Cruising with daughter and friend

In August, we will be cruising with our daughter and a friend of hers from college, age 21.  Given that the friend is not a minor, is it necessary or advisable to ask the friend's parents for a letter stating that we can make medical decisions during the trip in the event of an emergency?  How is this usually handled?

If she is 21 at time of sailing you are good.  She is legally an adult and able to sail unaccompanied.  Details here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=309&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ)s

Just make sure she has the required documents (passport, original BC/DL, etc).  My kids at that age don't seem to think that stuff is important. 

In terms of medical power of attorney - I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that her parents cannot grant you power of attorney because she is now an adult,  She could grant you power of attorney to make medical decisions but that is her decision to make. 

Thank you.  That is what I thought, but then my wife asked if we needed a letter and got me to thinking... (always a dangerous thing...).  Yes Twangster, it was a bit of a struggle to have her get a passport.  Strangely, it was the parents that objected.   But all is good as long as she remembers to bring it.  

Have her write a letter allowing you to act on her behalf if something arises.  Make sure the letter or document  is notarized.  It will hopefully never have to be used.   She could also get a medical power of attorney form which also has to be notarized.  I would hope and pray they are sensible adults and not in need of any medical issues while on a cruise no less.   Worst case scenario without the letter her parents would be contacted should something happen.  At least with a letter of some nature you would be able to get immediate medical attention and not be stranded waiting to get  hold of a parent.  Having something notarized is required in most states. Check the state you live in.  If it does not need to have a notary seal it may require 2 signatures to prove that person wrote the document and or letter.   

Edited by fonemanbob
added info