Land vacation=Crazy Talk!

The wife enjoys cruising, but wants to try an All-inclusive resort for early May 2019. I know I know, but happy wife...happy life. We have never done one before so turning to you guys for suggestions. Prefer a destination that is not a stop Royal makes in the Western Caribbean since we have visited those places so many times. All adult a plus, but no a deal breaker since most kids in school until the end of May. 

We just got back from our timeshare resort down in Playa Del Carmen, we spend 2 weeks there every year and have a blast. The Resort is Royal Haciendas...we will also be down there again 4-18 May 19. If we didn't have family joining us next year we would invite you down.  If your interested in that area let me know and I can see what's available as other owners often rent out there suites, it would benefit you more to rent from them,  due to the AI price of $69.00 per person daily rate vs $99.00. 

28 minutes ago, Wilson said:

The wife enjoys cruising, but wants to try an All-inclusive resort for early May 2019. I know I know, but happy wife...happy life. We have never done one before so turning to you guys for suggestions. Prefer a destination that is not a stop Royal makes in the Western Caribbean since we have visited those places so many times. All adult a plus, but no a deal breaker since most kids in school until the end of May. 

I know you said not Western Caribbean, but we love Jewel Paradise Cove in Runaway Bay, Jamaica. Their beach is actually not the prettiest of the 3 Jewel properties there, but they are adults only and they include some excursions at no additional charge. They also have a great swim up pool bar! We are going there for a second time next month. Their service was amazing.

Moving east, our children stayed at Turtle Beach Resort in Barbados and they highly recommend it. One of our favorite beaches is Harbor Lights. Not sure if Turtle Beach is near there, but worth checking.

Both places I mentioned are truly all inclusive--meaning alcoholic drinks, gratuities, etc. They have their share of chair hogs also, but we actually never had a problem in that regard on the beach or at the pool.

As much as we love cruising, there is a lot to be said for land vacations where there is time to fully explore a place without being limited to just having a few hours there.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Land vacation???  What's that? ?

4 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Just do a land/sea combo!  I do it all the time. Best of both worlds !!

Love this idea, but the wife doesn't have as much vacation time as me and can't take two weeks in a row. The only exception will be when we do a land/sea combo in 2020. Hoping to do our first, and likely only, European vacation.

If you haven't been to Cabo San Lucas, give that a look. Beautiful area (I had to put together a "brochureware" site for them in one of my earliest web development gigs), and by all accounts it's really welcoming and friendly to Americans, with no crime or other troubles to worry about.

12 hours ago, Wilson said:

Love this idea, but the wife doesn't have as much vacation time as me and can't take two weeks in a row. The only exception will be when we do a land/sea combo in 2020. Hoping to do our first, and likely only, European vacation.

We did a 5 day pre-cruise land vacation before both of our European cruises and I would highly recommend it!

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Now you've reminded me of a George Carlin bit: "You'll receive an all-expense paid trip to... Dover, Delaware! Yes, Dover, Delaware, the city that means well!"

Now, don't be snappin on Delaware!!! I live here, it has beautiful beaches, fabulous restaurants, no longer pay NJ/NY taxes (like $14K down to $1700) and no Sales tax. I'm a great billboard for DE aren't I!! LOL, however, I think somehow @Wilson has someplace more exotic in mind.  Try Beaches in Turks and Caicos, some of the most beautiful water you will see! 

I've stayed at the Excellence El Carmen in DR and have some friends who have stayed at other properties (specifically, Playa Mujeres and Riviera Maya).  We all had great things to say about the Excellence brand.  I would go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have cruise vacations planned for the next two years! Adults only, great variety of food options (this is one of the things I like about cruising), great pools and service.  We had a swim up suite.  The room was fantastic, we had a hot tub in our room.  The spa was incredible.  Before your treatment, you spend about 45 minutes doing hydrotherapy, using steam, sauna, cold water, thalassotherapy pools, etc.  We then had a salt scrub, soak in a tub, and hour long massage.  After your treatment, you're led to this room with beds that sway gently and you drink champagne for as long as you'd like.  The treatment was only $250USD total and it lasted about 3 hours, so a great price.  Just thinking about it makes me want to cancel a cruise and go back... 

The only downside I saw to El Carmen was that it didn't have much of a beach area.  I prefer relaxing by a pool so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. 

The only other all inclusive I have to compare it to is Beaches resort in Turks & Caicos.  I would take Excellence over Beaches any day.  

23 hours ago, Wilson said:

As @Matt said, think about Costa Rica.  We have been to costa Rica 5 times on land trips to different parts of the country.  Love the country and the people.  If you want all inclusive try the Riu hotel in the Guanacaste region.  If you want open end travel, look at "All Around Costa Rica" travel guides.  

Want to see pictures?  Come see us in Allen.  ?

Royal Haciendas is a Resort that offers members the option to purchase AI, if your incline to do so, however they allow members to rent out there units or the resort will rent it out for you. When the Resort rents it out they include AI in the price.  You can go to any of the travel sites or to Royal Haciendas (Royal Resorts) website and rent from there. 

When we go there we like to visit Xcaret & Xplor parks. Telum is also close by.

http://www.xcaret.com/

http://www.tulum.com/reviews/top-tulum-tours/