LIVEish, 7 Days on Harmony (05/12/2018 or 12/05/2018 add to the mix May 12, 2018)

CGTLH

Have no fear @Lovetocruise2002 I will indeed being doing my live blog in hopefully all its usual glory.

Finally, my turn again to set sail! As you might have guessed based on the topic I'll be setting sail onboard Harmony of the Seas.

This will be my second time onboard Harmony and sailing ninth sailing on an Oasis class ship.

Itinerary brief, Eastern: Ft. Lauderdale, Sea Day, Sea Day, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee, Sea Day, Eviction in Ft. Lauderdale

An idea of what is to come can be seen on my last LIVEish from January on Oasis

Only one new toy this time around, a new laptop. While my Surface Pro 3 has been a great travel companion, it has started to show its age. Last month I was able to get a deal on a discontinued display model Lenovo Flex5 at Costco. Only difference the new model has is a better GPU. Only other thing tech-wise this cruise will be an experiment that involves nonstandard use of tcp/5223.

It’s Friday and the day just started, plus I still have a long day of travel ahead of me. I’m sure I’ll still be up for some time with final packing and other tasks.

Keep an eye open on the Twitter and Periscope feeds listed in my signature. Can’t guarantee I’ll be active on those platforms, but I might do a few quick scopes.

Ohh yeah, forgot. The 360 camera was replaced and I'll make plans to use it early on this cruise, maybe.

50 minutes ago, RamblingRandie said:

Have a great trip. Harmony right now is on my bucket list of ships to sail on. Unfortunately unless I win the lottery it will be a few years.  So I will just have to live vicariously through you.

@RamblingRandie, go through the calendar.  There are some sailings on Harmony that aren't that bad in price.  You have to comb through it though.  Love Harmony.  My favourite ship so far!

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

There are some sailings on Harmony that aren't that bad in price.  You have to comb through it though.  Love Harmony.  My favourite ship so far!

Would you find one for me please, Summer of 2020, oh wait, those itineraries are not out yet, lol...

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not a chance, summer is always crazy.  Unless you go near the end of August (which I totally would if I did not have to go back to work the first week of September).

you could just write a note to the teacher saying you're ill? lol 

59 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not a chance, summer is always crazy.  Unless you go near the end of August (which I totally would if I did not have to go back to work the first week of September).

Well, since I'm going on the BIG one in March (Flying to Sydney!!!), I'll probably be looking for Fall break, lol.

Just now, tiny260 said:

Well, since I'm going on the BIG one in March (Flying to Sydney!!!), I'll probably be looking for Fall break, lol.

When will that be?  I'll be combing through the calendar for myself for Fall 2020-2021 as I can be more flexible with dates that year.  I'll let you know if I spot anything.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

Fall break for my wife's school (In Oklahoma) is usually the middle of October, like this year it is October 15th.

The itineraries aren't out past April of 2020 are they?

Not yet.  I am watching for November this year...if they follow suit with last year.  The summer 2019 sailings for the Caribbean came out in November 2017.

10 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Made it to Ft. Lauderdale, heading to the hotel right now. Uber XL to Embassy Suites on 17th, $20.

Enjoy the hotel! That's where we stayed before our sailing; beautiful atrium, nice pool area, and fantastic complementary breakfast. Pretty friendly bar staff, too.

So far my "nonstandard use" of tcp/5223 is working.

Spoke too soon. Seems that my phone was dual connected to both the hotel network and cellular data at the same time.

Darn, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Enjoy the hotel! That's where we stayed before our sailing; beautiful atrium, nice pool area, and fantastic complementary breakfast. Pretty friendly bar staff, too.

Thanks, it is a very nice property. Not sure now how many times I've stayed here.

Plus it has a nice shopping center right next to it.

Not much to report for today other than I made it to Ft. Lauderdale. Was on the road from around 7:30 am until 5:30 pm. Checked in the hotel, Embassy Suites on 17th. As in May, booked on the "Premium Suites" floor. For the most part all I can tell is it gets you access to a vending machine with drinks (water, orange juice, Sprite, Coke, and Diet Coke) and snacks. Cost to upgrade wasn't that much, maybe 5-10 dollars.

Bit of advice, get the snacks early. Just check out the photos taken a few hours apartO33A8461-HDR.thumb.jpg.e121c1bf8ebc4d431ef5a3dee2772aa0.jpgO33A8518-HDR.thumb.jpg.bd2e1b9e0d576c1bad51296c7c2aeaf5.jpg.

Another nice this about Embassy Suites is their happy hour with drinks and snacks. Then again, don't think I've really ever heard of the brands of spirits used.

20180511_191419.thumb.jpg.478d07d43218ef9733e003d4f1f0ac57.jpgO33A8497-HDR.thumb.jpg.46abd67831a514aa584d77312bbdc3d2.jpg

Few other advantages of Embassy Suites is the shopping center right behind it, wound up having a burger a Gilberts. If you happened to need a few bottles of wine to take aboard there is a Publix and Total Wine. Also nice having the port right around the corner.O33A8553-HDR.thumb.jpg.b8a61894c1ea9876e7a39740e2fae06f.jpg

Just a few shots of the inside and outside...

O33A8539-HDR.jpg

O33A8532-HDR.jpg

O33A8546-HDR.jpg

O33A8447-HDR.jpg

O33A8454-HDR.jpg

O33A8483-HDR.jpg

O33A8490-HDR.jpg

O33A8504-HDR.jpg

O33A8511-HDR.jpg

Biggest tip ever: Make sure you "print"/save a copy of your SetSail pass as a PDF. Then place a copy of it with means to be accessed from another computer.

Somehow either forgot to bring them or never printed them. But the Business Center saved the hassle of having to be manifest verified.

Now off topic: Heading back to the room I did some snack machine recon, looking empty...

O33A8568-HDR.thumb.jpg.1894b3c261540c00e9474576dcc6df9b.jpg

Morning all, packing backup the various chargers and such. Didn't get a chance to grab a shot of the breakfast spread, just my breakfast.

20180512_084727.thumb.jpg.764906ea48acd262efc225055e70e07a.jpg

Looked out the windows and saw my home for the next 7 days...

O33A8582-HDR.thumb.jpg.5746f0ea31f347d790f1aba883dd9483.jpg

Wait, wrong ship...

Ahh, here we go. There she is hiding in the background!

O33A8575-HDR.thumb.jpg.4a2f2aed246155b35a257fe9f51f4f7d.jpg

Next stop, Terminal 18. Sure I'll be leaving the hotel in the next 30 minutes or so.