ragenx

Drink prices Going up 40%

Well they are offering that promo right now, but you have to call to get the deal.

Doesn't help us solo travellers at all. We miss out on any breaks.

As for servers complaining about not making enough because of drink packages. While they maybe getting another 3% now on them, I have a feeling they are going to lose more than that on the single drinks people aren't going to be buying and tipping on.

Well they are offering that promo right now, but you have to call to get the deal.

They are? Any idea what the stipulations are? Like a 7-day or longer cruise?

UPDATE: They have BOGOHO, but it's for 5 nights or longer. :-( I have a 4-night in August

As for servers complaining about not making enough because of drink packages. While they maybe getting another 3% now on them, I have a feeling they are going to lose more than that on the single drinks people aren't going to be buying and tipping on.

You pretty much summed up what I was thinking as well. For those who go with the drink package BECAUSE of the higher single price, again the servers didn't like the packages supposedly. If that is the true motivation behind the hike it would seem like a lose/lose for them and by proxy the cruiser.

with the cruise where the prices spiked, there were really good specials for 2-3 weeks in the leadup, so there were a lot of people onboard that had only paid around $58/night.

my thought is that the price hike was to help make up that shortfall.

I miss the old drink menus. I don't like the new menus that only have one page of drink suggestions and there are no longer prices listed on the menus.

(Some menus did have prices listed, but they were replacing them during my cruise last week with new menus that had the prices removed.)

Base prices for most of the listed drinks were $10, and in some venues, they had a different list of drinks and those were $12.

I think the only reason they are raising prices is people have to be buying this, otherwise they would

be doing something else- and giving it away for 1/2 off or free like Celebrity is doing right now

encourages people to try it, then get hooked on it -  would rather have my cruise prices for less overall

While I agree in principle and recognize that RCI is a publicly traded company compelled to make a profit, there's a point where gouging customers becomes akin to exploitation especially if they're going to limit my ability to bring on soda and water. They and other cruise lines are responsible for the current model that relies on onboard revenue for a good part of a heir profits, one thing Disney Cruise Line does not rely on.

As a non/minimal drinker, this really doesn't affect me but I does affect those who really wouldn't value from the drink package.

I am sure they are going to try this for awhile and see what happens. If people are willing to pay that for single drinks, it won't change.

As long as I still feel I am getting my money's worth with the drink package I am fine.

What really hurts me now is the exchange rate(not RCI"s fault) so that on top of the price increases they have brought in, i now need to add close to 30% exchange...which means pretty soon the drink package will be costing closer to $100/day for me!

Prices were $12 for most drinks on Jewel last week, 5 port days out of 6 on top of that.

Did most of my drinking on land and it was ok but the couple of times we bought a round of drinks I just about fell out of my chair. Really hard to tip extra when you feel like you need to setup a mortgage everytime you buy a round.

I dunno, I'd call 12 too high when compared to land based bars you pay about 7 around here for your average mixed drink. At the old price it was just slightly above what you'd pay any day, now its about 75-80% higher? I still maintain that vacation inflation has its limits.

I dunno, I'd call 12 too high when compared to land based bars you pay about 7 around here for your average mixed drink. At the old price it was just slightly above what you'd pay any day, now its about 75-80% higher? I still maintain that vacation inflation has its limits.

I agree also - i have chosen to book future cruises with competitors because i could no longer justify the loyalty cost. RCI is simply letting greed for profit to overshadow customer satisfaction. In the past 12 months we have cruised 3x and have 3x future booked - sadly none are RCI. If enough people choose competitors they may get the message. Drinks on one of our new cruise lines for example are $85 +15% Gratuity for book of 18 drinks, thats about $4.75 a pop. If you continue to Pay $12 prices will continue to go up. We were just on Serenade Last mo. (Booked a yr ago) noticed that trying to find a cocktail waiter poolside even on sea day was like trying to find RTwheresWaldo - if you buy the drink package it was a self serve bar. Stop paying $12 a drink!