Harmony sailing on Saturday

It’s finally time to cruise!  We board Harmony for our cruise on Saturday and have a couple of last minute questions please.

First, let me say how wonderful it has been to learn from all the blogs and discussions. This is our first RC cruise and I have been reading for months now and learned so much! Thank you to all the dedicated members for your interactions.

We arrive in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow (listened to the many that recommended going in the day before ?). We get in before noon so we’ll have the afternoon and early evening to explore. We aren’t real adventurous ( well, I should say my husband isn’t ?) so looking for something nice to do; any recommendations?

Second, our hotel offers a shuttle to the port at 10 or 11. We’re planning to try to get the 10 shuttle, but we couldn’t sign up until we arrive. If we can’t get the 10 shuttle would you recommend doing Uber or waiting until 11? Of course, we are anxious to get there as soon as possible but also don’t want to spend too much time waiting in the heat.

Third and I’m sure i’ve read this somewhere over the last few months but can’t remember - how do we use our drink package benefits when boarding if we can’t get our Sea Pass cards at our stateroom until 1:00?

Thanks in advance for your help!  

@crseabrook For number three: Your SetSail pass is used or they ask for your room number. From what I remember they asked for room number until you could get cards.

Second one: I would rather wait in the terminal versus a hotel room. Last year I was at the terminal before they even opened the security lines. This would have been before 10 am.

Looking back at my timeline. Upstairs and waiting by 10:15 and onboard by 11:15.

See ya Saturday...

1 hour ago, crseabrook said:

We arrive in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow (listened to the many that recommended going in the day before ?). We get in before noon so we’ll have the afternoon and early evening to explore. We aren’t real adventurous ( well, I should say my husband isn’t ?) so looking for something nice to do; any recommendations?

Second, our hotel offers a shuttle to the port at 10 or 11. We’re planning to try to get the 10 shuttle, but we couldn’t sign up until we arrive. If we can’t get the 10 shuttle would you recommend doing Uber or waiting until 11? Of course, we are anxious to get there as soon as possible but also don’t want to spend too much time waiting in the heat.

Where are you staying in Fort Lauderdale?  Many of those hotels are super close (within 10 min) from Port Everglades.  An Uber/Lyft would barely cost anything.  Same with a cab.  We cabbed it last time and it only cost $12 total.  Guessing Uber/Lyft would be even less.  I wouldn't wait for a shuttle.  I would just take a cab or Uber/Lyft.  Then you don't have to sit around waiting for others.  And like @CGTLH said, I usually arrive right around 10am too.  Calm and quite at Terminal 18 then.

As far a things to do, @JLMoran spent a few days there recently.  He might have some ideas.  @tonyfsu21 lives there so he might have ideas too.  If you love Mexican food, there's a great restaurant called La Bamba.  Great prices, generous portions, tasty margaritas.  We go there every time we sail out of Fort Lauderdale.  They have 2 locations.

Have a great time.  Harmony is awesome!

47 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

See ya Saturday...

Another @CGTLH live blog?  Hope so.  ?

We need something to hold us over until the Alaska blogs by @Matt and @twangster.

If you’re staying in Fort Lauderdale, see if you are near one of the trolley bus routes. They’re more like taxis than buses, in that you can pretty much hail one or he off one from any point along their route, not  just at designated stopping points like the Publix Mall on 17th Street. And they’re a great way to get to the nearby beaches, Galleria Mall, and other points of interest. $1 per person to get on and go to any point along the way, or Pay $3 each and have all-day access.

Thats really all we did during our couple of days there; hop on the Beach Line trolley, go to the beach or mall, and otherwise wander within walking distance of our hotel. Can’t really recommend any specific places as we were mostly chilling. But isn’t that the best way to start a vacation?

I will definitely second the recommendation for La Bamba. Had two great dinners there, with two equally great Perfect Margaritas.

La Bamba is great if your staying on 17th street you can walk there. Carlos & Pepe’s is just outside the Harbor Shoppes (Publix plaza) and that’s a great option as well if your into Mexican food & margaritas. I suggest if your looking for a relaxing ride, hop on the water taxi and explore the river & maybe hop off at the Las Olas stop and grab something to eat. If your staying on the 17th street corridor you can pick up the water taxi at the Hilton Marina. Not sure where your staying but a high floor facing South at Hilton Marina will afford you an excellent view of the Harmony pulling into port early Sat am. Enjoy!

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

We’re staying at the Holiday Inn Airport Cruise on State St.  We’ll plan to take Uber in the morning to the terminal. I do love margaritas, but being from Oklahoma we have some pretty awesome Mexican restaurants. I don’t usually eat Mexican away from home. Of course, the margaritas are a different story!

@tonyfsu21 thanks for the water taxi info. That sounds right up our alley. We’ll check out Las Olas for dinner.@JLMoran looking into trolley stops near us now. Thanks so much.

@Lovetocruise2002 appreciate the terminal info as I hadn’t even thought of that yet!