Tour Conductor (TC)

I am slowly becoming what some may call a Cruise Nerd.  I have the fever and I am constantly looking for a cruise bargain with RCCL.  I just reached Platinum Level (WooHoo!!!)

To the point:  A few months ago I convinced 15 of my family members to go on a cruise in August for a total of 17 people with 8 cabins.  I recently learned about something called Tour Conductor(TC).  Apparently, if you book a group with 8 Cabins or more you receive a room credit for a free room equivalent to the average cost of the rooms booked.   

Can Anyone Please tell me how this works? 

I did some research that seems to conflict what my travel agent is telling me.

Booking is for 17 people, 8 cabins, from Port Canaveral, 13 August 2018, 5 days.

Thank you

Warning, math ahead!

Basically, if you are the leader of the group, you will get money/credit (referred to as TC) for every group of bookings.  

You have to have a group declared with RC's groups department and assign you as the group leader.  Everyone has to book into that group.

The exact amount depends on the ship and sail date. RC assigns different value depending on how in demand (or not) a particular sailing is).

My advice is work with a travel agent.  That way, you get the TC while the agent services the reservations and gets their commission.  It greatly simplifies things and then you can work with the agent to coordinate the efforts.  Inevitably, there are going to be a lot of questions.

Also be aware:

You have to form the group before you book ... if you already have individual reservations you do not get the group booking benefits.

The group rates are not the same as the individual rates ... I put together a group for work (thanks Boss) and we actually ended up paying MORE than the regular rates since we weren't able to take advantage of repricings, OBC offers, etc. We probably could have by cancelling and starting over but after dozens of hours spent getting it all organized it wasn't worth the hassle.

Overall I don't think it was worth the time and effort of forming a group to get the benefits we have received, maybe after we take the cruise next month I will think differently but it would have been a whole lot easier just to book all the rooms individually.