2018 Hurricane Season - So it Begins...

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

I saw this yesterday too. It is really very early, hoping it's nothing, a lot of people on this blog cruising soon! 

We're all headed to Seattle and to Alaska.  (Theoretically) safe from hurricanes!

I just got a quote, $90 to cover the cruise fare.  I think I'll skip it and take my chances since it's just the two of us for a 3-nighter with no air travel involved.  I'm about 60 miles from the port, so if we get hit by a hurricane, so does Port Canaveral.  Royal will either cancel and refund if they can't sail or decide to sail anyway and I don't think we'll have a problem getting to the port if that happens. Frankly, I'd rather be on a cruise than hanging out in a house with no power in the aftermath of a storm.

We're assuming our own risk for not being able to make it due to unforeseen illness, injury or family emergency; but I can accept that gamble.

The only other thing I see in the policy I'm looking at that might make it worthwhile to me is the medical evacuation benefit since we'll be SCUBA diving, but we're going to get a policy specifically for divers which would cover anything dive-related, and I'm not sure we need the extra coverage that would only apply to non-diving-related emergencies.

25 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I had seen something last week that was showing a few disturbances forming........probably doesn't bode well for the actual hurricane season....

The "whole season" forecasts I've seen are predicting an above-average season, but less active than last year.  Hopefully we'll be spared anything major.  The Caribbean needs a break after Irma & Maria.

38 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

I just got a quote, $90 to cover the cruise fare.  I think I'll skip it and take my chances since it's just the two of us for a 3-nighter with no air travel involved.  I'm about 60 miles from the port, so if we get hit by a hurricane, so does Port Canaveral.  Royal will either cancel and refund if they can't sail or decide to sail anyway and I don't think we'll have a problem getting to the port if that happens. Frankly, I'd rather be on a cruise than hanging out in a house with no power in the aftermath of a storm.

We're assuming our own risk for not being able to make it due to unforeseen illness, injury or family emergency; but I can accept that gamble.

The only other thing I see in the policy I'm looking at that might make it worthwhile to me is the medical evacuation benefit since we'll be Scuba diving, but we're going to get a policy specifically for SCUBA divers which would cover anything dive-related, and I'm not sure we need the extra coverage that would only apply to non-diving-related emergencies.

90 seems a little high to me for a 3 day cruise I have a solo 5 day oct 1 on the brilliance cost me 29.00 through Royal I was on the majesty last sep as one of the hurricanes approached we came back to port Canaveral a day early we were all given one days fare onboard credit to our sea pass account which had to be used before we disembarked one day credit not on the total just the basic nightly cost a very small amount we were offered to stay on board and go with the crew out to sea to ride out the storm which I initially jumped on then the details came out the ship goes into emergency mode nothing onboard is open all remaining passengers would be herded into one wing of the ship in insides the  watertight doors would be closed to other areas we would receive 3 meals a day with the crew as we came closer to Canaveral the crew was stripping all the bars and deep cleaning preparing to close down and then we were told if the storm disabled Canaveral we would be put off at an alternate port which could possibly be new York or new jersey sooooo I decided to get off especially after several crew members said that it would get very rough out where they grouped with other ships to ride out the storm I had heard such horrors of land panic going on but found none of this except backed up traffic on 95 by Daytona caused by the never ending road improvement project I live right above Daytona 23 miles that is on 95 gas was available no problem you just had to know where to look we have a large truck stop 10 miles from my house all the gas anytime before and after I asked the mgr how he was getting gas he said he was a state priority and a personal priority the problem came after and during the storm power the heat and tropical humidity almost did us in 7 days to get it back which should have taken hours not days I live on a large circle street 2/3 of the houses had power and then there was combined with the poor decision making by FPL EXECUTIVES who thought they could anticipate where the storm was going they sent all there trucks to where the storm didn't go FEMA was the biggest joke of all waited for hours to get help filled out the forms only to be turned down flat because I had homeowners insurance which is a total joke also if the house isn't wrecked you get nothing period adjusters came out quickly took pictures and measurements and uploaded the info to the office I saw them do it I waited and waited and months later I get a call while I was on my way to my next cruise they tell me the thousands of dollars damage would not be fixed because there is a special catastrophic storm deductible that I had not met which no one I have spoken to has ever heard of I could not even get the 750.00 ac fan motor that burned up while FPLwas turning power back on just a word to the wise if faced with my situation DONT turn anything on for a few hours after restoration till the power stabilizes if I face this situation again I'm staying on the ship to many headaches in the aftermath

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

...and you said June-October might be a dry spell for you...I think not lol

I wanted my glass block on Symphony so I was avoiding any more cruises, but then I said "YOLO", so I booked enough cruises to still get my glass block on Symphony (plus one on Empress).

You know you cruise too much when...

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wanted my glass block on Symphony so I was avoiding any more cruises, but then I said "YOLO", so I booked enough cruises to still get my glass block on Symphony (plus one on Empress).

You know you cruise too much when...

I am in awe....and envious...?

That means lots of blogs and scopes right? ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

and you said June-October might be a dry spell for you...I think not lol

Honestly, did you really think @twangster was actually going to have a "dry spell"?? LOL, all because of a block of glass?? LOL.  That's what we need to do, tell our hubby's we need a glass block to keep up with @twangster therefore we need more cruises and genies!?

2 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

if I face this situation again I'm staying on the ship to many headaches in the aftermath

Geez that sounds like a nightmare!  I guess you might as well have stayed on the ship! I do hope this season spares everyone in Florida and the Caribbean (and us here in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast). Can wreak havoc as Superstorm Sandy did with us in NY at the time.

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Can wreak havoc as Superstorm Sandy did with us in NY at the time.

Although it was a few years ago now  - some people are still rebuilding. I live very close to the water and houses are still being rebuilt and raised.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Honestly, did you really think @twangster was actually going to have a "dry spell"?? LOL, all because of a block of glass?? LOL.  That's what we need to do, tell our hubby's we need a glass block to keep up with @twangster therefore we need more cruises and genies!?

There's no keeping up. I can't get time off and I can't work from the ship. Oh well, I can only live vicariously through @twangster

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Saw this alert pop up on my phone yesterday:

IMG_0363.jpg.cf28912a8c5070a3cf2d1fd44cf0e77f.jpg

From the National Hurricane Center:

two_atl_5d1.png.df3352ba3d4728984da20de6aef65f69.png

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

Remember folks buy travel insurance and stay flexible during hurricane season in case of itinerary changes. 

I know I'm a Geography nerd, but Invest 90L is not in the Caribbean as TMobile suggests.  It is in the Gulf of Mexico.  It's a lot like advertisments for Caribbean cruises to the Bahamas.  The Bahamas are in the Atlantic Ocean.

3 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

I know I'm a Geography nerd, but Invest 90L is not in the Caribbean as TMobile suggests.  It is in the Gulf of Mexico.  It's a lot like advertisments for Caribbean cruises to the Bahamas.  The Bahamas are in the Atlantic Ocean.

Where invest 90L was located in this screen shot as indicated by the "X" is considered the Caribbean.  In fact that body of water is the Caribbean Sea.  

Where invest 90L is projected to move in the future is the Gulf of Mexico as indicated by the hashed area.  

I can't speak for all cruise lines however Royal Caribbean does not market the Bahamas as Caribbean, they market those cruises as "Bahamas" distinct and separate from cruises that visit the Caribbean.

TMobile is just my phone carrier, they are not involved in the notification. 

rci destinations.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Garnet21 said:

I am taking a Western Caribbean cruise on Allure in 4 days.  A lot of people booked for that cruise are freaking out right now.  I refuse to worry!  

If you look at the forecast versus your route I suspect you won't be impacted very much by this system. 

I use an app called Windy.  You can select different layers such as clouds, wind, rain, etc. and you can move forward in time for a forecast.

By Monday as you are approaching Labadee invest90L looks like it will already be mostly through the Gulf and near the US coast.  By Thursday the Caribbean Sea looks pretty clear.

IMG_0368.thumb.jpg.cf727091cbb4865b847edfeacef76bf0.jpgIMG_0369.thumb.jpg.de4e5592c9f2f35b4b2480c13b3d5b03.jpg

EDIT - I'm surprised Allure is doing Western next week, thought it was doing Eastern.