 4 in a room.

57 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

SMH

I just can't wrap my head around spending the full price of a good used car, or half the price of a good new one, on a room that you will only be in for a week. Or to put it in cruise habit parlance -- that's 2, maybe even 3 Caribbean cruises in a pair of Ocean View Balcony rooms!

That price also includes a genie, complimentary dining at every specialty restaurant onboard, deluxe beverage package, gratuities, and internet. I would definitely do it for that price!

So the update is that we woke this morning from an email from Royal to find out we have been upgraded to a Crown Loft Suite. ??

WOW! That's a great upgrade! Congratulations & Bon Voyage!

that's a crazy and awesome upgrade!!!

unless I wanted a very specific room# for some reason(which I never would)..I would always book a GYT....for the better price and also for the chance you never know what you may get in turn.......defn paid off this time!