LIFEBOAT STATIONS

For a number of years, WAAAYTOOO and I (RCL_Cruiser_Dan) have had a running joke...when we look at a lifeboat, there are rope loops all of the way around the outside of each lifeboat; I usually laugh and point to one of these loops, telling her that this is her Life Boat Station...does anyone know if the outside loops on lifeboats are used in the lifeboat to passenger ratio count?

lifeboat-ns.jpg

This is what I found, notice it says carried in... 

The cubical contents and number of persons allowed to be carried in each lifeboat must be plainly marked or painted on each side of the bow of the lifeboat in letters and numbers not less than 1 1/2 inches high. In addition, the number of persons allowed must be plainly marked or painted on top of at least 2 thwarts in letters and numbers not less than 3 inches high.

27 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Welcome to the blog, Dan.  It took long enough !!

??

I took all those cruises to...hey, you've got a monkey on your back WAAAYTOOO!  LOL.

Upcoming cruises
Grandeur - June 30, 2018, Grandeur - October 6, 2018, Grandeur - December 22, 2018, Jewel - March 13, 2019, Grandeur - September 5, 2019

Past cruises
Carnival Fantasy - October 2000, NCL Sun - December 2002, Grandeur - December 2007, Carnival Victory - October 2008, Adventure - December 2008, Carnival Triumph - May 2009, Liberty - December 2009, Grandeur - April 2010, Allure - December 2010, Radiance - December 2010, Radiance - April 2011, Oasis - September 2011, Jewel - November 2011, Serenade- December 2011, Jewel - May 2012, Freedom - September 2012, Jewel - December 2012, NCL Epic - February 2013, Grandeur - August 2013, NCL Dawn - December 2013, Adventure- December 2013, Navigator - May 2014, Explorer - November 2014, Oasis - January 2015, Freedom - May 2015, Liberty
 - October 2015, Allure - February 2016, Freedom - June 2016, Navigator - December 2016, Harmony - February 2017, Grandeur - May 2017, Grandeur - September 2017, Harmony - September 2017, Allure - November 2017, Allure - April 2018

IMG_0711.JPG

2 minutes ago, RCL_Cruiser_Dan said:

I took all those cruises to...hey, you've got a monkey on your back WAAAYTOOO!  LOL.

Upcoming cruises
Grandeur - June 30, 2018, Grandeur - October 6, 2018, Grandeur - December 22, 2018, Jewel - March 13, 2019, Grandeur - September 5, 2019

Past cruises
Carnival Fantasy - October 2000, NCL Sun - December 2002, Grandeur - December 2007, Carnival Victory - October 2008, Adventure - December 2008, Carnival Triumph - May 2009, Liberty - December 2009, Grandeur - April 2010, Allure - December 2010, Radiance - December 2010, Radiance - April 2011, Oasis - September 2011, Jewel - November 2011, Serenade- December 2011, Jewel - May 2012, Freedom - September 2012, Jewel - December 2012, NCL Epic - February 2013, Grandeur - August 2013, NCL Dawn - December 2013, Adventure- December 2013, Navigator - May 2014, Explorer - November 2014, Oasis - January 2015, Freedom - May 2015, Liberty
 - October 2015, Allure - February 2016, Freedom - June 2016, Navigator - December 2016, Harmony - February 2017, Grandeur - May 2017, Grandeur - September 2017, Harmony - September 2017, Allure - November 2017, Allure - April 2018

IMG_0711.JPG

Hey...that one on my right shoulder looks like he's throwing you a kiss, Danno.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have 14!  What is that?  Eternity? lol  Feels like it.

Only 14?!? What's retirement age in Canada?

I've got 16 years, 7 months, and 12 days to go if I have to go all the way to age 65. If I find a way to swing it at 59 1/2, then I'm looking at another 11 years, 2 months, and 12 days. Not that I've been counting for a while now or anything... ?

1 hour ago, RCL_Cruiser_Dan said:

Upcoming cruises

Welcome Dan!  Just got off the Grandeur yesterday and I see you are all booked up with her! She's in great shape!! @WAAAYTOOO always told me that! I see you and Raye are friends! Welcome!!

16 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Not that I've been counting for a while now or anything... ?

You've been counting too much lol!

I've been teaching since I was 21, no joke.  By the time I am eligible to retire, I will have put in 32 years into teaching.  That is enough.  I will not be hanging around the classroom until 65.

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

2 years seems like an eternity !  I'm soooo ready - NOW !  Beltway life is misery and I can't wait to get out of it.

That's rubbing it in for @JLMoran and I who do have eternity! lol

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I see you and Raye are friends! Welcome!!

Umm.. small chance that I'm wrong, but I would say they are more than friends! 

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I've been teaching since I was 21, no joke.  By the time I am eligible to retire, I will have put in 32 years into teaching.  That is enough.  I will not be hanging around the classroom until 65.

Sincere thanks for the time and effort you've put in to educate all the thousands of children who will have come through your class in that time!

I keep debating whether to semi-retire around age 55 when the kids should be done with college, and get a job teaching computer science at a local college or community college. But now I've got the cruise bug, and I kind of want the freedom to book at any time I want, since I'll finally be at an age that family cruises won't have to be held slave to the school schedule! ?

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Sincere thanks for the time and effort you've put in to educate all the thousands of children who will have come through your class in that time!

I keep debating whether to semi-retire around age 55 when the kids should be done with college, and get a job teaching computer science at a local college or community college. But now I've got the cruise bug, and I kind of want the freedom to book at any time I want, since I'll finally be at an age that family cruises won't have to be held slave to the school schedule! ?

I've already calculated it all for myself.  In 14 years both my kids should be done with university (and if they are not they will have to figure it out on their own lol), hubby will semi-retire because he loves his job too much to go but he has total flexibility with time off.  We will hopefully still have our good health at that point and then we have Panama Canal and Australia cruises to check off the bucket list.  I am totally hijacking threads today.  Apologies @RCL_Cruiser_Dan

16 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

2 years seems like an eternity !  I'm soooo ready - NOW !  Beltway life is misery and I can't wait to get out of it.

6 months to forced retirement.  After 32 years getting kicked out, they want me to move to Illinois.  I'd only needed  2 more years there but the cost would out weigh the benefit.  So after working almost 50 years, I've had enough.  Guess its time to give up the balcony and move to an inside room by the prop.  

20 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I've been teaching since I was 21, no joke.  By the time I am eligible to retire, I will have put in 32 years into teaching.  That is enough.  I will not be hanging around 

My husband will be teaching every minute til 65.... when you teach in illinois, better get a lot of years in!  I teach preschool but I'm not sure I will be able to keep up with the little ones another 15!  Jane

3 hours ago, arebee said:

6 months to forced retirement.  After 32 years getting kicked out, they want me to move to Illinois.  I'd only needed  2 more years there but the cost would out weigh the benefit.  So after working almost 50 years, I've had enough.  Guess its time to give up the balcony and move to an inside room by the prop.  

Stay where it's warm!   Illinois had been cold and wet ! Jane 

Sorry I'm late @KLAconQueso, I just got the bat-signal. 

International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Chapter III (Lifesaving Appliances and Arrangements) states that "[fully enclosed lifeboats]...shall have ropes along the side shell that allow to circulate on the outside of the boat and help people to embark and disembark"

The number of loops, length, etc has nothing to do with the capacity of the lifeboat and in fact, despite many details in SOLAS, I'm not aware of any other requirements around those ropes unless it has come in a more recent revision of SOLAS.  If anyone is looking for more random lifeboat requirements, I just so happen to have something to quench your curiosity.

Ladies and gentleman next time you are on  a cruise  walk around the  the deck and count the number of  lifeboats  multiply their capacity  times the number of life boats and then find out the ships capacity.   You may be surprised at the outcome.  Oh by the way retirement is what ever you make it.  I am looking forward to going back to full time employment this fall after 7 surgeries the past 6 years.  None were serious tho.  I told my wife and sisters last fall that age is only a number, and I am going to write a book titled Born To Never Retire.   Over 40 percent of retired people  go back to work full time.   And last the loops on the life boat are so if you are not in it you can slide your arm thru the loop and hang on to the boat.   Dan welcome to the BLOG.   I have found this blog to be beyond helpful and at times very entertaining.  

37 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Ladies and gentleman next time you are on  a cruise  walk around the  the deck and count the number of  lifeboats  multiply their capacity  times the number of life boats and then find out the ships capacity.   You may be surprised at the outcome.

Not quite sure which way this was intended to be interpreted -- surprised at how much extra capacity there actually is or surprised to find the visible lifeboats' capacity is less than the stated max capacity of the ship.

From the article about lifeboats on @monorailmedic's blog, he does have this (emphasis added):

Number Carried

-Ships must have partially or totally enclosed lifeboats, for 50% of the total capacity of people onboard, at each side (total capacity for 100%)
-Rigid or inflatable liferaft must make up at least 25% of the ship’s total capacity

Inflatable liferaft are common - but do you ever see them?  Yep.  Look on the deck of any ship and you'll see white plastic capsules.  These can be manually deployed, but they are also capable of automatic deployment, both operations can take place even when heavily listing - another requirements in SOLAS.

life raft Liferaft on a deck. Courtesy Wikimedia

The above figures should be looked at a few ways.  For one, they mean that a cruise ship must have lifeboats/rafts for at least 125% of the ship’s total capacity.  That’s a minimum, and it is often exceeded.  Further, most ships don’t sail at full capacity.  You could, for example, sell out every cabin on Norwegian Sky, with no single-occupancy staterooms, yet even with a full compliment of crew, carry only 2,903, despite her capacity of 3,349 passengers.  Why?  “Upper-berths” or bunk beds (also pullout sofas and such).  Generally only a small percentage of 3+ capacity staterooms have more than two people in them.  These factors combined mean that even if a ship is only meeting (rather than exceeding) the required capacities, they may have lifeboats for 1.5 or even 2 times the number of persons on-board during a “full” sailing. 

So it's a pretty clear indication that even if the capacity of the boats you can see doesn't seem to measure up, there are enough emergency rafts around the ship that passengers and crew are more than accommodated.

Ladies and gentleman next time you are on  a cruise  walk around the  the deck and count the number of  lifeboats  multiply their capacity  times the number of life boats and then find out the ships capacity.   You may be surprised at the outcome.  Oh by the way retirement is what ever you make it.  I am looking forward to going back to full time employment this fall after 7 surgeries the past 6 years.  None were serious tho.  I told my wife and sisters last fall that age is only a number, and I am going to write a book titled Born To Never Retire.   Over 40 percent of retired people  go back to work full time.   And last the loops on the life boat are so if you are not in it you can slide your arm thru the loop and hang on to the boat.   Dan welcome to the BLOG.   I have found this blog to be beyond helpful and at times very entertaining.  Thank you JLMORAN I forgot all about the inflatables. I should have been more specific in my post.  

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Not quite sure which way this was intended to be interpreted -- surprised at how much extra capacity there actually is or surprised to find the visible lifeboats' capacity is less than the stated max capacity of the ship.

So it's a pretty clear indication that even if the capacity of the boats you can see doesn't seem to measure up, there are enough emergency rafts around the ship that passengers and crew are more than accommodated.

On OA class the lifeboats are guests, liferafts are for crew.  They have a slinky like tube they descend down to the water level.

Video embedded at this site:

http://crew-center.com/biggest-cruise-ship-life-raft