What I wish I'd known before taking a Royal Caribbean cruise!

Matt

I wish I found this site before my last cruise. So many things changed in between then and my first cruise. I was surprised at what wasn't included anymore. I didn't know about the gratuities not being automatically added to my bill (I replaced someone and their preferences were to pay gratuity daily). I wish I knew about the cruise planner sales and how everything, for the most part is affordable but you need to be aware.

17 hours ago, SouthernYankee said:

That was a very insightful video that touched on so many of the numerous features and options that Royal Caribbean has to offer.  Nicely done and I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the kind words and even happier you found the video helpful!

Watched this last night on my TV.  I will be taking my first RCI cruise in August and this gave me several things to consider as we plan.  For example, great info on the Voom service in that we COULD actually just buy for one device and share the username/password (realizing only one person could be on at a time).  Didn't realize that was an option.    Good info on the drink packages as well.

Stateroom question - will staterooms  become available for a potential switch as I get closer to the cruise date (people who booked a refundable fare perhaps change their mind)?  

57 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

will staterooms  become available for a potential switch as I get closer to the cruise date (people who booked a refundable fare perhaps change their mind)?  

Very possibly.  Right around the 90 day mark, when final payment is due, some will cancel.  As long as you do not switch cabin categories you can change without penalty (assuming you booked under US rules).  If you decide to change cabin categories (upgrade), your booking will essentially be cancelled and you would rebook the new category using whatever prevailing rate and booking perks are in effect. GENERALLY, it is not going to be to your advantage to change cabin categories that far down the line (of course, there are ALWAYS rare exceptions) but staying within the same category and just changing cabin locations should not be a problem and is fairly common.

Good luck !!

4 hours ago, RaleighTrout said:

Watched this last night on my TV.  I will be taking my first RCI cruise in August and this gave me several things to consider as we plan.  For example, great info on the Voom service in that we COULD actually just buy for one device and share the username/password (realizing only one person could be on at a time).  Didn't realize that was an option.    Good info on the drink packages as well.

It is really gratifying to hear you found this helpful.  It makes the many hours of video editing worth it!

• Matt featured this topic

Matt, I appreciate this blog and all you and others do to maintain it.  I wish I had discovered it before I made my cruise plans.  Most likely would have ended up same result, but there is tons of useful info here, especially for newbies to RCI.    I'm not a newbie to cruising (Disney Dream in 2013 to Bahamas - but my Mom arranged all that), but am a newbie to planning and buying a cruise on my own, and this has been helpful.    

I do wonder how many people are "boxed-in" somewhat on cruise ship choice due to location.  Do most people fly to a cruise port or drive?  I needed one that was driveable from NC (10 hours or less).  Didn't have budget this year to fly since last year was a flight-heavy vacation.  

Again, thanks to you and to the contributors here for all the great info. 

33 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

I do wonder how many people are "boxed-in" somewhat on cruise ship choice due to location.  Do most people fly to a cruise port or drive?

That's a good question.  There's no doubt having a cruise ship close enough to drive probably sways a lot of people's decision, if for no other reason than cost (no airfare).  

31 minutes ago, function12 said:

Great video!!  Makes me want to book another cruise.

Thanks so much!

41 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

Matt, I appreciate this blog and all you and others do to maintain it.  I wish I had discovered it before I made my cruise plans.  Most likely would have ended up same result, but there is tons of useful info here, especially for newbies to RCI.    I'm not a newbie to cruising (Disney Dream in 2013 to Bahamas - but my Mom arranged all that), but am a newbie to planning and buying a cruise on my own, and this has been helpful.    

I do wonder how many people are "boxed-in" somewhat on cruise ship choice due to location.  Do most people fly to a cruise port or drive?  I needed one that was driveable from NC (10 hours or less).  Didn't have budget this year to fly since last year was a flight-heavy vacation.  

Again, thanks to you and to the contributors here for all the great info. 

We always fly.  I use a Delta Air Lines AmEx for everything so that I can use points for flights.  I had enough points for our flights for our Oasis cruise last summer and our (Alaska cruise) Vancouver/Anchorage flights this summer.  If we were to drive to Orlando it would be 16 hours or fly it in 2 hours.  Plus, having our own business, it's hard to gone the extra time just to be driving.  That said, I get my flights early when they are usually the cheapest.

1 hour ago, RaleighTrout said:

I'm in NY so there is a convenient port nearby but I'd prefer not to leave from up north because of the amount of sea days an the general rockiness of the ship (my first cruise left from NJ). I'll fly to Puerto Rico if the price is right. My next cruise is in Florida which is acceptable but again price factors in - leaving a day a head of time, hotel, etc. The other ports are so far not a thought because of their locations and ports.

18 hours ago, ellcee said:

I'm in NY so there is a convenient port nearby but I'd prefer not to leave from up north because of the amount of sea days an the general rockiness of the ship (my first cruise left from NJ).

You're definitely not alone in that school of thought.  It's somewhat limiting in terms of itineraries compared to a cruise out of Florida too.  Still, convenience to a port of driving is a strong factor. I think ultimately any cruise fan that cruises often will likely get a mix of both.

Watched this just now on my TV. What would I do differently?  Book an earlier cruise so I didn't have to wait til next year! ?

In all seriousness, I'll be watching for cruise planner sales, and noting the prices of my preferred shore excursions, so I can cancel and re-book if a cheaper price presents itself.

Great video - thanks!