Fort Lauderdale Airport Transportation

ADK

For our arrival this coming Friday we were planning to use our hotel's free airport shuttle. (We're overnighting before Harmony embarkation on Saturday.) But, recent comments/reviews are saying it's really unreliable. What are good backup options in case our ride never shows? We're a family of 4 with a lot of luggage! 

Just now, ADK said:

For our arrival this coming Friday we were planning to use our hotel's free airport shuttle. (We're overnighting before Harmony embarkation on Saturday.) But, recent comments/reviews are saying it's really unreliable. What are good backup options in case our ride never shows? We're a family of 4 with a lot of luggage! 

What hotel are you at?  I would either take a cab or uber/lyft.  Most of the FLL hotels are so close by.

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What hotel are you at?  I would either take a cab or uber/lyft.  Most of the FLL hotels are so close by.

Four Points - around Federal Hwy & 17th (apprx. 2.5 miles from airport). So I'm guessing due to all of the cruisers there are lots of cabs & Ubers  that have room for all of us and luggage?

7 minutes ago, ADK said:

Four Points - around Federal Hwy & 17th (apprx. 2.5 miles from airport). So I'm guessing due to all of the cruisers there are lots of cabs & Ubers  that have room for all of us and luggage?

If you can use Uber or Lyft, I would suggest that.  I have not had good experiences with cabs at FLL airport.  Most of them don't seem to want to take you such a short distance.  When we travel with our kids and used Lyft, we just got a Lyft Plus and there was plenty of space for us and luggage.  But yes, there are lots of cabs out there if you choose to do that.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you can use Uber or Lyft, I would suggest that.  I have not had good experiences with cabs at FLL airport.  Most of them don't seem to want to take you such a short distance.  When we travel with our kids and used Lyft, we just got a Lyft Plus and there was plenty of space for us and luggage.  But yes, there are lots of cabs out there if you choose to do that.

On Dec I took a cab from FLL airport to the cruise terminal , it was just me and the backpack (I drop my spouse before with the suitcases) somehow he charged me 20 $ , so yes , its better to take Uber which they can not play with the price. 

15 minutes ago, Traveler said:

On Dec I took a cab from FLL airport to the cruise terminal , it was just me and the backpack (I drop my spouse before with the suitcases) somehow he charged me 20 $ , so yes , its better to take Uber which they can not play with the price. 

Totally agree.  The cabs drivers at FLL always seem "shifty" to me.  The last time we were there in August, two of them stood there arguing because neither one wanted to take us (we were staying at the Renaissance so probably not worth their time).  Then another person in charge of the cab line told the one driver to take us and he disappeared into the terminal for over 5 minutes.  We were just left standing there.  When the person who was in charge asked us why we were still there we told them the driver had disappeared, she marched in, found him, and they both came out yelling at each other about how it wasn't his turn to take the next person.  Then he got into his car and didn't even bother asking if we needed help with our luggage, which we didn't but still...very awkward...Needless to say, we were not impressed at all.

Miami is bad like that too...I waited almost 2 hrs for the hotel free shuttle..it passed me by 2-3x....the last time I ran out in front of him to make him stop.....didn't speak English so it was a lost cause.....but from what I could figure out and from talking to others...he made a few stops along the airport gates and by the time it got to where I was it was full......I finally gave up and paid for a cab........over $20...

Best advise is to ALWAYS use Uber/Lyft....there are LOTS of them lined up right outside of the luggage doors when you walk out of FLL.

Just now, monctonguy said:

Best advise is to ALWAYS use Uber/Lyft....there are LOTS of them lined up right outside of the luggage doors when you walk out of FLL.

@monctonguy...I've noticed a few times now that you've said you always use Uber/Lyft.  Question...do you have a US plan with your cell provider or do you just pay the roaming charges as you go.  I don't have a US plan with Telus but they have travel packages.  Last time in March, I bought one so I could use Lyft but I don't know if it was worth it.  Thinking of taking my chances in July in Miami and just paying as I go with roaming charges.  But then afraid of what the total might be....

I'm not bothering with a wait for our hotel's free airport shuttle. They told me all you have to do is call them when you get luggage, and it's 10 minutes. I think that's over promising to under delivery.

I have used Uber/Lyft at that airport once, and the driver didn't know where the pick up location was -- it took a couple times to figure out he was at the upper level instead of at the baggage claim level . It's not to say you will have the same experience.

Next month, I am renting a car and going to the hotel from there. This will make it easier to watch the Harmony sailaway that afternoon and drive to a cool spot for dinner that evening. The next morning, I will take everyone to the port, drop them off, return the car and Uber/Lyft back to the port. I am using an off site rental agency and hope it's a good experience.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, ADK said:

So I'm guessing due to all of the cruisers there are lots of cabs & Ubers  that have room for all of us and luggage?

Both Uber/Lyft have an option for a bigger car or SUV.  Uber XL or Lyft Plus.

I've stayed at a number of hotel's and used their free airport shuttle.  Depending on time of day it might be worth trying, it is free. Just call the hotel and make sure you ask if you need to call when you are ready or does the shuttle run on a schedule.

@Lovetocruise2002..I used to be with Telus and did the travel packs...it was pricey before the "roam like home options".......but now I am with PC Mobile....half the price of the big 3...and it uses their towers...

When I travel I don't "buy" anything....rates are so cheap in the US...last trip down it was about $8 for 3 days of usage......and I texted and used data and phone calls etc......I did use WIFI whenever I could of course...but it was cheaper in the long run. I would check Telus website and see what their pay per use is...for very little usage it maybe cheaper than a travel pack!

@Lovetocruise2002

If you have an unlocked phone, I recommend Roam Mobility for US Voice/Text/Data plans.  They use T-Mobile towers.  Works great in Detroit area.  Their SIM cards are available at Petro Canada gas stations.  It works out to be about $5.58CAD(tax included) per day for unlimited talk/text and 500mb per day.  My phone has dual-sim so it very easy to transition from Bell to Roam Mobility.

I believe all carriers must unlock your phones at no charge upon your request in Canada now.   

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@monctonguy...I've noticed a few times now that you've said you always use Uber/Lyft.  Question...do you have a US plan with your cell provider or do you just pay the roaming charges as you go.  I don't have a US plan with Telus but they have travel packages.  Last time in March, I bought one so I could use Lyft but I don't know if it was worth it.  Thinking of taking my chances in July in Miami and just paying as I go with roaming charges.  But then afraid of what the total might be....

Most Canadian carriers have a roam like home plan that's $5 a day for the states 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, ADK said:

If you are worried about the luggage you can use Uber XL and it will be a larger vehicle that will fit the luggage no problem. It is slightly more expensive though.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:04 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am with Telus and I take my phone with me whenever i travel! I'm down in the states probably 2-3 times a month, i took it on a recent trip to China and on our last cruise to the Southern Caribbean. You can add US and/or International easy roam to most Telus plans for free and then you're charged a flat fee each day to access your Canadian plan abroad. For me it's $5/day CAD for the USA and $10/day CAD for international. It might be a bit more expensive than some of the options out there but its attached to my current plan so its easy and gives me peace of mind since i don't have to keep track of anything!

23 minutes ago, marymcpherson said:

I am with Telus and I take my phone with me whenever i travel! I'm down in the states probably 2-3 times a month, i took it on a recent trip to China and on our last cruise to the Southern Caribbean. You can add US and/or International easy roam to most Telus plans for free and then you're charged a flat fee each day to access your Canadian plan abroad. For me it's $5/day CAD for the USA and $10/day CAD for international. It might be a bit more expensive than some of the options out there but its attached to my current plan so its easy and gives me peace of mind since i don't have to keep track of anything!

That's what I did in March.  I got one of their packages, flat rate that included roam/text/calling within the US.  But I did not find it was worth it just to use Lyft.  Most hotels we stay at offer complimentary Wifi and then once we get on the ship we have VOOM.  However, I found that I really enjoyed the whole Lyft experience and would rather do that compared to finding a cab.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's what I did in March.  I got one of their packages, flat rate that included roam/text/calling within the US.  But I did not find it was worth it just to use Lyft.  Most hotels we stay at offer complimentary Wifi and then once we get on the ship we have VOOM.  However, I found that I really enjoyed the whole Lyft experience and would rather do that compared to finding a cab.

I'd look into adding the telus easy roam to your current telus plan, its a free option to add and you don't pay for it until you need to access your plan in a country outside of canada. So if you only needed it on the days you need to order a lyft/uber in the states (say on embarkation/debarkation day) you would only access easy roam on two days and it would be only $10 total. plus with easy roam you're paying the flat fee to access your canadian plan which is definitely better in terms of what you get than any of the telus travel packages they offer. 

I know for me my canadian telus plan is 12gb of data, unlimited calling and text so to pay $5/a day to access that is way better than buying one of the telus travel packages that is like 150 minutes, unlimited text and 500mb data for $30 (or whatever it is).

i'd say its definitely worth looking into, even if all you plan to do is use it for 2 days

6 minutes ago, marymcpherson said:

I'd look into adding the telus easy roam to your current telus plan, its a free option to add and you don't pay for it until you need to access your plan in a country outside of canada. So if you only needed it on the days you need to order a lyft/uber in the states (say on embarkation/debarkation day) you would only access easy roam on two days and it would be only $10 total. plus with easy roam you're paying the flat fee to access your canadian plan which is definitely better in terms of what you get than any of the telus travel packages they offer. 

I know for me my canadian telus plan is 12gb of data, unlimited calling and text so to pay $5/a day to access that is way better than buying one of the telus travel packages that is like 150 minutes, unlimited text and 500mb data for $30 (or whatever it is).

i'd say its definitely worth looking into, even if all you plan to do is use it for 2 days

Thanks!! Will definitely try this out for July!