Unauthorised dining time switch

When calling for a re-pricing, has anyone had their dining time for the MDR switched without authorisation?

This is exactly what happened to me. I received $400 off a booking and discovered two days later that my dining time was changed from 6pm to 8:30pm. When I called I was told that this happened because there was no availability at 6pm when I re-booked and I would have to go on the waitlist. Strange, since the re-booking occurred almost instantly.

Worse still, when I emailed reservations to correct what I perceive to be a RCI error, I was informed that my original booking had a dining time of 8:30pm. I forwarded my original invoice, showing dining time of 6pm, and was then told that I was misinterpreting the invoice (I am 100% certain I am not).  Seems to me like they are trying to shift the blame onto me at this stage.

I was also told that the 6pm dining time was not available when I made my original booking. Strange, since I made my booking literally the day that the sailings were released in May 2017. Everything was available, including my choice of staterooms!

So I'm either being lied to, or dealing with an incompetent individual. Has anyone had a similar experience when re-pricing?  It's almost not worth saving $400 at this point.

12 hours ago, Matt said:

I assume when you re-priced your cruise you were doing this on your own (in lieu of using a travel agent)?

I agree with @jticarruthers that you should call back and see if your luck changes.  Worst case, ask to be put on a waitlist.  It will likely come through.

Yes, I booked myself. Never again.

I've escalated my problem higher up the chain. We are also on the waitlist but I don't like my chances to be honest. We'll see.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:56 PM, jticarruthers said:

Call back and try talking to someone else, frequently with Royal if you keep calling you will eventually find someone who fixes the problem even if everyone else has sworn the problem cannot be fixed (or doesn't need to be fixed since it isn't a problem but a feature).

I had to email somebody from a different department (Guest Relations) in the end, as I was getting nowhere with the Reservations person I was dealing with. I forwarded all correspondence, explained the situation and within a week I had received an apology, admission of error and had my MDR dining time placed back to 6pm, as originally booked. It was quite the ordeal.

Takeaway lessons:

1. Use a TA

2. See point 1.

3. When an error has been made, complain, complain, complain and do not take No for an answer if you know you are in the right.

4. See point 1 again.