Harmony of the Seas, Somewhat Live 5/19 -5/26

Hockeyman55

On 6/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, Matt said:

Lovely photos!

I need to consider doing more post-processing on my photos, but when I'm on a cruise....

giphy.gif

LOL ?

I get excited taking the photos and look forward to seeing the results so on a typical night we were back in our room 9-10pm ish and would work on a few then for an hour or so. Then wake up and do it all over again. Think I averaged 5 hours of sleep each night 

25 minutes ago, Hockeyman55 said:

LOL ?

I get excited taking the photos and look forward to seeing the results so on a typical night we were back in our room 9-10pm ish and would work on a few then for an hour or so. Then wake up and do it all over again. Think I averaged 5 hours of sleep each night 

Well the hard work and loss of sleep definitely paid off!  Your pics are beautiful!  

This blog is getting to be an expensive place to hangout. 

Since I'm going to Alaska in a few weeks I've picked up a Sony A7 III to see how it compares to my Nikon D750.  I blame @Hockeyman55 for this unexpected expense ?

The low light level performance of the Sony looks amazing and I like to do low light photography.  Nikon is threatening to release a mirrorless system next year but they have the legacy baggage of a million Nikkor lenses that Nikon enthusiast keep in their closet.  The reality is a mirrorless system calls for a new approach to a lens mount.  No doubt in my mind Nikon's first attempt will be super expensive with the impossible challenge they face of appeasing a vested user base with a million lenses. 

Since a switch to mirrorless will likely call for new lenses to do it properly, my investment in Nikkor lenses becomes somewhat a moot point.  Enter eBay. 

Between an Alaska cruise in June and a Cuba cruise late July I'll have some cruise photo ops to help me decide which one ends up on eBay.  Unfortunately that means slugging both around until then.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, twangster said:

This blog is getting to be an expensive place to hangout. 

Since I'm going to Alaska in a few weeks I've picked up a Sony A7 III to see how it compares to my Nikon D750.  I blame @Hockeyman55 for this unexpected expense ?

The low light level performance of the Sony looks amazing and I like to do low light photography.  Nikon is threatening to release a mirrorless system next year but they have the legacy baggage of a million Nikkor lenses that Nikon enthusiast keep in their closet.  The reality is a mirrorless system calls for a new approach to a lens mount.  No doubt in my mind Nikon's first attempt will be super expensive with the impossible challenge they face of appeasing a vested user base with a million lenses. 

Since a switch to mirrorless will likely call for new lenses to do it properly, my investment in Nikkor lenses becomes somewhat a moot point.  Enter eBay. 

Between an Alaska cruise in June and a Cuba cruise late July I'll have some cruise photo ops to help me decide which one ends up on eBay.  Unfortunately that means slugging both around until then.

I am a bad influence for sure ? Enjoy the new gear, look forward to seeing your pictures.

Ok, we need a used camera gear marketplace section. And just a cruise photos section. Don't put your Nikon stuff on ebay before checking with the group first twangster! I use a d7200 with 18-140 lens and the new 10-20. Before september cruise I would like to pickup a 35mm 1.8 DX for the low light shots and the new 70-300 AF-P DX. All of which will be useless if I ever move up to an FX like your d750 though. I do wish my d7200 had facial recognition like the d750 though.

1 hour ago, Jason.H. said:

Ok, we need a used camera gear marketplace section. And just a cruise photos section. Don't put your Nikon stuff on ebay before checking with the group first twangster! I use a d7200 with 18-140 lens and the new 10-20. Before september cruise I would like to pickup a 35mm 1.8 DX for the low light shots and the new 70-300 AF-P DX. All of which will be useless if I ever move up to an FX like your d750 though. I do wish my d7200 had facial recognition like the d750 though.

The D7200 is a respectable camera for sure.  If you pick your lenses carefully you may be able to start acquiring FX lenses that can be used at crop factors.  This somewhat future proofs your lens investment.   The Nikkor 20mm f1.8 I may sell on eBay is ~30mm on a DX and it is a sharp lens.

Full frame opened a world to me in terms of landscape and ultra wide photography.  My next body may be a crop sensor to give my 70-300 full frame lens a boost to 450mm on crop.  That's cheaper than buying a full frame telephoto to get me there.  The beauty of two bodies, one crop, one FF is not having to take the lens off and exposing the guts to the humidity of the Caribbean on a cruise.  I was starting to look at a crop body but something went haywire in my brain and I switched to Sony.  Waiting to see what the evolution of the Sony A6500 crop may be.

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, Sweety said:

I have a Blackhawk jersey that they created for Michael Jordan. It has Jordan on the back and number 23. Everytime I wear it, people want to buy it. 

I'm a Blues fan and even I would want to buy that lol.

Not to wear of course :10_wink:. Can't let the Blackhawk colors touch my skin, it burns. BUT, that'd be a cool piece to frame.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:01 AM, Hockeyman55 said:

Things we would have done differently 

Packed less, we severely over packed. Being our first family cruise we didn't know how much to bring and really could have brought less. 

Sign up for my time dining. I selected the 5:30 dining time and only made it to one meal at that time. Next time will def do the my time dining. 

I was on Allure a little over a year ago, and had the same overpacking problem! Probably packed twice as much stuff as I actually ended up needing. Heading out on Harmony later this year, and for sure will be packing less!

Also did My Time Dining on Allure (it was actually the only option when I booked) which was GREAT. Would highly recommend it, especially on the Oasis class. With so much to do, and so many shows, it's great to be able to schedule dinner around the rest of your plans! Picked My Time again for Harmony this year. 

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In the cruise planner, it says 50min.

Kinda off topic....but is anyone else having a problem accessing the Cruise Compass links here?..I have tried using IE and Chrome and cant open any of the Compass's...I can see the list and click on the date but then  there is nothing there to view..

13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Kinda off topic....but is anyone else having a problem accessing the Cruise Compass links here?..I have tried using IE and Chrome and cant open any of the Compass's...I can see the list and click on the date but then  there is nothing there to view..

Working for me.  Phone or laptop.

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I use Chrome and I can see them all.