Question about “extra” tips

I know that TIP pooling is a common practice in the service sector.  In the case of Royal Caribbean, I figured that the prepaid gratuities where the shared portion and what we gave to individuals after that was for them to keep.  I think that RC should make their policy clear to their customers, if just to be above board and transparent.  I have never encountered a room steward who didn't do a good job so if they are pooling tips, it doesn't really bother me.  I think I would feel differently if I had a Genie who was really going out of their way to  make me happy.  I suppose sharing  helps "spread the wealth" because the inclination to tip varies greatly among the passengers.  And yes, the head waiters get a piece of the pie.  That is also a standard practice.   C'est la vie! 

I agree with the comments that RC should just make the policy known. I don’t think it’s something just between the employer and employee because RC should know customers will “extra tip."

In everyday day situations I always tip more than 18% (up to 30% when service is excellent and our party is being difficult or picky) so why would I stiff the employee just because the auto added/pre-paid says 18%? 

I don’t have a problem with tips being pooled to some extent. Having worked as a waitress I know the behind the scenes people are very important to efficiency. But, RC should know that people will want to reward service that goes beyond satisfactory and that its measurement is commensurate with the level of service given… whether that be by extra money or survey. Just let us know which is the better reward.

32 minutes ago, ADK said:

I don’t think it’s something just between the employer and employee because RC should know customers will “extra tip."

Here in the US in many states wait staff in restaurants are not eligible for minimum wage and it's common for wait staff to be paid minimum or no salary and earn the majority of their compensation in tips.  It varies greatly state by state.  Some do get minimum wage.  The nature of their contract or employment agreement isn't public and I'm not sure cruise line employee contracts should be either.  Does anyone want their compensation posted publicly? 

36 minutes ago, ADK said:

In everyday day situations I always tip more than 18% (up to 30% when service is excellent and our party is being difficult or picky) so why would I stiff the employee just because the auto added/pre-paid says 18%?

This is a good point.  18% is average by US standards but is excessive in other regions of the world.  It's even more painful for folks paying high exchange rates from their home currency while sailing RCI.

At the end of the day put everything in a spreadsheet including extra tips if you so choose.  Add it all up from the tip to the porters, the taxi tip, the maid in the hotel room the night before tip and tips you choose to provide on board in addition to the base cruise fare, excursions, transfers, hotels, airfare and auto-gratuities.  That's the total cost to judge whether cruising is of value to you.  Getting hung up in the weeds takes away from my overall cruise enjoyment.

With so many different nationalities travelling with Royal, we all have different customs and traditions. So trying to make it the same for everyone when it comes to cruising is difficult.

I get that in the US, many servers in many states don't make minimum wage so they rely on tips for 90% of their income. Here in Canada, such is not the case..working at Mcdonalds or a coffee shop or a bar, your minimum wage can be  close to $30-35,000/yr plus tips. So someone pouring your coffee or beer or flipping your burger makes the same thing. Why does the one who pour a beer deserve a tip or more of a tip than the other two?

That was just an example of how different it can be from country to country...so to expect everyone to agree and commit to these 18% auto grats and daily grats and feel like Royal will do what's best for its customers and employees is hard to accept and get used to.

Don't even get me started on exchange rates....18% grats really are about a 25% real cost to me with exchange rates..but that's another whole issue.....